Tired of these yet?

dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
edited June 1, 2009 in Landscapes
This will probably be the last of them (at least for the next few weeks). I'd like to know what you guys like out of these three.

3572048945_7811427878_o.jpg

3575223282_49b5aaaa78_o.jpg

3574596059_67f52ea465_o.jpg

Comments

• PHOTOemptPHOTOempt Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    i like the light in the second 2, but i don't really get the 'feel' of the place. the first image without the sky is really stunning - the light, the lines, and one really gets a sense of the rolling texture of the hills, without the distraction (for me) of the sky. i must have missed a few posts , judging by the title, so i will have to search out your others in previous postings. i'm wondering where these were taken. that first image is really lovely. congratulations
    Sarah A Wager, MB BS

+39 075 878 0642 or on the web at
    www.photoempt.com
    photoempt.smugmug.com
    www.rjslade.com
    and if you are interested in our italian cooking school here in Monte Castello di Vibio check out www.umbriacucina.com
  • scottVscottV Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    I'm a big fan of #1 also, but I must know where this is. Are they taken from the air?
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    Thanks to both of you for your comments!

PHOTOempt wrote:
    i like the light in the second 2, but i don't really get the 'feel' of the place. the first image without the sky is really stunning - the light, the lines, and one really gets a sense of the rolling texture of the hills, without the distraction (for me) of the sky. i must have missed a few posts , judging by the title, so i will have to search out your others in previous postings. i'm wondering where these were taken. that first image is really lovely. congratulations
    Thanks for the critique. These were all taken from atop Steptoe Butte in the Palouse region of Eastern Washington. From the summit there is a 360 degree view of these rolling hills as far as the eye can see. Ron and I met up to catch the sunrise on this particular morning and we got very lucky with the cloud formations on the horizon. It was an awesome sunrise to see in person but I don't feel it translated on camera quite the way I wanted.
    I think the first of these is my favorite also.
  • PHOTOemptPHOTOempt Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    dseidman wrote:
    Thanks to both of you for your comments!

Thanks for the critique. These were all taken from atop Steptoe Butte in the Palouse region of Eastern Washington. From the summit there is a 360 degree view of these rolling hills as far as the eye can see. Ron and I met up to catch the sunrise on this particular morning and we got very lucky with the cloud formations on the horizon. It was an awesome sunrise to see in person but I don't feel it translated on camera quite the way I wanted.
    I think the first of these is my favorite also.

i have discovered your various other posts, and enjoyed both your and ron's images of the area, including the perilous palouse sunset swirl! hopefully you will have the opportunity to go back for more sunrise shots - i think it was ron who commented that it seemed a long way but isn't much further than his other trips. hopefully that works for you too, although that dragging out of bed for sunrise is hard work!! cheers, sarah
    Sarah A Wager, MB BS

+39 075 878 0642 or on the web at
    www.photoempt.com
    photoempt.smugmug.com
    www.rjslade.com
    and if you are interested in our italian cooking school here in Monte Castello di Vibio check out www.umbriacucina.com
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    1st is so beautiful
    great job on 2nd and 3rd too !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Picture North CarolinaPicture North Carolina Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    The pastel-like first one is really nice on the eyes!

SmugMug Gallery | Website | Like my Facebook page, I'll like yours
  • aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    I really like the soft, pastel-like colors of #1. Beautiful texture and colors.

#2 doesn't really work for me. The contrast between the sky and foreground don't tie together.

I also like #3. The colors are appealing, and the emphasis on the sky works well.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • astockwellastockwell Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    Like them all, but #2 FTW, and mostly just because I like portrait orientation more.

-Andy
  • scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    #1 by far.

While the other two have nice elements (great sunrise), they seem flat & lacking contrast.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    This is the best set yet! I don't think I could ever get tired of this landscape. :D
  • tisuntisun Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    #1 thumb.gif
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    Nope, not tired of seeing these at all!! All are really nice. #1 is just beautiful and is my favorite also!! I also like #2 real well. I think that I like it better than the first sunrise picture that you posted that is similar. I can see more of the detail in the foreground.
    I think we are going to head out to Palouse Falls this weekend. How did you and Ron get to the area that you took your pictures from? I would like to try this, but don't expect to come back with anything near as stunning as you guys did!!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • kscottkscott Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    number 1. it has wonderful color and rhythm. 2 and 3 have good atmosphere, but by far the 1st image surpasses the others.
    kscott
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    These are all great shots. I really like the green tones in the first image.
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    I'm not tired of them yet - and I was at that places for three days!

I like all of them, I think the second could be improved a little if the sky was darker or the foreground brighter - there's just a little too much brightness difference. That's not a big deal in #3 which is bright everywhere and I think it works well. The composition, shadows, and texture in #1 are fantastic.
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    Very nice. I also love number one. The eye just keeps moving around the image with such wonderful curves.
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2009
    Thanks everyone for your comments! I agree with what most of you are saying. Hopefully I'll get back over there soon for another shot at it.