Sunset at Palouse Falls

dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
edited May 28, 2009 in Landscapes
While over on the east side of the mountains I made a quick trip to Palouse Falls for sunset. It was really scary having to set my tripod up less than six inches from the edge of this cliff but I didn't want to cut off the swirling pool at the bottom. I hope you guys like this one.

Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 17-40L

3568574550_9e464894e8_o.jpg

Comments

• rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    Danny, that is an outstanding photo. You have to be very proud of that one!! Beautiful colors and great detail!! I would love to see a full size of this one.

Where exactly is Palouse Falls? I have been trying to figure it out, but am not sure. Obviously, it is worth the drive!

Really nice, Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    very, very nice!
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • Picture North CarolinaPicture North Carolina Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    Very nice image. You've done a great job bringing the viewer's attention to the falls.

SmugMug Gallery | Website | Like my Facebook page, I'll like yours
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    Really cool...looks like someone is dumping a pail of water...
  • boblu262boblu262 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    Outstanding!
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
  • VrungelVrungel Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    Spectacular!
    thumb.gif
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    Beautiful shot, I have one that looks pretty similar (wonder why?!) that I'll post eventually. It was a little perilous out on the edge, live view comes in handy, but hand holding the grad-ND filters wasn't much fun. I hope to make it back there when there's some clouds and I have enough time to go exploring around a little bit. But from the top I think this was the best view point. The "Falling may cause death" signs were amusing too.

We were there one day before this:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2009261553_apwasnakebite.html

Ouch.
  • scottVscottV Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    great shot, love the swirly water look.
  • astockwellastockwell Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    Great shot, I hope I get a chance to shoot this falls someday. Great exposure time to get the effect in the pool. The white wisp of water leaving the pool also is great, leads you downstream, and into the shot. Great work. This angle is different than I remember seeing before, seems like every other shot of this the perspective is lower, more parallel with the top of the falls. Can you climb down from there, or is it sheer cliff?

-Andy
  • Secluded ValleySecluded Valley Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    Gorgeous shot. That is such a beautiful area; someday I'll get back there to photograph it.

Kristine
    "How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains!" ~John Muir
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    Danny, just make sure Ron is still your friend when you guys are shooting on the edgemwink.gif
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    ront wrote:
    Danny, that is an outstanding photo. You have to be very proud of that one!! Beautiful colors and great detail!! I would love to see a full size of this one.

Where exactly is Palouse Falls? I have been trying to figure it out, but am not sure. Obviously, it is worth the drive!

Really nice, Ron

Thank you very much. Palouse Falls is about an hour's drive from Steptoe Butte. It's really worth the trip. I just placed it on a map for you.
    edited May 28, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Beautiful shot, I have one that looks pretty similar (wonder why?!) that I'll post eventually. It was a little perilous out on the edge, live view comes in handy, but hand holding the grad-ND filters wasn't much fun. I hope to make it back there when there's some clouds and I have enough time to go exploring around a little bit. But from the top I think this was the best view point. The "Falling may cause death" signs were amusing too.

We were there one day before this:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2009261553_apwasnakebite.html

Ouch.

Maybe they revised the signs after that kayaker couldn't manage to kill himself. Still, I am quite happy that live view kept me from getting any closer to that edge.
    I think I might head back there in a couple of weeks. Hopefully there will be some clouds.
    edited May 28, 2009
    astockwell wrote:
    Great shot, I hope I get a chance to shoot this falls someday. Great exposure time to get the effect in the pool. The white wisp of water leaving the pool also is great, leads you downstream, and into the shot. Great work. This angle is different than I remember seeing before, seems like every other shot of this the perspective is lower, more parallel with the top of the falls. Can you climb down from there, or is it sheer cliff?

-Andy

The trail wraps around and winds along the cliff face about halfway down to the bottom of the canyon. I have a feeling that's where most people set up but I wasn't feeling like hiking back up in the dark. I also think the higher elevation helps in making the terraced cliffs down in the gorge a little more visible.
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    Thanks Danny. The map thing is pretty cool, I did not know that it was available at SmugMug. I think that we are going to have to take another road trip as I would really like to see the falls.

Thanks again, Ron
    dseidman wrote:
    Thank you very much. Palouse Falls is about an hour's drive from Steptoe Butte. It's really worth the trip. I just placed it on a map for you.
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
    edited May 28, 2009
    dseidman wrote:
    Maybe they revised the signs after that kayaker couldn't manage to kill himself. Still, I am quite happy that live view kept me from getting any closer to that edge.
    I think I might head back there in a couple of weeks. Hopefully there will be some clouds.

Let me know when, I was thinking the same thing :D
    edited May 28, 2009
    Danny, just make sure Ron is still your friend when you guys are shooting on the edgemwink.gif

Excellent advice as usual :D