Rocks + Water = 5DMII Lose

RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
edited June 2, 2009 in Cameras

Comments

• HyperiateHyperiate Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    And all that heartache could have been prevented by making use of the FREE strap that came with the camera. Really, unless it's sitting on a table or in studio, I am pretty obsessive about having my camera strap over my head. If I hand the camera to someone, I don't let it go until they have the strap over their head.

So far I have yet to drop a camera.

Cheers,
    Tom B
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    I camera strap is ALWAYS on. Plus with the comfiness that the smug straps have, it doesn't bother me.

should have been more attentive!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • GP ImagesGP Images Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    Hyperiate wrote:
    And all that heartache could have been prevented by making use of the FREE strap that came with the camera. Really, unless it's sitting on a table or in studio, I am pretty obsessive about having my camera strap over my head. If I hand the camera to someone, I don't let it go until they have the strap over their head.

So far I have yet to drop a camera.

Cheers,
    Tom B

He had the camera on a tripod. Kind of hard to keep the strap around your neck all the time.
  • BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    I'm one of those unfortunate people who have had a strap (the smugmug strap in fact) fail. I dropped a 20D with 200,000+ actuations no big loss, and the camera still works. Back in my medium format days we NEVER used straps, but our brackets had feet. So now I check the condition of my strap often, and use one on both bodies, but only because I carry 2 cameras, otherwise I'd prefer not to have a strap. My record so far equal strap fail =1 no strap fail = 0.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    Sad tale, but the guy loosened the clamp holding his camera onto the ballhead. I can't say I'm surprised the camera fell.headscratch.gif Unfortunately, he made a careless mistake and was not paying attention to what he was doing.

Who wears a camera strap when the camera is mounted on a tripod??ne_nau.gif
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    Mitchell wrote:
    Sad tale, but the guy loosened the clamp holding his camera onto the ballhead. I can't say I'm surprised the camera fell.headscratch.gif Unfortunately, he made a careless mistake and was not paying attention to what he was doing.
    Sad story. And yes, he did a costly mistake. As an Acratech (V2) ballhead user I'm familiar with the issue. I make sure that the plate-mounting knob is ALWAYS at a 90 degree angle compared to other ones, so it next to impossible to grab it by accident...

And, in addition to that...
    I do :hide
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited May 29, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Mitchell wrote:
    I do :hide
    Yeah, I've seen how you use a tripod. rolleyes1.gif
    IMG_1493.jpg
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    Exactly! Never in use! :hide rolleyes1.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
    edited May 29, 2009
    And just because it's "Pick on Nik" day, here's another one. I may be mistaken, but I don't think he's using his strap at all here. headscratch.gif

IMG_0557.jpg
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited May 29, 2009
    The sad truth is that a tripod is an unstable device, unless the mass is kept very well centered. Even more so on irregular ground, which is where tripods are frequently used.

I have had a tripod start to fall over several times, despite being quite aware of their unstable nature. This is particularly true with large, long lenses or large heavy cameras. DAMHIK:D

I am sorry for the unfortunate experience - I would be devastated also. It was concerns like this that drove me to purchase an all hazards insurance policy with replacement value.

I do not use a neck strap when my camera is on a tripod either. I do use one when climbing a wall around waterfalls though.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited May 29, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    And just because it's "Pick on Nik" day, here's another one. I may be mistaken, but I don't think he's using his strap at all here. headscratch.gif
    Laughing.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Yeah, you're correct, I'm not a tripod fan, IS is my way. mwink.gif
    However, when I use it in a precarious situations (like in the water) - believe it or not, I do also wear the strap while having the camera on the tripod - exactly to prevent somthing like this...
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    Sad story but in fact most of people know the risk.

The IS on the lens reduce the use of tripod. I usually try not to use the tripod particularly when there are many other people around or on the uneven ground. Just mount the camera on the tripod with the strap linking to my neck for a shot or two then separate the tripod again.

It is not advisable to have major repair of electronic toys. it never perform the same after "repair". Try to get the total lost (beyond repair recommendation from the service centre and claim from insurance company.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
    edited May 29, 2009
    The IS on the lens reduce the use of tripod. I usually try not to use the tripod particularly when there are many other people around or on the uneven ground. Just mount the camera on the tripod with the strap linking to my neck for a shot or two then separate the tripod again.
    +1 15524779-Ti.gif Exactly my MO (that is if I use it at all:-) deal.gifthumb.gif
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    This reminds me of this story...
    Similar issue happened to this poor guy:

You can read the blog that explains what happened here

crocs_lens.jpg
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    Similar issue happened to this poor guy:

You can read the blog that explains what happened here
    But, that's a Nikon so really there was not much to loose. rolleyes1.gifD
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    You're right, it isn't quite the same. The Nikon actually still worked after he recovered it. mwink.gif

My Smug Site
    edited May 29, 2009
    You're right, it isn't quite the same. The Nikon actually still worked after he recovered it. mwink.gif

Yeah, but it's permanently stuck at 28mm now. rolleyes1.gif
    edited May 29, 2009
    only as a prime mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    I guess he accidentally pressed the lock button against the fence or something...
    edited May 30, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    only as a prime mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    I guess he accidentally pressed the lock button against the fence or something...

Yeah... I read the blog but I still can't figure out how that happened to him. The other story about the tripod is understandable but how do you press the lock button while focusing or zooming? My fingers aren't even near that part of the body when shooting??? ne_nau.gif

My Smug Site
    edited May 30, 2009
    Yeah... I read the blog but I still can't figure out how that happened to him. The other story about the tripod is understandable but how do you press the lock button while focusing or zooming? My fingers aren't even near that part of the body when shooting??? ne_nau.gif
    I guess it's a Nikon feature mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    edited May 30, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    I guess it's a Nikon feature mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif

OK... now you guys are just ganging up on me. Laughing.gif

My Smug Site
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Laughing.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Yeah, you're correct, I'm not a tripod fan, IS is my way. mwink.gif
    However, when I use it in a precarious situations (like in the water) - believe it or not, I do also wear the strap while having the camera on the tripod - exactly to prevent somthing like this...

** Cough ** **cough**

One more "Pick on Nik" shot from Glacier in 2007.

The camera is on the tripod.
    The strap is on the camera.
    But, the strap isn't around his neck! mwink.gif

207977976_DGUdg-M-1.jpg
    edited June 1, 2009
    This could be as much fun as the pick-on-Sid thread.wings.gif
    edited June 1, 2009
    ** Cough ** **cough**

Yes, but I'm not in the water either:-) rolleyes1.gif
    edited June 1, 2009
    RogersDA wrote:
    This could be as much fun as the pick-on-Sid thread.wings.gif
    Yeah, just don't hold any hopes of me leaving any time soon:-)rolleyes1.gif
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    ** Cough ** **cough**

207977976_DGUdg-M-1.jpg

I think that is his old cheap backup camera and kit lens, so it is ok to be wet and write off. The true story is that he keep is 10K body and L lens in the car for safety reason.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    I think that is his old cheap backup camera and kit lens, so it is ok to be wet and write off. The true story is that he keep is 10K body and L lens in the car for safety reason.
    Well, I can't answer to the lens, but I remember him toting a 40D - which was the latest of the crop-sensor cameras available at the time.

If you are interested, you can get the orignial and see if you can determine the lens.
    edited June 2, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Yeah, just don't hold any hopes of me leaving any time soon:-)rolleyes1.gif
    Maybe he'll stop by more if he see's this!thumb.gif
    edited June 2, 2009
    Well, I can't answer to the lens, but I remember him toting a 40D - which was the latest of the crop-sensor cameras available at the time.

If you are interested, you can get the orignial and see if you can determine the lens.
    Correct, it was 40D, they just came out like a month before the trip..
    The lens is EF-S 10-22, IIRC.