weekend shots

dreamcometruedreamcometrue Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
edited May 28, 2009 in People
A girlfriend and I went out and practiced shooting this weekend. We played with a 41" 5 in 1 reflector. Here are a few:
1.546354394_CL9Rr-M.jpg
2. 545244379_29psh-M.jpg
3. 547707966_e2Uad-M.jpg
4. 547711853_xMouQ-M.jpg
5 547711772_d7KPn-M.jpg
c&c welcome Thanks all:D
Artistic Design Photography LLC
http://www.adesignphotography.com

Comments

• D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    #3 is a popper! Whatever you girls did here, really worked well. I particularly like the skin tones and hair details of that pic.
  • dreamcometruedreamcometrue Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    D'Buggs wrote:
    #3 is a popper! Whatever you girls did here, really worked well. I particularly like the skin tones and hair details of that pic.

Thank dbuggs!! We had so much fun. I did very well with the natural light. My problem is I am trying to improve my fill flash skills. My problem is it is either to strong or not enoughne_nau.gif. i have been polishing my curves adjustment also using lab color
    edited May 27, 2009
    Thank dbuggs!! We had so much fun. I did very well with the natural light. My problem is I am trying to improve my fill flash skills. My problem is it is either to strong or not enoughne_nau.gif. i have been polishing my curves adjustment also using lab color

Do yourself a HUGE favour
    > Get a handheld light meter and start playing around with ~a 50% reduction of fill to that of ambient. A meter is the only way, to get away, from hit-n-miss photograghy. It doesn't have to be overly fancy, just reliable - Sekonic makes 'em that range all over the pricing spectrum. The one I have is their model # L 308S.

It's the ONLY way to go when fartin' with multiple light sources.... :D
  • FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    I agree, number three eyes are great!!! thumb.gif
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
    edited May 27, 2009
    Thanks for the help. I have been racking my brain trying to play with my flash. I know it has wonderful capabilities, I just need to work it. I am on a budget so I am slowly building up my accessories. 1 through 4 we used a gold reflector with no flash. The thing is I read a lot about always wanting to use the fill flash for portraits. A light meter would defiantly help me.
    edited May 27, 2009
    Q.

What did you do differently between 1 and 3? (believe me, this is likely as much as a learning experience for me, as you :D ),,,, 1 *seems* to have more fill but less colour tone from the reflector (???) I don't "get" that.

2 seems to be crying for more light. Moving in the reflector (closer to subject) should take care of that but you'd still need to shoot and sample the results 'till you got what was needed/ideal. Fine if you got the time and patient models AND a decent laptop to view them on while on site..... Remember back when you first were trying to figure out 1 light source and manual mode??? You just stepped back to that same spot when you added another light source.

Perhaps look into info on light ratios. Try this site: http://www.studiolighting.net/. he deals mostly with studio lighting set-ups but the concept is the same as you're doing here. IIRC, he did a tute on ambient anf flash fill too, just snoop around a bit and take in ALL his tutorials - I'm SURE that they'll be helpful.

BTW I checked out your website; you have some real fine stuff there!
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    The angle on 3 is very flattering and she has a great expression. Skin tones look the most natural to me in this one.

Caroline
  • bakerphotographybakerphotography Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    Yep - have to continue the trend...#3 is the best. Skin tone and eye complimented nicely.

www.bakerphotography.net

Canon Shooter:ivar

Canon 1dMkII
    Canon 85mm 1.2
    580EX-II
    Canon 70-300 4-5.6 IS USM
    Gary Fong LSII
    AB800 / AB400
    Calumet Genesis 250
    edited May 28, 2009
    Thank you soooo much everyone for the flattering posts. :D