Redwoods and the Lost Coast

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
edited May 28, 2009 in Landscapes
The holiday weekend was a wonderful excuse to continue our exploration of the wilds of California. We gave up a lot to move here, but the unique terrain, weather, flora, fauna, and geography was just too nice ot miss. So far we've hit up several really nice areas, but I haven't processed any photos yet.

So, working backwards, here are a few from the fog belt, home of the giant redwoods.

These woods are the quintessential forest. They grow because the weather is nice, but at least down by Humboldt State Park, we never saw fog amongst the trees.

546287756_5WSqJ-L.jpg

Marc's father has a shot that I love. It goes something like this, but with nicer light, stronger composition, and of course better dynamic range! :D

547305090_Fmb2Z-XL.jpg

So there was sun around midday, but climbing to towards the coast is another matter:

546332140_pPdbb-XL.jpg

547687553_KeQJt-L.jpg

Watching the ocean air mix with mountain currents is just amazing. I could watch it all day. Unfortunately, it was a race as it was to get back to civilization before full nightfall on a very steep, windy road.

546613995_hWrcD-L.jpg

Occasionally the clouds blow right over and you get sun:

546202912_FrtZu-L.jpg

The Lost Coast is so beautiful. It's one of the most pristine stretches of the Pacific, closely behind Alaska and Canada. Now that I've been there, I'd say this is because here are just too many private cow pastures to make beach access simple. But there are ways, of course. We spent one day scouting and the second day exploring:

546265646_qi6z7-L.jpg

Here is the most western point of the continental US, Cape Mendocino. There is a marker for the Mendocino Lighthouse, but apparently the lighthouse itself has been moved 30 miles south to the town of Shelter Cove. Of course, we didn't know any of this until we got home. The rocks just looked really cool and very dangerous.

I'm not sure what's out there now amongst those rocks except seagulls, snails, urchins, and anemones in the tide pools:

547687576_2LBnn-L.jpg

We camped out at this site with the full intent to catch sunset, but the clouds rolled in at the last hour, cutting it short.

I've put up a Journeys thread with the rest of the shots, but thanks for looking!

Comments

• DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    They're Schmooriffic! :smo:smo:smo:smo:smo!

I like #6! thumb.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • PHOTOemptPHOTOempt Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    lovely series schmoo. i really love #7, the coast line looks really dreamy. those redwoods are hard. i got to muir woods after catalina, and was amazed at the fog, rain, and fight with the burn out sky. your images are good - as usualclap.gif
    Sarah A Wager, MB BS

+39 075 878 0642 or on the web at
    www.photoempt.com
    photoempt.smugmug.com
    www.rjslade.com
    and if you are interested in our italian cooking school here in Monte Castello di Vibio check out www.umbriacucina.com
  • a110p0a110p0 Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    Great series Schmoo.

I've been to the redwoods, but never been to the Lost Coast and I've
    lived in CA all my life.

Your shots are great motivation to make the time to visit.

Alvin
    Alvin
    Fremont, CA
    SmugMug Gallery
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited May 27, 2009
    a110p0 wrote:
    I've been to the redwoods, but never been to the Lost Coast and I've
    lived in CA all my life.

You should go. Magical.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Secluded ValleySecluded Valley Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    Those are beautiful, Schmoo clap.gifthumb.gif I grew up in Cali and have never been to the Lost Coast; it looks wonderful.

Kristine
    "How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains!" ~John Muir
  • astockwellastockwell Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    2 and 7 FTW. Flare through the trees works very well, and the leading line in 7 with the water/surfline is great. Great landscape. Also, how much did you crop the original on #7, I will offer just a little critique, if you cropped from the top, due to negative space, think about tilting down next time, and picking up the whole rock that got cut off at the bottom. Then you get the sky at the same spot you cropped to, and get the whole rock. Looks like you might have been elevated above the rock when you shot also, not sure.

-Andy
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    #1 kicks a**... wonderful!

Cheers,
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    Thanks guys! Alvin, definitely go. I'd love to see what you'd do with those views! thumb.gif

Andy - Thanks for your suggestions! I didn't really crop that shot, as it's a two-shot pano. I had a heck of a time composing the view and I still hate how the big rock in the distance is smack dab in the center, but it was the best compromise, I think, given that I wanted the curve of the waterline on the right.

That shot is a stitch of two portrait-oriented shots. And yes I was standing on top of the rock, just to prevent from getting splashed by freezing seawater :D But that means I don't have any shots with more foreground. rolleyes1.gif
  • astockwellastockwell Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    Thanks guys! Alvin, definitely go. I'd love to see what you'd do with those views! thumb.gif

Andy - Thanks for your suggestions! I didn't really crop that shot, as it's a two-shot pano. I had a heck of a time composing the view and I still hate how the big rock in the distance is smack dab in the center, but it was the best compromise, I think, given that I wanted the curve of the waterline on the right.

That shot is a stitch of two portrait-oriented shots. And yes I was standing on top of the rock, just to prevent from getting splashed by freezing seawater :D But that means I don't have any shots with more foreground. rolleyes1.gif

I see what you mean about the big rock in the center, if you would have centered more to the right, you would have had more beach, but often, that is just empty space. And yeah if you had to comprimise, it was a good one.

-Andy
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    clap.gif :smo
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    Wow thank you Marc and Andy!

We mused about how the magical light seems to be Muench-driven. headscratch.gif Still trying to figure out if what we're missing is experienced optimism and an ability to make lemonade out of lemons, or if we just pick the wrong days to stalk sunsets. lol3.gif
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    Love the first two and the second to last beach shot. Hopefully you'll get to be there when there's a colorful sunset and low tide to catch some of the reflecting light in all those rocks in the foreground. Looks like a great location.