Options

Does SmugMug suck with Safari? Main photos lag.

darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
edited May 29, 2009 in Bug Reporting
So I know Don is a big fan of Safari, but I also know that because of that nasty Safari bug, Andy was recommending people use Firefox.

Anyways, the last OS X updated seemed to cure the bug, but I'm still finding that compared to Firefox, loading of large images (in SmugMug view) is very lagged. If I click on thumbs or use the arrow keys to move through images, I often times will get a big blank rectangle where the photo should be, and sometimes the photo never loads, even after clicking on another thumb or going forward/backwards with arrow keys.

On Firefox, I'll get a big blank rectangle with a JPEG icon in the top-left corner, and then the photo always loads, eventually.

It really kind of... sucks.

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    I've been getting this for some time in Firefox, main image doesn't load or
    takes quite a while. Been also seeing some thumbs not loading or with a big
    delay.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    SmugMug is awesomely fast on Safari for us. I'm sorry you're having troubles! The "Safari Bug" from Apple's been squashed - latest Apple updates fixed it.

Write us at the help desk if your issue persists, Darryl, thanks.
  • Options
    momwacmomwac Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    Allen wrote:
    I've been getting this for some time in Firefox, main image doesn't load or
    takes quite a while. Been also seeing some thumbs not loading or with a big
    delay.
    Was just checking in to see what... the... crap. SM's always been worse for me in Firefox than in IE, but right now the problem's more noticeable than it's been since the performance fix of about a month ago.
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2009
    momwac wrote:
    Was just checking in to see what... the... crap. SM's always been worse for me in Firefox than in IE, but right now the problem's more noticeable than it's been since the performance fix of about a month ago.
    Clear your FF Cache? What addons are you running? What version of FF are you on?
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    SmugMug is awesomely fast on Safari for us. I'm sorry you're having troubles! The "Safari Bug" from Apple's been squashed - latest Apple updates fixed it.

Write us at the help desk if your issue persists, Darryl, thanks.

I figured that'd be the case since SmugMug is a Mac shop.

My theory: SmugMug and their employees always have the fanciest latest greatest Macs, so they never see problems that poor folk like me with "slower" machines (2.16GHz MacBook Pro circa 2006 w/ 3GB of RAM) encounter. :-P

I suppose I can try clearing Safari's cache too.
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2009
    darryl wrote:
    I figured that'd be the case since SmugMug is a Mac shop.

My theory: SmugMug and their employees always have the fanciest latest greatest Macs, so they never see problems that poor folk like me with "slower" machines (2.16GHz MacBook Pro circa 2006 w/ 3GB of RAM) encounter. :-P

I suppose I can try clearing Safari's cache too.
    With 50 of us, we have all sorts of Macs: older powerbooks, olde and new Macbooks, Minis, Mac Pros. We do keep our software up2date.
  • Options
    momwacmomwac Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Clear your FF Cache? What addons are you running? What version of FF are you on?
    Will trash the cache in a moment and give it another shot. Version is latest -- 3.0.10, on XPSP2. Add-ins are ABP, DTA, RIP, Web Developer, and NoScript. smugmug.com is trusted wherever applicable. I just found a place for cross-site scripting exceptions in NoScript options; added a regex for smugmug.com to it; we'll see if that makes a difference after a restart. But if script blocking were to blame, I would think it wouldn't work at all -- not just very slowly.

One thing I've noted is that after closing out FF completely and restarting, it will make the first request ok... but then subsequent requests are crazy slow or completely non-responsive. (Note, even slow at my workplace with the really fat pipes.)

This is the way the AJAX "edit/save" code used to behave. That started working smoothly after the aforementioned fix, and still does (for which I'm really grateful! thumb.gif). But gallery browsing is pretty much a non-starter at present with the same config.

(Edit: Not a total non-starter after all. More like, takes two or three minutes to open a gallery, longer to display a photo. Symptoms match Allen's description, which is why I chimed in here.)