RFI - Camera for 'work'

flacoflaco Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
edited May 31, 2009 in Cameras
I manage the FBO at my local airport.

We would like to be able to take photos of interesting aircraft, events, people, scenery etc that show up here on the ramp and post them on our website (to be developed).

For instance, we recently had a P-51 show up out of the blue. Photo from BB Curve!
548483361_wFUhH-M.jpg

What camera should I buy? This will be a bit of a learning process for me. I know little about photography but I have some very good subject matter and time to work on it.

I can really spend about as much as I can justify.

Should I get a tripod? Flash? I think I want a DSLR with a fast enough shutter speed so I can catch stuff quickly.

Here's the basic quality of photos I'm after...

476353186_8CLtA-M.jpg

476353236_qe4vd-M.jpg

476354818_ByN55-M.jpg

TIA.

-Ken

Comments

• dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    what kind of budget are you looking at? with an open-ended question like, "what should i get?" i'd say a Nikon D3 with a 24-70mm f/2.8 lens and the 70-200mm f/2.8 lens. if you really need the light, get a SB-900 flash to go with it. congrats, you've also just plunked down about $8400. mwink.gif
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • flacoflaco Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    dangin wrote:
    what kind of budget are you looking at? with an open-ended question like, "what should i get?" i'd say a Nikon D3 with a 24-70mm f/2.8 lens and the 70-200mm f/2.8 lens. if you really need the light, get a SB-900 flash to go with it. congrats, you've also just plunked down about $8400. mwink.gif

Sounds great, I'll do it...

Just kidding.

Probably looking to spend $1500 or so? We're currently paying a photographer $100/hour to come out and take photos now and again.

I don't know Nikon from Canon but I've been looking at a canon 40D?
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    flaco wrote:
    Sounds great, I'll do it...

Just kidding.

Probably looking to spend $1500 or so? We're currently paying a photographer $100/hour to come out and take photos now and again.

I don't know Nikon from Canon but I've been looking at a canon 40D?

How soon do you need to have camera in hand.....I am moving from Konica Minolta and will be posting my 7D's ...one with a Sigma 24-70 f2.8 and one with 70-210 f2.8 and accessories in a week or 2.............well with in your budget.................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    Make sure you consider Olympus. Bang for the buck they make some amazing cameras.
    You could get some nice gear with your listed budget. I'd consider the E-520, E-620, or E-30.
  • MLangtonMLangton Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    Hmmm... Are you interested in photography enough to take the time to learn the ins and outs of a DSLR??? It is a steep, but FUN learning curve. Trust me, I just took the plunge from the 35mm world.

I ask, because if you want to spend the time to learn the hobby, then absolutely get a good DSLR. If not, and you just want to be able to walk out on the ramp in a hurry, I'd get a good point and shoot.

This is a tough call. In addition to my DSLR, I have a nice Nikon point and shoot with a 10x optical zoom that takes great (website quality) pictures. You can get a great point and shoot for under a grand.

Going to a DLSR if you have never used one, will be like going from a 172 to a nice 310. A little bit of studying and fine tuning of the skills, but well worth it IF you have the time to learn it. If you have the time and the will, I'd highly recommend it. This is a great, fun hobby.

Personal choice. What will work better for YOU?
    More photo, less shop.

http://mlangton.smugmug.com
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    MLangton wrote:
    Hmmm... Are you interested in photography enough to take the time to learn the ins and outs of a DSLR??? It is a steep, but FUN learning curve. Trust me, I just took the plunge from the 35mm world.

I ask, because if you want to spend the time to learn the hobby, then absolutely get a good DSLR. If not, and you just want to be able to walk out on the ramp in a hurry, I'd get a good point and shoot.

This is a tough call. In addition to my DSLR, I have a nice Nikon point and shoot with a 10x optical zoom that takes great (website quality) pictures. You can get a great point and shoot for under a grand.

Going to a DLSR if you have never used one, will be like going from a 172 to a nice 310. A little bit of studying and fine tuning of the skills, but well worth it IF you have the time to learn it. If you have the time and the will, I'd highly recommend it. This is a great, fun hobby.

Personal choice. What will work better for YOU?

Off of this point I recomend Olympus, it will be the easiest camera to get good results from with minimal post-processing due to their great jpeg engine.

And you have a graphic interface which is really easy to use to modify almost every setting you will normally need instead of going through menus
    edited May 30, 2009
    I believe I am interested in putting forth the effort to learn how to use a DSLR properly. I don't need another hobby as parenthood, flyfishing, motorcycling and bicycling take up ALL of my time BUT I think learning about photography would compliment my other passions.

My business is super slow in summer and stupid crazy during ski season. I think I could justify 'learning' about photography on company time during the summer. I think I could take some classes and have them paid for by my company. I've also got beautiful aircraft and beautiful scenery around all the time.

I'll check out the Olympus models you recommended. I have a Sony W5 point and shoot and occasionally I get decent results from it. The low fps just kills me.

Thanks!
    edited May 30, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    How soon do you need to have camera in hand.....I am moving from Konica Minolta and will be posting my 7D's ...one with a Sigma 24-70 f2.8 and one with 70-210 f2.8 and accessories in a week or 2.............well with in your budget.................

The sooner the quicker but nobody is holding a stopwatch on me...
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    flaco wrote:
    We're currently paying a photographer $100/hour to come out and take photos now and again.

As others are suggesting, getting good images is far more than buying a camera. You are paying a photographer vs renting a camera. There is a fairly significant difference.

If you want good pictures, you need to learn and practice. Equipment is only part of the equation, and not really as big a part as you might think. If you are not interested in a hobby, why not get a really good Point and shoot, or even a superzoom for the occasional snapshot? I mean a DSLR is something that takes time to learn, $1500 is an awful lot to pay to shoot on the green setting. You can buy several good super zooms for that.

Not trying to be an ass here, just trying to get you to really think about what you want out of your request.
    edited May 30, 2009
    cmason wrote:
    As others are suggesting, getting good images is far more than buying a camera. You are paying a photographer vs renting a camera. There is a fairly significant difference.

If you want good pictures, you need to learn and practice. Equipment is only part of the equation, and not really as big a part as you might think. If you are not interested in a hobby, why not get a really good Point and shoot, or even a superzoom for the occasional snapshot? I mean a DSLR is something that takes time to learn, $1500 is an awful lot to pay to shoot on the green setting. You can buy several good super zooms for that.

Not trying to be an ass here, just trying to get you to really think about what you want out of your request.

I accept your point. My problem is practical...when something happens like an antique aircraft arrives it's tough to get a pro out here in time.
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    The famous photographer Helmut Newton goes to a restaurant:

The Chef: Mr. Newton you take wonderful pictures, your must have a really expensive camera.
    Helmut Newton (after finishing his meal): Chef this was delicious - you must have really expensive pots.

mwink.gif
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
    edited May 30, 2009
    flaco wrote:
    I believe I am interested in putting forth the effort to learn how to use a DSLR properly.
    Believe? OK, that's a start. I'd be about 95% + on this before I'd take the DSLR plunge $$$.
    I don't need another hobby as parenthood, flyfishing, motorcycling and bicycling take up ALL of my time BUT I think learning about photography would compliment my other passions.
    Agreed. I believe that it would. You are living in one of the best areas of the world for outdoor photography. I'm envious. I hope to be near you in the next five years.

I'm not trying to scare you away from photography, just the opposite. I just want you to come into it with something that you will have the time to enjoy so you get hooked harder like I did.

If you plan to take the time to thoroughly get to know a DSLR, then by all means, get one. Just know, it's a steep (but fun) learning curve. If you are not sure, then perhaps that point and shoot will be the way to go. At the same time, make sure, because if you buy the point and shoot, it might make you wish that you would have just bought the DSLR in the first place... This was my dilemma, I ended up with both. Now I have the P&S for my overnight bag, and a nice DLSR for more detailed stuff.

Here is where I am going with this... If you are going to buy the DLSR and do nothing but leave it in program mode (automatic), instead of pushing it to it's limits, the point and shoot might be the better route.

I've done both in the past, I have been in your shoes. Have a great day.
    More photo, less shop.

• furiousfartfuriousfart Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    The Pentax K2000 kit is a great deal, and is aimed at those new to DSLRs.
    I learned on a Pentax after coming from a point and shoots. They work great and they are a very good value for the money, I really enjoy using mine.
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    Pentax is nice! Another option to get started is a Canon 450D aka XSi (or the newer 500D aka XTi)plus a Tamron 18-270mm/3.5-6.3 VC lens (it has Image Stabilization). This would be at around $1500 and give you a very lightweight and versatile (wide angle to tele) kit.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
    edited May 30, 2009
    MLangton wrote:
    Believe? OK, that's a start. I'd be about 95% + on this before I'd take the DSLR plunge $$$.

Agreed. I believe that it would. You are living in one of the best areas of the world for outdoor photography. I'm envious. I hope to be near you in the next five years.

I'm not trying to scare you away from photography, just the opposite. I just want you to come into it with something that you will have the time to enjoy so you get hooked harder like I did.

If you plan to take the time to thoroughly get to know a DSLR, then by all means, get one. Just know, it's a steep (but fun) learning curve. If you are not sure, then perhaps that point and shoot will be the way to go. At the same time, make sure, because if you buy the point and shoot, it might make you wish that you would have just bought the DSLR in the first place... This was my dilemma, I ended up with both. Now I have the P&S for my overnight bag, and a nice DLSR for more detailed stuff.

Here is where I am going with this... If you are going to buy the DLSR and do nothing but leave it in program mode (automatic), instead of pushing it to it's limits, the point and shoot might be the better route.

I've done both in the past, I have been in your shoes. Have a great day.

Well, I appreciate you taking the time to post.

I've a few experiences that lead me to believe that I could take better photos with a better camera.

One, on ADVRider.com, I've admired the cycling photos taken by a member called Plan B. I've dug into the data files on his photos and found out what kind of camera he's using and I think it was a $5k camera. No idea how much training he's had. Edit: I just checked, he's a professional photog so 'no duh'.

Two, when I got married, I hired a professional who did a good job. My uncle...who is not a professional...also took a lot of photos using a DSLR and his photos came out as good as the pros. He knew his subject matter which probably gave him an advantage.

Three, I have a Japanese friend who always has a new latest and greatest camera that is only available in Japan. I got to play with his camera at a BBQ last summer and took photos that were much better than anything I ever got off my P and S.

Four, a guy that I worked with in a previous life who I know to be a bit of a bozo took a handful of photos with a DSLR of my dog which came out great.

I'm willing to believe that I'm all wet.
  • hyachtshyachts Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    flaco wrote:
    Well, I appreciate you taking the time to post.

I've a few experiences that lead me to believe that I could take better photos with a better camera.

One, on ADVRider.com, I've admired the cycling photos taken by a member called Plan B. I've dug into the data files on his photos and found out what kind of camera he's using and I think it was a $5k camera. No idea how much training he's had. Edit: I just checked, he's a professional photog so 'no duh'.

Two, when I got married, I hired a professional who did a good job. My uncle...who is not a professional...also took a lot of photos using a DSLR and his photos came out as good as the pros. He knew his subject matter which probably gave him an advantage.

Three, I have a Japanese friend who always has a new latest and greatest camera that is only available in Japan. I got to play with his camera at a BBQ last summer and took photos that were much better than anything I ever got off my P and S.

Four, a guy that I worked with in a previous life who I know to be a bit of a bozo took a handful of photos with a DSLR of my dog which came out great.

The switch from PnS to DSLR is almost guaranteed to net you a much higher "keeper" percentage, whether you really learn a ton about photography or not. If you select a decent quality body and a good lens you're in good shape. I respect the point everyone here is trying to make - that to be a photographer is more than just equipment - but if you're just looking to get higher quality snapshots right off the bat I think you're right to go DSLR. The learning part will come naturally (or certainly did for me when I got a DSLR). The great thing about digital is that you can just keep snapping and tweaking, snapping and tweaking with no cost impact and virtually instant feedback; that makes learning a lot faster, IMO.

EDIT: Oh, and FWIW, in your price range I'd recommend a crop sensor Canon (XTi, XSi, T1i are the three most recent). The lens is a tougher choice. I got the 17-85mm IS f/4.5-5.6 as my first lens and it's pretty great all around. Slow for inside shooting, but that shouldn't be much of a problem for your situation. This is just based on my very limited and very amateur experience, mind you...
    edited May 31, 2009
    flaco wrote:

Agreed. Go for it!!! thumb.gif
    More photo, less shop.