No Photokina = No New Canon Body?

boulderNardoboulderNardo Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
edited May 29, 2009 in Cameras
I need a second body for action sports shooting.
I'm considering a Canon 1Ds II, a Canon 5DII, or a switch to Nikon D3.

I'm HOPING Canon will release new bodies this summer, specifically a 1DIIIN maybe? The 1DIII would be ideal if it was FF and maybe 12-16MP. No need for 25MP. And Nikon is so expensive compared to Canon.

Aaahhhhh frustration!! :D

_B
Canon 1D MkII, Canon 17-40 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 50 f/1.4, Canon 100 f/2
Bogen 055XPROB
Elinchrom Ranger RX Speed AS, FreeLite A, Skyports, 3x Vivitar 285HV

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited May 28, 2009
    I need a second body for action sports shooting.
    I'm considering a Canon 1Ds II, a Canon 5DII, or a switch to Nikon D3.

I'm HOPING Canon will release new bodies this summer, specifically a 1DIIIN maybe? The 1DIII would be ideal if it was FF and maybe 12-16MP. No need for 25MP. And Nikon is so expensive compared to Canon.

Aaahhhhh frustration!! :D

_B

The 1D MKII/MKIIN is still a good choice for action sports, and you already have a 1D MKII body. A 1D MKIIN might make a reasonable second body and maybe become primary. It has a deeper shot buffer and more choices for how you use the 2 memory cards. It will otherwise seem very familiar.

The 1Ds MKII has slower fps and no real advantage other than pixels. Recent price reductions have made used 1Ds MKII bodies pretty affordable, and responsiveness (other than fps) is on par with the 1D MKII/MKIIN.

The 1D MKIII is a little faster and a little more responsive, but only a little. It does have a bit better DR, but for many sports it's not required. It also uses different batteries from your 1D MKII.

I have a 5D MKII and I really do believe that it is not a suitable sports camera. The AF is just plain lacking for action sports. It would be one of my last recommendations.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    And Nikon is so expensive compared to Canon.

_B

Depends entirely on your perspective. The only full-frame, pro-featured (AF, weather sealing, speed, ergonomics) camera Canon makes is $8000 list.

New Nikon lenses are expensive (too expensive), but Canon has begun borrowing their pricing technique—viz the new TS-E line.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited May 28, 2009
    Pindy wrote:
    Depends entirely on your perspective. The only full-frame, pro-featured (AF, weather sealing, speed, ergonomics) camera Canon makes is $8000 list.

The difference is that Canon has been making full-frame, pro-featured cameras for some time now and the 1Ds MKII is still considered viable for many things, including some sporting events. The AF speed is excellent and high-ISO not too bad. The shutter lag and mirror blackout are also pro grade. Frames-per-second is not so great by modern standards, but there are many worse cameras.

Best of all, I now regularly see the Canon 1Ds MKII bodies going for $2500USD or so. Not too bad for a pro-grade body with 16 MPix resolution. thumb.gif

This is no slam against Nikon and I do still love the D3 and the D700 is a real steal with a very nice AF mechanism (similar to the AF system of the D3 but owners of both say that the D3 is faster. ByThom describes it as a "slight lag" in acquisition) and a class-leading high-ISO noise level. There is almost no visual difference between the pixel counts of those 2 Nikons and the Canon 1Ds MKII when they are both printed to the same size. If I were a Nikon shooter I would almost certainly have the D700. If I were a Nikon shooter doing sports I would be very interested in the D3 and probably looking for a good used copy.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • boulderNardoboulderNardo Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    Thanks for the super valuable input Ziggy!

I think the 1DsII would make an excellent second body.
    In fact, I'm not even looking for a "backup" body, I'm looking for a "quick-swap" body ... Keep my 70-200 mounted on my 1DII, and keep my 17-40 mounted on the 1DsII.

The advantage over the 1DII is not only the extra MP but more importantly the lack of crop factor! My 17-40 would finally be a true 17mm which is WIDE!

Another factor to consider, which swings me over to the 1DsII vs. moving to Nikon... I don't really need the ultra high FPS. In fact, lately I've been shooting sports with flash exclusively, and given a full recycle time of 1.5seconds on my flash, fast drive is unusable. As a positive side-effect, the "frame 1 shot, take 1 shot at a time" approach has helped improve my photography :) So a camera that does 5fps like the 1DsII would be plenty, as long as the AF is FAST and ACCURATE, and I can always resort to my 1DII for fast 8fps when I don't use flash.

The info about the 5DII's AF is very valuable, thanks! Makes me lean towards the 1DsII even more :) Even though 22MP, high ISO performance, 1080p and just the best IQ out there do make me drool...

Thanks, getting this stuff out there helps make decisions.
    I think the 1DsII is a good choice!
    _B
    Canon 1D MkII, Canon 17-40 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 50 f/1.4, Canon 100 f/2
    Bogen 055XPROB
    Elinchrom Ranger RX Speed AS, FreeLite A, Skyports, 3x Vivitar 285HV
  • rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    Canon needs a midrange sports camera like the D300 IMO. The 40D/50D is the equivalent but its 9 point AF is not as good as the 51 point system on the D300.