Looking for a wide angle lens for my D90

Sil3ntp8nd8Sil3ntp8nd8 Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
edited May 28, 2009 in Cameras
I have been reading pages and pages of wide angle lenses for a nikon d90.

Everyone says this and this about that and that. So far I think the sigma 10-20 will be fine. I will not be spending more than $800 on one as I need other camera stuff. Opinions? thanks!

Comments

• Chris_NDChris_ND Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    I have been reading pages and pages of wide angle lenses for a nikon d90.

Everyone says this and this about that and that. So far I think the sigma 10-20 will be fine. I will not be spending more than $800 on one as I need other camera stuff. Opinions? thanks!

I got my sigma for 480 shipped. And I love mine.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited May 28, 2009
    I also use a Sigma 10-20mm, f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM. While mine has a slight decentering problem wide open it is not a problem at middle apertures, where I normally use it.

It's a very nice lens and I plan on keeping mine a very long time. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited May 28, 2009
    Good choice...I've got one and it's usually on my camera most of the time.
  • TizianoTiziano Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    I love my Tokina 11-16mm and I use it on a D90.
    Here's a good review of it as well as Nikon's own offering:
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/tokina/11-16mm.htm
    A Nikon D90 plus some Nikon, Sigma & Tokina lenses.
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    I have the Sigma 10-20. Not the worlds most amazing lens, but certainly worth the $. Works great as my wide angle.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    I have the Sigma 10-20. Not the worlds most amazing lens, but certainly worth the $. Works great as my wide angle.

Where does it lack?????......as I would also need this to have a wide angle if I push the button on the oly order:D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    Another vote for the Tokina 11-16mm. I don't shoot D90; shoot the D300 and it is a very sharp lens. Well constructed and feels good when shooting. AF works well and very fast... well, it does have a short focal length so you'd expected it to be fast. Very easy to switch from AF to manual focus, just push or pull the focus ring.

Nice lens all around. Hard to find though. Try canogacamera.com. They're a local store who is very reputable. They have a nice online store and I was able to find mine there when no one else had it. Even if they are out of stock, call them and they can usually get one within a week or two.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Sil3ntp8nd8Sil3ntp8nd8 Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    looks like i might buy the tokina 11-16 if i can find one cheap enough.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    I just checked Canoga Camera. They actually have the Tokina in stock. If you are serious, I'd jump on it because they sell quick. That is what happened to me.

I provided a link below. They have it for $590 and free shipping. If you're not in California, you won't pay tax.

http://www.canogacamera.com/detail.aspx?ID=44948

Hope this is helpful.

Alex
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site