Jennifer

thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
edited June 1, 2009 in People
Here's a couple shots I did with a friend a while back. This was her first time in front of the camera as a "real model" and she did extremely well! I hope you enjoy them.

#1:
3469593911_9e5e1cb6fa_o.jpg

#2:
3469593507_b101515d6a_o.jpg
Travis

Comments

• thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    I guess they don't all swim...
    Travis
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    Lighting is OK, methinks.

But both you guys need to work on the posing (you as a director, she as a performer).
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited May 29, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    But both you guys need to work on the posing (you as a director, she as a performer).

I have received mixed comments about the pose in the first, but could you expand on the problem with the second?
    Travis
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    I have received mixed comments about the pose in the first, but could you expand on the problem with the second?
    It would be OK if it were the only shot. However, combined with the first one it makes me think this is the only pose she knows ne_nau.gif

Also, #2 seems a bit eclectic and unfinished... I mean it kinda goes for high fashion look lighting/framing wise, yet the dress/makeup/hair is totally casual.

All in all, that's pretty darn good for the first try. Simply keep doing it, and I'm sure you'll be a success! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited May 29, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    It would be OK if it were the only shot. However, combined with the first one it makes me think this is the only pose she knows ne_nau.gif

Ah, gotcha. There were plenty of other poses but these are just a couple of the best ones I chose to post. I had some issues with getting proper lighting ratios throughout the evening so many of them ended up flat.
    Nikolai wrote:
    Also, #2 seems a bit eclectic and unfinished... I mean it kinda goes for high fashion look lighting/framing wise, yet the dress/makeup/hair is totally casual.

Yeah, I see your point. I guess the intent was to "emulate" high fashion without actually putting all that effort into it. I guess I succeeded! wings.gif
    Nikolai wrote:
    All in all, that's pretty darn good for the first try. Simply keep doing it, and I'm sure you'll be a success! thumb.gif

Thanks for the input! She just moved into a house two blocks down so we'll both get a lot of practice soon!
    Travis
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    Nice shots but don't care for the pose in #1 or the angles in either shot.
    Keep working at it she has the look of a model.
    How did you go about asking her for a shoot since she just moved into your
    area?
    I have a hard time asking new model for a shoot.

Take Care,
    Chuck
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
    edited May 30, 2009
    Nice shots but don't care for the pose in #1 or the angles in either shot.
    Keep working at it she has the look of a model.
    How did you go about asking her for a shoot since she just moved into your
    area?
    I have a hard time asking new model for a shoot.

Thanks for the comments.

She is actually my girlfirend's high school friend and co-worker so there wasn't much pressure or anything. She just recently moved from a nearby town to just down the road.

I have a hard time asking models for shoots also. Since, in any other sense, me walking up to a pretty girl and asking her to come home with me would have me in severe trouble with my other half, there's just as much internal struggle as there is shyness or whatever. It just feels weird. rolleyes1.gif
    Travis
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2009
    I like #1 for a lot of reasons. The pose is pretty good (though I would turn her a bit more towards the camera for that pose) and the light is quite nice. The camera angle is lacking. Shooting up at her like that is not so flattering .... and she's a gorgeous lady!
    edited June 1, 2009
    I like #1 for a lot of reasons. The pose is pretty good (though I would turn her a bit more towards the camera for that pose) and the light is quite nice. The camera angle is lacking. Shooting up at her like that is not so flattering .... and she's a gorgeous lady!

Thanks Scott! I appreciate the suggestion that the unflattering-ness (if that's not a word then it should be) was because of the camera angle versus the pose itself. That explains why I like the pose so much yet it is, as you say, unflattering. I'll be trying this shot again.

Thanks!
    Travis