Streephotography, LX3 or G10?

ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
edited June 4, 2009 in Cameras
Hey peeps..

I photograph much less these days and im more focused on graphics such as illustrator and photoshop.

When i do take photos i do it on the street and that some of you have seen my style is sort of simple and "dirty"

So i rather have a camera with me not ALL the time but more often then the DSLR i have now.

I am aware of the flaws of both cameras but i think i like the G10 more, just because its seems more stable and much more comfortable to use.I like the fact there it is much hard buttons on it and the nice little wheel on the backside..Just like my old 20D :D

And the thought of how many lens caps i will loose is just not very pleasant.

Have anyone got any more argument for going G10? Or maby something against it and rate the LX3 higher?

Ive bin in this boat once before i got my small 1000d, i now regret that i did not got the pro compact that i was longing for.

Comments

• keithinmelbournekeithinmelbourne Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    Probably the G10
    I have one of these and find the OVF very useful for the type of photography you're talking about. The G10 has good controls that are easy to change on the fly. I also like the way the manual settings work. I haven't used the LX3, but would find the lack of an OVF a nuisance for street work. However, the 24mm is attractive, and I understand that the noise might be better. Having said that, I have found that the noise on the G10 is minimal below ISO 200 and similar to film grain between 400 and 1600. All in all, a pleasant camera to use. I still prefer my ID anyday.
    Keith

Mumon is right! "Every day is a good day!"

http://www.keithbroadphotography.com/
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited May 27, 2009
    The LX3 goes wider and the G10 goes longer. Both have their place in street photography, but which will work better for you depends on your personal style.
  • ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    I got the G10.

All the hard buttons for every setting and the lovely canon "wheel" was just superior over the very small and scattered buttons/menus on the LX3.

Now i will get a wide converter and some CPL filters and such.

Thanks for the input!
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited June 3, 2009
    Congratulations and good luck. clap.gif

Remember to share the experience with the camera if you would , please. I'm sure we have lots of folks that would be interested.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    A different way to think about this...
    Arvan wrote:
    Hey peeps..

I photograph much less these days and im more focused on graphics such as illustrator and photoshop.

When i do take photos i do it on the street and that some of you have seen my style is sort of simple and "dirty"

So i rather have a camera with me not ALL the time but more often then the DSLR i have now.

I'd suggest going a different way entirely, and that is to go on Ebay or some similar site and find yourself an Olympus E-330. It's a boxy DSLR that looks more like a rangefinder, and has real 'live view' with an articulated screen - you can use it just like a TLR - waistlevel - with virtually no shutter lag. Forget the regular viewfinder - it's a dark tunnel - but the screen is great. And right now I'm using mine with the 11-22 Oly lens set at 11 - figure 22mm - with a cheapo Japanese 21 mm rangefinder finder in the hot shoe. This lets me use the E-330 like a rangefinder, but with autofocus.

B. D.
    www.bdcolenphoto.com
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    I'm becoming familiar with the G10, but have no experience with the LX3.

I find the camera to be quite sturdy. I like the full-featured capabilities, including full manual. I also like that I can use my Canon TTL flashes in the hotshoe.

Not many nits for me yet. But am a bit disappointed by the lack of any info in the viewfinder. The LCD provides lots of info (in varying modes), but for some reason I feel incomplete when not seeing speed & f-stop info in the viewfinder. Also need to be aware that the top dials are prone to moving, expecially if using a small camera bag. Just be sure the ISO & exposure compensation are what you really want when you start shooting.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
    edited June 3, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Arvan wrote:
    Hey peeps..

I'd suggest going a different way entirely, and that is to go on Ebay or some similar site and find yourself an Olympus E-330. It's a boxy DSLR that looks more like a rangefinder, and has real 'live view' with an articulated screen - you can use it just like a TLR - waistlevel - with virtually no shutter lag. Forget the regular viewfinder - it's a dark tunnel - but the screen is great. And right now I'm using mine with the 11-22 Oly lens set at 11 - figure 22mm - with a cheapo Japanese 21 mm rangefinder finder in the hot shoe. This lets me use the E-330 like a rangefinder, but with autofocus.

B. D.
    www.bdcolenphoto.com

Well it is still to big with the lens sticking out. I think it might be better in many aspects.

I took the G10 with me for a quick walk today, just got some really fast snapshots. I´m a big fan so far! it does what i want it to do. Simple as that.

Here are some of the pics, some are 1280x800 crops and some are left untouched cropwise.

553895104_bKsdD-XL.jpg

:NOTE: That this was taken at 28mm with 1/8 shutterspeed @ f/2.8.... I must say the IS is working darn well!

553895978_e8La9-XL.jpg

This was taken with manual focus. It works but i might wish that it would be a bit more responsive. Nothing to really complain about to be honest.

553897392_dSvZV-XL.jpg

The distortion is pretty wild on 28mm..I like this effect most of the time. But sometimes i do want straight lines like in this photo. One thing that i think is just superb is the grid you can put on the 3" display..Just so helpful at building and abstract angles and such...Which is just what i like :)

553894388_gVLNd-XL.jpg

That´s it for now.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited June 3, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Arvan wrote:
    Hey peeps..

B. D.
    www.bdcolenphoto.com

B. D., welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Thanks for your comments. Good idea using a rangefinder in the hotshoe. Eliminates shutter lag and mirror blackout completely. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    I used a G10 for a few days and have some experience with the LX3

LX3 is faster, wider, does better high ISO all sound like great things for street photography.

Personally I don't like the viewfinder of the G10....and with the LCD on the LX3 you can set exposure comp. to get a better exposure
    edited June 3, 2009
    I used a G10 for a few days and have some experience with the LX3

LX3 is faster, wider, does better high ISO all sound like great things for street photography.

Personally I don't like the viewfinder of the G10....and with the LCD on the LX3 you can set exposure comp. to get a better exposure

you can do that on the g10 to? much more easy than using buttons en menus.

One thing im a big fan of when comes to the G10 is the ND filter. Its just a sweetheart when you need longer exposures.

The lens of the lx3 is just superb. That was my main argument for the LX3, but still. If you get mad and frustrated or miss a shot just because the ergonomics and button layout is bad, the whole idea with a camera like this is lost.
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2009
    Arvan wrote:
    you can do that on the g10 to? much more easy than using buttons en menus.

One thing im a big fan of when comes to the G10 is the ND filter. Its just a sweetheart when you need longer exposures.

The lens of the lx3 is just superb. That was my main argument for the LX3, but still. If you get mad and frustrated or miss a shot just because the ergonomics and button layout is bad, the whole idea with a camera like this is lost.

you can do it.....but with the LX3 and the G10 when using the LCD you get a "what you see is what you get" exposure and with the limited dynamic range getting it spot on is very important.
  • ReprobateReprobate Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited June 4, 2009
    I'm into street photography too, and I like my camera to be small and easy within reach for that 'opportunity' shot. That's why I bought a TZ-6. Yeah, yeah, it's a 'compact' but its lens goes from 25mm - 300mm and the 12x zoom isn't too bad either.

Examples [no post-processed shots, all in IA (Intelligent Auto) Mode]:

549231915_cscEB-XL-1.jpg
    549233225_KhGXn-XL-1.jpg
    549234765_vJafC-XL-1.jpg
    553135401_u6SX7-XL.jpg