Need Input: IA State Fair 2009 Photo Contest

metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
edited June 1, 2009 in People
I'm trying to decide which of these pictures to enter into the IA State Fair photo contest this year. I can only enter 1 photo per category, so there isn't an option to enter them all (unless I put one in my sister-in-law's name or something.) But I would like to enter the best possible one (Color - People category).

I haven't done any post-work on these. I'm going to enhance them and do some work in photoshop, but these are just the originals. I'm mainly focusing on composition and subject first. Any input or photoshop ideas are appreciated. Thanks all

Question 1: Are any worthy to be entered?

Question 2: Which one?

1. Lulu can haz more Doritos?
545627625_ZWqiG-M.jpg

2. Field of Dreams
545963994_FY2Lv-M.jpg

3. Watermelon
546022729_EfsyZ-M.jpg

4. Lydia in the pool
545667366_d9Rdo-M.jpg

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited May 28, 2009
    Hi met, and welcome to Dgrin wave.gif. The eyes are really nice in #1 but the background isn't exactly terrific. I would go with #2 and try to bring out the eyes a bit.
  • The MackThe Mack Registered Users Posts: 602 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009

#3 if it was more in focus/sharper
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    while they are good snaps of a cute girl..I am sorry to say I don't think any of them are quite good enough for a contest type deal. ne_nau.gif

#1 and #2 have the most promise though.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    Thanks. I appreciate all honest input. Basically what it is is every year there is a photo gallery at the Iowa State Fair. I'm not expecting to win anything with them, but a couple thousand pictures make the gallery - that is kind of what I'm shooting for.
  • The MackThe Mack Registered Users Posts: 602 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    while they are good snaps of a cute girl..I am sorry to say I don't think any of them are quite good enough for a contest type deal. ne_nau.gif

#1 and #2 have the most promise though.

I didn't read that she asked if we thought they were, I read that she asked which one we prefered. I must have missed the hidden posts.
  • thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    The Mack wrote:
    I didn't read that she asked if we thought they were, I read that she asked which one we prefered. I must have missed the hidden posts.
    met wrote:
    Question 1: Are any worthy to be entered?
    That's exactly what it sounds like she's asking for.

Met, if I were going to pick a couple to have a go I'd consider #1 or #2. The girl in the background in 1 is a bit distracting but the subject isn't bad at all. 2 might be a good choice simply because it is an unconventional portrait of a little girl. You may get some bonus points for originality. :)
    Travis
    edited May 28, 2009
    The Mack wrote:

headscratch.gif it's not that hidden
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    edited May 28, 2009
    met wrote:
    Thanks. I appreciate all honest input. Basically what it is is every year there is a photo gallery at the Iowa State Fair. I'm not expecting to win anything with them, but a couple thousand pictures make the gallery - that is kind of what I'm shooting for.

If that is the case..if you are good photoshopping..the 1st picture would be okay if you can remove the legs in the background, sharpen, and give some pop to the colors and eyes.
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • momwacmomwac Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    remove the legs in the background
    Or crop to a square format, perhaps?
  • pward76pward76 Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    I'm newbie here as well, but I entered a couple of photos in last year's State Fair with the same goal as yours - to make the gallery. I had more confidence in one photo over the other, but the second one took honorable mention in it's category - while the first did not make the gallery.

My kids (13 and 15 at the time) also entered photos that were displayed, and not in kid categories.

Go with the photo(s) you feel most strongly about. It's your vision.

Good luck!
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    I am leaning towards #2 as the strongest as well. As stated by someone else, it's more of an unconventional portrait of a little girl, and it definitely has some energy. Try to adjust the color a bit (it seems too yellow on my uncalibrated monitor, so take this with a grain of salt) and add blue to the sky, and play with some crops (how it would look without the empty left side I wonder) and see how you like it.
  • Jeff_MiloJeff_Milo Registered Users Posts: 327 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    I like the concept of #2 but don't like the barn in the background or the stains on her shirt. I find both distracting from the subject. If you have time I would recommend reshooting #2. Maybe from a different position so the white fence to the left runs thru the entire frame.
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com
  • metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2009
    Jeff_Milo wrote:
    I like the concept of #2 but don't like the barn in the background or the stains on her shirt. I find both distracting from the subject. If you have time I would recommend reshooting #2. Maybe from a different position so the white fence to the left runs thru the entire frame.
    Thanks for the idea. I see what you mean. I was taking pictures of the kids playing over Memorial Day weekend and that is where she was laying in the grass, so I just kind of grabbed the shot. I may go back and rethink posing and setting up the whole thing to try and get a more professional looking shot.

I got my DSLR a few months ago and am just starting to learn some of this stuff. It can be hard to be objective about a photo if you have a personal attachment to the subject and I welcome input. My goal is to become better for hobby reasons and get really great family shots - not planning on going pro or anything but I still want to learn as much as possible.

This is the photo that I entered that made the gallery last year (it was with my Canon S2 point and shoot.)

539714086_Yigvx-M.jpg
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2009
    #2, if any..
    "May the f/stop be with you!"