My Beast is Arriving Today!!!

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited May 29, 2009 in Cameras
I picked up a mint copy of the NIKKOR 28-70mm f/2.8D IF-ED, a.k.a. THE BEAST. I bought it used from one of our own forum members. It is arriving today via UPS. I can't wait. This is my first piece of pro-glass. Well, I also own a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 that is considered a pro-lens for Tokina so I guess it's my 2nd.

I'm really excited. Like a kid on Christmas! :barb
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    I picked up a mint copy of the NIKKOR 28-70mm f/2.8D IF-ED, a.k.a. THE BEAST. I bought it used from one of our own forum members. It is arriving today via UPS. I can't wait. This is my first piece of pro-glass. Well, I also own a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 that is considered a pro-lens for Tokina so I guess it's my 2nd.

I'm really excited. Like a kid on Christmas! wings.gif

Awesome, I'm sure you'll love it. I've never used one but from everything I've read it must be like having the holy grail delivered via UPS.

How do you like the Tokina? If I ever get around to buying some wide glass I think I might go for it. Of course I'd like a larger zoom range but it's the only wide zoom with f/2.8 aperture and I don't think I can pass that up... how is it at 2.8, and in general? (Sorry for the thread hijack!)
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    Awesome, I'm sure you'll love it. I've never used one but from everything I've read it must be like having the holy grail delivered via UPS.

How do you like the Tokina? If I ever get around to buying some wide glass I think I might go for it. Of course I'd like a larger zoom range but it's the only wide zoom with f/2.8 aperture and I don't think I can pass that up... how is it at 2.8, and in general? (Sorry for the thread hijack!)

sorry for the for the response hi-jack! I just got the tokina as well. Haven't shot with it too much but the little I have suggests is very very good. I was considering the sigma 10-20mm but I was attracted to the 2.8 and I figured that I was not going to miss the 16-24mm range since I would be shooting mostly from the widest angle anyway.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    No worries about the hijack.

I love my Tokina. It's my favorite lens... at least for now. Maybe until I actually get out and shoot with my new Beast.

The Tokina is very well built. Feels great in my hand. AF is fast and accurate. The lens is tack sharp stopped down and wide open. The manual focus ring and zoom ring are the perfect size and in just the right position. Switching to MF is a breeze, just give the focus ring a nudge to engage it.

The only nit I have is that it is suspestible to flare. But I know that so I manage it while shooting. Here is a night shot I took of Pasadena City hall with my beloved Tokina:

10 sec @ f/16.0

458119782_WanWY-XL-1.jpg

My Smug Site
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    I Got It!!!
    So my lens was delivered. Everything arrived in good shape and the lens is exactly how he seller discribed... MINTY!!!

First impression.... HOLY MOTHER OF CHEESUS!!! That thing is huge!

After my initial shock, I actually find the mass of the lens pleasing. Really balances off my D300 well. Feels really nice and stable in my hand. I can see that I will be motivated to shoot more and have it spend less time hanging around my neck when out and about!!

The AF is super fast and quiet. No hunting at all... even in low light. I took a few test shots of my dog and they look pretty damn sharp. So far no complaints. I can't wait to go shoot something interesting this weekend to really get this puppy working. thumb.gif

My Smug Site
  • dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    the 28-70mm f/2.8 is an awesome lens. most copies are katana-sharp. you may notice a tiny bit of CA and vignetteing but nothing to worry about. it is built like a tank and a solid performer that should last you for years. i think its weight distribution is better than the newer 24-70; the 28-70 just feels more substantial, IMO. great addition to the camera bag, congrats on a good purchase!
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
    edited May 29, 2009
    Me and my new baby!
    549283196_NbNZQ-XL.jpg

My Smug Site