DSS #26 please help me choose

BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
edited May 29, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Sorry to have so many posts here but I'm terrible at making decisions...:dunno

I have three ideas for the Modify the Light theme and need some help choosing a final entry. Last minute C&C welcome! Here are my choices:

#1 "Leitmotif" (current entry)
545158517_fYJh2-L.jpg]
Light thru window supplemented with rear-curtain flash as I moved into the frame for a ghostly double-exposure look, then re-shot low res pixelated version off my computer screen for visible RGB light pixels. Post-modern pop-art?

#2 "'Maters in the Rain"
546593515_ESwwV-L.jpg
Backlit with evening sun, light modified with artificial "rain" via sprayer hose, fill flash in front, contrast and saturation adjustments. Traditional stock photo?

#3 "Early bird..." (still working on the title)
548193050_fbKXd-L.jpg
Bird nest (obviously) on ledge inside transom window over front door (between glass so no chance of disturbing the eggs!), light modified through frosted glass giving misty appearance, faded color and high ISO grain for antique look. Hallmark card?

Kind of all over the place with these...any thoughts on which fits the theme best, and/or which is the best image overall? I'm still partial to #1 because of the experimental technique which was a lot of fun to do, but your objective opinion is very much appreciated. (Thanks again for the comments and suggestions so far which have already been so helpful.)
Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!

Comments

• staypuffinpcstaypuffinpc Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    tomatoes and "rain"
    For me, I like #2 the best, per this theme. #1 Doesn't do it for me at all and #3 is "nice," but doesn't stand out as anything special. Of course, my opinions are anything but objective, so take it for what's it's worth. Good luck!
    {something witty here}
  • jeffgrovesjeffgroves Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    my thoughts....
    Hey Benjer!

I really like the tomato shot, the way the rain drops catch the sunlight really grabs my attention.

I have seen the first two several times now as I have floated around this forum and I have to be honest with you. I really don't care that much for the first one. While I understand what you were trying to do, to meet the challenge at an extreme level, you may have over thought it a bit. Technically, I give it an A+, but visually it really doesn't grab me that much. Just my humble opinion.

I like the eggs as well, but the tomatoes get my vote. Glad to see that you are still working through the decision process.

Thank you for your help and support on my work as well!
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    Seeing them next to each other, and with the final adjustments, I have to say the 'maters are the one. That shot has REALLY evolved, and it's simply a gorgeous photograph. I have to remind myself that ultimately that's the goal - not a themeworthy shot that's "quite good" but an AMAZING shot that also fits the theme - those rain-soaked tomatoes certainly do that for me.
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Seeing them next to each other, and with the final adjustments, I have to say the 'maters are the one. That shot has REALLY evolved, and it's simply a gorgeous photograph. I have to remind myself that ultimately that's the goal - not a themeworthy shot that's "quite good" but an AMAZING shot that also fits the theme - those rain-soaked tomatoes certainly do that for me.

15524779-Ti.gif
  • bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    I do have to agree with diva! #1 though quite interesting and technically well done doesn't really grab my attention. #3 is a great shot and between 1 and 3, 3 gets my vote hands down. However, you have #2, which to me is above and beyond the other two. The water gives it an amazing lighting effect, especially some of the splashes around the bottom that almost look like star effects. I think you took a simple idea, and made it into a wonderful composition. The saturation I think is spot on and this photo just pops and grabs your attention right away. I don't know about anybody else, but when I look at a photo, consciously or not I think my first reaction is to the "wow" factor. And #2 has it totally.

My opinion.

Nice job on all of them. I wish I had three strong contenders like you and had to make a tough decision, but alas, I only have one worthy shot for my entry. :D
  • nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    All 3 are very nice, but #3 has that early morning haze feel with very attractive lighting which is why I like the best.
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

• DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    Lovin them maters
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    #3 deal.gif

#2 looks good, but I spent more time looking into the details of 3 so thats why it gets my vote
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    #3 is gorgeous
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    #2 get's my vote.

BTW, I tried to take a similar shot a while back, but with strawberries. As I was about to take the shot, my dog walked up and starting eating the strawberries. She knock everything over and the other three dogs went at them. I never did finish the shot and the dogs ended up eating all of the strawberries within a few seconds.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    I have absolutely no sympathy for you Ben...rolleyes1.gif it was hard enough with the first (2) and then you went and shot another....!!! stop it....rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

You know "I love the Maters"... thumb.gifThis was my vote from the beginning and I was so sure of it too....................>> but now........ > I really do favor the light play in the nest too and the feeling it gives. There are so many layers of depth and then the subtle color...

still.. I am gonna have to vote for the "maters" they hit the theme and are shot very well technically speaking.... now I leave before I change my mind to #3.....

Kat
  • BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    Wow, thanks guys for responding to my call for help! I appreciate the kind words, and there's lots of good comments and opinions to chew on...I'm pretty sure which way I'm gonna go with this now... mwink.gif

Alex: please tell me you at least got some shots of the canine strawberry madness! Maybe not the shot you had planned, but I'm just imagining the look of guilty pleasure on your dogs' faces (and perhaps the astonishment on yours?)! Do share if you got 'em!
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    I like all three, but I really like the tomato shot.
    edited May 29, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    I like all three, but I really like the tomato shot.

Thanks Ron! I went ahead and entered that one in the gallery. Speaking of which, there's a conspicuous absence among the entries - any chance we'll see one from you this round??
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    Benjer wrote:
    Thanks Ron! I went ahead and entered that one in the gallery. Speaking of which, there's a conspicuous absence among the entries - any chance we'll see one from you this round??

Yes :D
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    I see you entered the tomata which is a great shot but my vote goes for three. It's stunning.
    edited May 29, 2009
    I see you entered the tomata which is a great shot but my vote goes for three. It's stunning.

Ha ha...well, there's still time to change my mind (just when I thought I was done)! And thanks for such kind words.
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    One more vote for the 'maters.thumb.gif
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book