Lassen Volcanic Park

CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
edited June 1, 2009 in Landscapes
Last September I took a big road trip up through a number of National Parks, Yosemite, Crater Lake, Lava Beds and ultimately ending at Lassen Volcanic Park in northern California. Yosemite is Yosemite. I could have taken my whole trip there and returned happy. BUT if I had to choose another park to have spent more time at, it would be Lassen, without a doubt. I still haven't processed all the shots from my trip yet (what can I say, I get distracted easily), but here's a couple I've gotten done so far...

1) I think I've already posted this shot, but it deserves another go 'round
455871639_V2mT4-L-2.jpg

2) About 20 minutes before #1, this little guy was paddling around in the last of the light
543223444_sgDc4-L-1.jpg

3) Dead Tree at the Bumpass Hell trailhead
543223588_fUiM3-L-1.jpg

4) Due to the parks volcanic origins, there is a lot of hydrothermal activity in the park, Bumpass Hell is (I think) the most active and the sulfer and other minerals coming up create some awesome colors on the ground
543121404_8uHkJ-L-1.jpg

5)
543120939_z2h5G-L-1.jpg

6)
543135986_8i97j-L-1.jpg

7)
543136198_WcQpp-L-1.jpg

As always, comments and suggestions are welcomed! :thumb
Chris
SmugMug QA
My Photos

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    Chris this looks FANTASTIC! I have not heard much about this park but I just bought this incredibly detailed map of CA and Lassen is high on my list, mostly because it's new to me. I'm so pleased to see that the terrain is so unique and you did get some really nice shots out there even in the middle of the day. Hows the climate?
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    Chris this looks FANTASTIC! I have not heard much about this park but I just bought this incredibly detailed map of CA and Lassen is high on my list, mostly because it's new to me. I'm so pleased to see that the terrain is so unique and you did get some really nice shots out there even in the middle of the day. Hows the climate?

Thanks, Schmoo!! :D

I went to Lassen on sort of "spur of the moment," I had planned on spending a lot more time at Lava Beds way up north in Ca., but found it desolate to the point of uniteresting instead of being a cool challenge to shoot. After I left Lava Beds I stopped at a small coffee shop with Wi-Fi and found Lassen. Not wanting my vacation to end, I headed over there for a couple days. It was absolutely spectacular!! I highly recomend visiting and visiting soon!!! (not that I think the park is going anywhere, but the sooner you visit, the sooner you can go back!! mwink.gif )

I was there about mid-September and the weather was spot on PERFECT! At least vacation-wise... a couple clouds in the sky would have made it photography perfect as well. T-shirt and shorts all day and a sweatshirt and jeans were comfortable after the sun went down. Elevation is pretty high, so I wouldn't be surprised if they still had snow in those parts right now, but I imagine that before too long it'll be back to perfect conditions!

There's a couple more shots in my Lassen gallery, though they're not much different than what's posted. Hopefully I'll get some more in there before too long! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    edited May 28, 2009
    CWSkopec wrote:
    the sooner you visit, the sooner you can go back!! mwink.gif )

lol3.gif So very true!

The colors in your photos are just amazing. They match your banner pretty well too, which is another plus thumb.gif

Thanks for the tips. Sounds like your little side trip was really worth it - the best kind of accidents! Can't wait to see more from your entire trip. Crater Lake is up on my list, too. :D
    edited May 29, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    lol3.gif So very true!

The colors in your photos are just amazing. They match your banner pretty well too, which is another plus thumb.gif

Thanks for the tips. Sounds like your little side trip was really worth it - the best kind of accidents! Can't wait to see more from your entire trip. Crater Lake is up on my list, too. :D

Thanks again, Schmoo!! :D

I'll do my best to get some from the trip processed and posted soon!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    The first two are my favorite- beautiful and peace filled!thumb.gif
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,467 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    edited May 30, 2009
    Eia wrote:
    The first two are my favorite- beautiful and peace filled!thumb.gif

Thank you Eia! thumb.gif
    It truly was a beautiful and peaceful sunset!!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    edited May 30, 2009
    Did you hike Lassen Peak? Nice series BTW!

Thanks, Mike! :D
    I didn't get the chance to hike the peak, as much as I'm sure the views up there are absolutely astounding, I just couldn't prolong my vacation long enough to hike the peak and still see as much of the rest of the park as I did. Next time! :D

If you've hiked that peak, I'd love to see your shots from up there!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    Great series Chris. I did not even know about this park. I will definitely have to check it out sometime. Very nice!!!

Cheers,
    edited May 30, 2009
    shniks wrote:
    Great series Chris. I did not even know about this park. I will definitely have to check it out sometime. Very nice!!!

Cheers,

CA Dgrin shootout! lol3.gif
    edited May 30, 2009
    shniks wrote:

Cheers,

Thanks, Nikhil!! :D

I wish it was a little closer to home, I've learned a lot since I was there and would love to go back with what I've learned, but all my vacation days for this year are already spoken for...:cry
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    edited May 30, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    CA Dgrin shootout! lol3.gif

AWESOME!!! Next year's right? mwink.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    Excellent series Chris. clap.gifclap
    edited May 31, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Excellent series Chris. clap.gifclap

Thank you, Dan!! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,467 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2009
    CWSkopec wrote:

If you've hiked that peak, I'd love to see your shots from up there!

It's on my backpacking website:

The Backcountry: Lassen Peak

BTW, this is before digital and before I got "into" photography.
    edited June 1, 2009
    It's on my backpacking website:

The Backcountry: Lassen Peak

BTW, this is before digital and before I got "into" photography.

Very cool shots, Mike! No need to qualify them as being before you were "into" photography! Looks like you had a great day there, and that I should have taken the chance to hike the peak while I was there!

Thanks for sharing! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos