Options

Great Sand Dunes visit tips?

GriffinGriffin Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
I'll be visiting the Great Sand Dunes NP in CO soon - does anyone have some good photography tips? I'll be camping there but I won't be able to devote the entire time to photography. Is morning or evening a better light? Equipment tips?

Ben

Comments

• Options
    BeaKeRBeaKeR Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    Never been myself, despite living in Denver for 7 years. rolleyes1.gif

I've heard some horror stories of gear ruined by the sand. I imagine all the usual beach tips apply - ie, don't change lenses on the sand no matter what.
  • Options
    Adam SchallauAdam Schallau Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    Griffin wrote:
    I'll be visiting the Great Sand Dunes NP in CO soon - does anyone have some good photography tips? I'll be camping there but I won't be able to devote the entire time to photography. Is morning or evening a better light? Equipment tips?

Ben
    I prefer afternoon/evening light, but it is all good at Great Sand Dunes. Come prepared to shoot everything from wide-angle to telephoto compositions. Depending on when you get there, Medano Creek may still be flowing.

I'll be heading up there tomorrow and would be happy to give an update on current conditions here in your post. FYI, the campground has been filling-up by 2:00pm on Thursdays and remaining full through the weekend.

Here are some of my shots from Great Sand Dunes National Park & Preserve.

Adam Schallau

Website | Facebook | Grand Canyon Photography Workshops | In the Bag

photographing the landscape, culture and spirit of the American West
  • Options
    Adam SchallauAdam Schallau Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    I wanted to add that you really need to pay attention to the weather if you are visiting during the summer. It can change very quickly and intense lightning is possible. Obviously there is no where to take shelter if you are exploring the dune field.

As BeaKeR mentioned, wind is also a very serious concern. I keep my camera and lenses wrapped in 1-gallon Ziploc (R) bags to protect them and I try to minimize lens changes. It may not be a bad idea to use UV/protective filters if the wind is blowing. In addition to the above I use a Storm Jacket camera cover when the camera is exposed to the elements.

Adam Schallau

Website | Facebook | Grand Canyon Photography Workshops | In the Bag

photographing the landscape, culture and spirit of the American West
  • Options
    AFBlueAFBlue Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    I wanted to add that you really need to pay attention to the weather if you are visiting during the summer. It can change very quickly and intense lightning is possible. Obviously there is no where to take shelter if you are exploring the dune field.

Two comments:
    Shadows are important in capturing the details of the dunes, so early morning/late afternoon/early evening would be better.
    Take the comment about weather VERY seriously. I've only been there twice (July and September), but have been caught in big-time thunderstorms (very high winds, lightning, hail) both times. Last visit, we had severe thunderstorms 2 of the 3 nights we were there and our tent was damaged beyond repair.