peavin falls

chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
edited May 29, 2009 in Landscapes
visited my sister in birmingham over the long weekend. peavin falls is a short hike on oak mountain, just outside the city. it was a little rainy, but made for good light. always appreciate feedback, thanks for looking...

548575495_JYtvr-L-2.jpg

548574767_A56ri-L-2.jpg

548573867_z6TrX-L-1.jpg

Comments

• coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    Those are all excellent shots. The third one is absolutely fantastic, the golden/brown foreground is very cool. You're right that the rain/overcast light really helped.
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Those are all excellent shots. The third one is absolutely fantastic, the golden/brown foreground is very cool. You're right that the rain/overcast light really helped.

Thanks, Ron, for the kind remarks,
    -C
  • astockwellastockwell Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    3rd is really great. 2 is nice, but 1 is just to intimate for me.

-Andy
    edited May 29, 2009
    astockwell wrote:
    3rd is really great. 2 is nice, but 1 is just to intimate for me.

-Andy

Thanks for the critique. By "intimate," do you mean too close up? It was a larger comp when I took it, but the bright waterfall was blown out and detracted from the photo so I cropped it out.
  • astockwellastockwell Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    chrismoore wrote:
    Thanks for the critique. By "intimate," do you mean too close up? It was a larger comp when I took it, but the bright waterfall was blown out and detracted from the photo so I cropped it out.

Yeah, I just like looking at waterfalls more as the whole thing, just me I suppose. Good job with it though. I think one would have been great as the whole thing, but if the waterfall blew out, not much you can do. I guess you can see the reflection in 3 on the big falls also, but still a good shot. These taken middle of the day? You should try to go back at before sunrise, or dusk, so you don't get so much light reflection. Did you polarize?

-Andy
    edited May 29, 2009
    astockwell wrote:
    Yeah, I just like looking at waterfalls more as the whole thing, just me I suppose. Good job with it though. I think one would have been great as the whole thing, but if the waterfall blew out, not much you can do. I guess you can see the reflection in 3 on the big falls also, but still a good shot. These taken middle of the day? You should try to go back at before sunrise, or dusk, so you don't get so much light reflection. Did you polarize?

-Andy

Thanks, yes it was middle of the day which was good and bad. Good, because it was very overcast and most of the light was blocked by the trees. Also the wet rocks reflected the sun well. Bad because the falls were so bright, even when stopping down they were a bit blown. I stacked a polarizer and ND filter.