#26 Panic Attack

MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
edited June 1, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
The competition is really heating up for this one, and now I'm second guessing myself.

Here's my original entry:
"Bottled Light"
543351020_kQPrR-L.jpg

Here's the one the wife likes better:
"Bottled Light"
548835848_KuydC-L.jpg

Better, worse? Should I just give up and drink myself into a stupor? :huh

Comments

• KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    The one you have in the gallery already is your winner... I think you did an excellent job on it and like it the way it is...

Kat
  • jeffgrovesjeffgroves Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    there is always value in listening to the wife...
    and as my wife and I looked through the all of the entries my wife liked yours the most. So your original is a winner in her book already.

Personally, I like both a lot and either would make it to the finals in my mind. I understand why you like to composition of the 2nd, but I like the original a little more.

See what kind of response you get in this thread, but don't be second guessing too much!
  • MikeKMikeK Registered Users Posts: 227 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    The first one is the best. Does anyone else see evil fish faces peering out of those bottles?

:fish
  • jeffgrovesjeffgroves Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    MikeK wrote:
    The first one is the best. Does anyone else see evil fish faces peering out of those bottles?

:fish

:smack
    not until you mentioned it, but I do now.... seriously. Maybe that subliminal evil fish will be enough to get this one in the winner's circle.
    edited May 28, 2009
    yup, I saw those faces the first time he posted them... wondering if anyone else was gonna mention them.. lol

Kat
  • BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    Mark, both are striking shots so don't worry too much. The off center composition of the 2nd is more dramatic, but I think I like how the three bottles fill the frame in #1 better - more of a study of light and color which fits the theme better. Hope that helps!
    Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    Ok, ok.

I shall leave it alone. thumb.gifthumb.gif Thank you all for your comments. I just looked at the other entries, and I don't envy the judges ... eek7.gif
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    I've pretty much walked away from this one - I had a lot of fun with my attempts (even that &$*!&@!Y@ prism), but I am sooooOOOooo outclassed in this round that I shall just sit back and enjoy watching the finalists duke it out. Seriously, if there was ever a "every entrant's a winner!" round, this one is it!

Which I guess goes to prove that good photography really IS all about the light... headscratch.gifrolleyes1.gif

For the record, I like your existing entry - the comp in the other one is nice, but the coloured light spills are too prominent (ie green on red, red on blue etc etc). I think the one you entered is cleaner thumb.gif
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    fwiw, i prefer the second version.... and yes i noticed the alien faces in the first version the first time but didnt say anything to avoid people in black suits coming to my door for a visit....deal.gif
    Aaron Nelson
    edited May 29, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    I've pretty much walked away from this one - I had a lot of fun with my attempts (even that &$*!&@!Y@ prism), but I am sooooOOOooo outclassed in this round that I shall just sit back and enjoy watching the finalists duke it out. Seriously, if there was ever a "every entrant's a winner!" round, this one is it!

Which I guess goes to prove that good photography really IS all about the light... headscratch.gifrolleyes1.gif

For the record, I like your existing entry - the comp in the other one is nice, but the colored light spills are too prominent (ie green on red, red on blue etc etc). I think the one you entered is cleaner thumb.gif

-- I totally agree with everything you just said here Diva.. This competition is amazing and there are still more entries pouring in, I have shot so many different ideas, I cant make up my mind and i am not even sure which ones to put up for C&C... this has been a fun theme..

Mark- I know it is difficult but hold your ground on the entry, it is awesome... however, with a weekend ahead, it is hard not to pick up that camera and experiment... Have a great weekendclap.gif

lol3.gif-- Well Aaron, looks like you went and blew your cover now.. there coming to take you away.. be sure to keep in touch with us and write often:s85
    edited May 29, 2009
    -- I totally agree with everything you just said here Diva.. This competition is amazing and there are still more entries pouring in, I have shot so many different ideas, I cant make up my mind and i am not even sure which ones to put up for C&C... this has been a fun theme..

Mark- I know it is difficult but hold your ground on the entry, it is awesome... however, with a weekend ahead, it is hard not to pick up that camera and experiment... Have a great weekendclap.gif

lol3.gif-- Well Aaron, looks like you went and blew your cover now.. there coming to take you away.. be sure to keep in touch with us and write often:s85

Kat, this weekend is the wife's birthday. Somehow I don't think I can get away with hiding in the back room taking pictures of bottles ... :D That's why I had to get the panic attack out of the way early!
    edited May 29, 2009
    well awesome.. tell her I said Happy Birthday.. I hope you two have a great celebration together...wings.gifmaybe you will get pictures of the B-Day? (grin) any excuse to get the camera out..

Kat
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    I second the second. :D
    (but you might want to correct the over saturated reds and yellows)
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    I like #2 as well. The negative space helps the composition.
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    thumb.gif
    KevXman wrote:
    I like #2 as well. The negative space helps the composition.

thumb.gif
    edited May 30, 2009
    :bash :bash :bash

You guys are just trying to stress me out, aren't you? naughty.gif
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    Yes I like the third one best....

I like the first due to the time I spent trying to figure out how you got the person standing there.Yes I see a whole person not just a face.

#2 works because of like Aaron said negative space and there are no parts of bottle cropped out
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
    edited May 30, 2009
    To those seeing faces, aliens, and fish in my pics,

I can only state that a foil hat was involved in the making of this image! rolleyes1.gif
  • bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    Should I just give up and drink myself into a stupor? eek7.gif

That might work...but make sure it's the blue bottle. The red will make you incredibly giagantic and the green will make you shrink and send you down the rabbit hole!:D
    edited May 31, 2009
    bf2015 wrote:
    That might work...but make sure it's the blue bottle. The red will make you incredibly giagantic and the green will make you shrink and send you down the rabbit hole!:D

Well, as it turns out, the green bottles did not make me fall down the rabbit hole, but they did leave me with a fuzzy tongue and a headache ... mwink.gif:D
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2009
    WHAT is you favorite color?

Blue, no RED. . . aaaaaahhh.rolleyes1.gif
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2009
    European or African Swallow????:D :D:D

He says foil was used, headscratch.gif but we all know better
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
    edited May 31, 2009
    oh heck here we go again....lol3.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2009
    #1 weighs in as my preferred favorite -
    I really like the composition on the second but the clarity and light control in the first are more appealing.

Aaron have you see the black helicopters hovering above your house yet?
    edited May 31, 2009
    Aaron is no longer here, you are talking to Alex, how can i help you?

rolleyes1.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2009
    Aaron is no longer here, you are talking to Alex, how can i help you?
    rolleyes1.gif

eek7.gif oh no! if they got Aaron..... who's next?:uhoh