Barn Revisted

DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
edited May 29, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
I Did make it back to the barn tonight. Was dive bombed by owls, almost stepped on 3ft Rattlesnake and was buzzed by bats leaving the nearby Palm tree.
Took some shots(after getting heart rate back down from rattlesnake encounter) that made me happy but I still am going with the fountain shot.

But after the ordeal I had to post these.

OK now I am torn between these next 2 for entry I posted the Fountian but would like opinions on the two shots
My Favorite redited
548475525_Trr9u-L-0.jpg

Recropped entry
548321182_VSz57-L.jpg

548338450_eF5zd-L.jpg
North star directly above peak
548340167_ycmHK-L.jpg
Chris K. NANPA Member
http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/

Comments

• dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    I guess I won't be trying that! All I would be able to think of was snakes.

clap.gif I LOVE the first one. They are all good, but that is my favorite. I'm glad you made it back out there even if you don't use them.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    I am completely phobic about snakes, as in... a 3" garden snake would freak me out as much as that 3ft rattler. ::SHUDDER:: :yikes :uhoh :hide

LOVE #1. Much better than the fountain, IMO - more interesting, more light-dominant and just... well... beautiful.

Nits: what's going on in the lower left hand corner - is it cloning or...? Perhaps shave a tiny bit more off the bottom of the crop to minimise the impact of that without losing the light that gives it its depth?

Also, the horizon seems slightly off (tilting to the left), but then when I look at it again I'm not sure WHERE the straight line should be! However, perhaps play with straightening it slightly?

Beautiful shot - and kudos to you for being The Intrepid Photographer - there is NO WAY that anybody would have got me out there (and folks, please, please, PLEASE for the sake of your snakeophobic fellow dgrinners don't post unexpected slithery shots in this thread to be opened unawares - begging you!! I daren't open anything in Wildlife that doesn't have a clear header for that reason - yes, I really am THAT crazy freaked by them... )
  • jeffgrovesjeffgroves Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    snakes do get the heart racing don't they?
    Snakes aside, I am glad to see that you went back.
    Man, all of these are a significant step up from your initial post. Excellent work.

I have to agree with the others. I really like the first one, really. A lot! thumb.gif That is beautiful.
    I wanted to like the stars shots, but as neat as it is to me, we have all seen that and it takes away from the simplicity. The lighting of the barn in the first shot is spot on, my friend - no pun intended.

As for the fountain, I really like what you did and that would be a great photo to enter if you didn't have the barn shot!

Good work.
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    I am looking at it again this morning I might reconsider the entry. I needed to put something now since I am going out of town.
    There is hardly a straight line to be had, the old barn is on a rock foundation and is off kilter and the ground is sloping. It is an old homestead lot of rock walls around it and old farm equipment strewn about.

DIva I will try and remember that about snake posting.

It has been a long time since I have had to jump that high, I made moves that would make a ballerina blush. He was in the barn when I walked through it when it was still light. I was busy looking up at the owls when I stepped right over him. He must have been sleeping after I passed by he lit up with the rattling.
    My camera was back on the tripod or i would have got a shot of him before I chased him down his burrow. I stayed on the flat with barely grass areas and away from the rocky areas the rest of the night.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
  • nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    I absolutely love #1, especially with the way the moon came out. The light has created a very unique mood to the shot.
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

• bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    Of the last set in the previous post I liked the fountain the best...however...now you have one that I really like! #1 for sure.

Shoe in!
    edited May 28, 2009
    You guys are making it tough. I guess I like the fountain because of how it looked after the shot if you seen it before or in the daylight it is unimpressive. But with the front fill flash and the Speedlight with orange gel held directly above it really brought it to life. That causes my attachment to it but it is not relevant for the contest.

But then it does not work in the contest before and after shots, but that could be a good theme for a future DSS

I love the barn and the area it is in and it is growing on me too.
    Here is a daylight shot showing the area taking before the contest timeframe
    528672349_Tf9Ng-L.jpg
    Chris K. NANPA Member
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    Yep.. out of the last set, I favored the fountain and I still do think it is very entry worthy... Now, out of these I like #1 best... and think that is awesome and is also a strong contender..

Glad to see you came back alive from all of the snakes and wildlife.. looks like it paid off...

Kat
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    #1 is great!
  • BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    I really like what you did with the lighting on the barn in #1 - definitely the best of the bunch. The fountain is interesting and I totally understand your attachment, but it doesn't speak to me like the barn does. Impressive work!

Glad you survived the snake incident - one of those rare but serious occupational hazards! Just be sure that next time, if you do get bit, you have your camera ready to capture the action! Laughing.gif (Reminds me of that joke: "If you saw a man drowning and had to choose whether to save him or take a picture of the event...what kind of film would you use?") mwink.gif
    Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!
    edited May 29, 2009
    Thank you for all input on this project. We did go with the barn after marketing research completed.
    But then of course something else might show up,
    you never know.
    Chris K. NANPA Member