1929 Chevrolet Fire Engine

Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
edited May 31, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Saw this old fire engine in a parade in a neighboring town. I guess they're called fire trucks nowadays but I've always known them as fire engines.

538819477_dPmBb-XL.jpg

538995422_PBW2W-L.jpg

538818943_5JmkP-XL.jpg

538818776_XXy2R-XL.jpg

538818663_8vgcC-XL.jpg

Jack
(My real name is John but Jack'll do)

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    Hi Jack,

That's a real nice find and capture. The distortion from that lens is, however, pretty pronounced. Must have been a real wide-angle lens.

I'd love to have a toy like that truck. I knew some guys who found one....thought they'd fix it up and have some fun. Many dollars and many hours later, they gave up. They sold it for practically nothing and said they were glad to escape the thing.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    Wow Jack, that is a nice set..... I like the distorted pic what lens did you use?????
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    Saw this old fire engine in a parade in a neighboring town. I guess they're called fire trucks nowadays but I've always known them as fire engines.

Hi Jack, they were always known as Fire Trucks for me too,
    I still hear people call them Fire Trucks nod.gif

Todays vehicles have change quite a bit compared to this Little Red Engine.

Nice work thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    Hi Jack,

That's a real nice find and capture. The distortion from that lens is, however, pretty pronounced. Must have been a real wide-angle lens.

I'd love to have a toy like that truck. I knew some guys who found one....thought they'd fix it up and have some fun. Many dollars and many hours later, they gave up. They sold it for practically nothing and said they were glad to escape the thing.

Take care,

Tom

Hi Tom
    Yup the Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 like all ultra-wide lenses does tend to distort making the near subject larger and the far portions smaller but IMHO that's the charm of it. When I was in grammar school in the 1940's I passed a firehouse where my uncle was stationed every day on my way home. They had an old fire engine that I used to love to play on.

The one above is a far cry from this one which was also in the parade.

538819626_dLkZN-L.jpg

Jack
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    Howdy John,

What a neat series and wonderful captures, it's amazing the technology for that time and it's so neat they are still around for us to enjoy.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    Very Nice thumb.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    Nice, very colorful, set of detailing pictures. thumb.gif Good looking ol' fire engine.
    Michael
    edited May 29, 2009
    Azzaro wrote:
    Wow Jack, that is a nice set..... I like the distorted pic what lens did you use?????

Thanks so much Azzaro. These were taken with a D700 and 14-24mm f/2.8 lens. The side whole views were at 14-17 mm and the head on ones at 24mm.

Jack
    edited May 30, 2009
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi Jack, they were always known as Fire Trucks for me too,
    I still hear people call them Fire Trucks nod.gif

Todays vehicles have change quite a bit compared to this Little Red Engine.

Nice work thumb.gif .... Skippy :D

Thanks Skippy.
    This is an old pumper. All of the towns near me (including mine) are rural communities with very few hydrants so the pumper would pump water from rivers, ponds,or streams.

Jack
    edited May 31, 2009
    Panther wrote:
    Howdy John,

What a neat series and wonderful captures, it's amazing the technology for that time and it's so neat they are still around for us to enjoy.

Thanks Craig. The pump itself seems to be connected to the engine or transmission like a PTO.

Jack