Options

In flight photos of propeller aircraft?

codruscodrus Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
edited May 27, 2009 in Technique
Last weekend I shot some pictures of WW2-vintage aircraft at Moffett Field, both static and in motion (takeoff, landing, in-flight). For the dynamic pictures, I wanted the propellers blurred, which meant keeping the shutter speed at or below 1/160. I was using my new Canon 70-200 2.8 IS lens, with the 1.4x teleconverter (on a 50D), so by the "one over focal length" rule of thumb I really needed 1/500 to avoid motion blur. IS helped to some degree, but most of the pictures still show motion blur on the subject when pixel peeping at 100%.

Any thoughts on how to improve this? Since I was panning the camera with the aircraft, I tried the IS in both modes, but it didn't seem to make much difference. I'm not sure whether or not that would have really helped with the in-flight shots, though, since the planes weren't moving horizontally in relation to the camera. Any suggestions on ways to improve this?

The best of the shots are here:
http://codrus.smugmug.com/gallery/8308588_9AJsE#544184014_iXzpu

thanks,
--Ian

Comments

• Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    For similar situations in auto races, I use a monopod. It helps keep shake to a minimum, and helps me smoothly pan. I do not have an IS lens so can not comment on how that would help, but I think it would. Not sure about the shots in flight, but perhaps you can take some notes from the birders in Dgrin, who often use such devices as a Wimberley or Sidekick on a tripod to get really sharp birds in flight images.

392154428_CShRT-M.jpg
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited May 27, 2009
    codrus wrote:
    Last weekend I shot some pictures of WW2-vintage aircraft at Moffett Field, both static and in motion (takeoff, landing, in-flight). For the dynamic pictures, I wanted the propellers blurred, which meant keeping the shutter speed at or below 1/160. I was using my new Canon 70-200 2.8 IS lens, with the 1.4x teleconverter (on a 50D), so by the "one over focal length" rule of thumb I really needed 1/500 to avoid motion blur. IS helped to some degree, but most of the pictures still show motion blur on the subject when pixel peeping at 100%.

Any thoughts on how to improve this? Since I was panning the camera with the aircraft, I tried the IS in both modes, but it didn't seem to make much difference. I'm not sure whether or not that would have really helped with the in-flight shots, though, since the planes weren't moving horizontally in relation to the camera. Any suggestions on ways to improve this?

The best of the shots are here:
    http://codrus.smugmug.com/gallery/8308588_9AJsE#544184014_iXzpu

thanks,
    --Ian

Ian, that is always a challenge.

I find anywhere between 1/125th and 1/500th will get you some blur of the blades, but more of the rotation at the slower shutter speeds. As you say, as you drop the shutter speed to capture the prop rotation, you risk blurring the image due to camera movement when shooting with long glass. You can see some of them here - http://pathfinder.smugmug.com/Airplanes

Most of mine were shot hand held with a non-IS lens ( there are some exceptions to that statement so be sure to check the exif data for each image ) - a Tamron 200-500 Di. While I do use a Wimberly head to shoot birds with big long glass, I think it might be harder to shoot planes with a Wimberly mount, as planes frequently fly vertically overhead, and that is tough for me follow easily with a Wimberly mount. Probably be ok for flat trajectory take offs and landings, but not for acrobatics or faux air to air combat. That is why I shoot handheld.ne_nau.gif Maybe a monopod might be of some help, but I'll bet it works a lot better for shooting at the track than an acrobatic plane in the air. Just my opinion.

I think shooting in high frame rate with bursts of 3 to 6 frames helps get a single shot in the middle sharper than shooting single shot for each shutter press. I think this really can make a difference. I am not sure IS really helps a lot with airplanes in flight myself. It will help on the ground, that I do agree with.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin