Options

Cross-country USA...

RobbugRobbug Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
edited June 1, 2009 in Journeys
I understand that we are supposed to post after the fact our journeys. I intend to do it more real time. Note to Mods - if I am out of the of the box please correct. Next Wednesday, I will be taking my family, wife and 3 kids, 4yrs, 2yrs, and 10 mos on a cross country trip. Map below. Our major stops are as follows:
-Start - Bremerton WA (near Seattle WA)
-Mt Rushmore
-Badlands, SD
-Myrtle Beach
- OK and all that desolate area :) (apologies for anyone that lives there)
-Eunice NM
-Mayhill, NM - Deepsky astronomy
-Petrified Forest and Painted Desert NM
-Grand Canyon
-Rt 66 to Joshua Tree Nat'l Park
-Up to Monterey CA
-(possibly 101 up to Home)Rt 5 up to home

Rt Map:
3575500856_46ae2b70f9_b.jpg

Once we get on the road and as the trip progresses I will post pictures on here.

As a side note, can anyone suggest "gotta see" points along the way? I can't allow too much time for any one point due to time constraints but semi-quick stops are good. Thanks.

Gear that I am bringing as I am an amateur photographer
20D, 24-70, 17-40, 50 1.4, 100 macro + tubes, and 18-55 kit, cards, remote switch, monopod, cheap :( tripod

I am hoping to get the Badlands early in the morning, standard family photos on the east coast, some ccd imaging of planets and star trails in NM, late afternoon shots in the painted desert/petrified forest NM, late afternoon shots/early morning shots/night shots in the Grand Canyon, AZ, afternoon shots in joshua nat'l park, CA, and whatever falls in b/w on Rt 66 plus whatever I get on the trip. Ambitious yes. I have high hopes. I have many snacks and dvd's for the kids :D:D I have valium for the wife...whoops inside voice. I have many "activities" for the wife. June 3rd is the big start heh. Need to make the wife drive mostly :D

anything I may be missing on gear? I ask these questions since Google has failed me on finding the best attractions and what "essential" photography gear I need to bring. I know I have failed on what's behind the camera but darn it I am gonna give it my best shot!

Rob
www.refractivephotos.com

The Holy Trinity of Photography - Light, Color, and Gesture

Comments

• Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2009
    Looks like you'll be going pretty close to Mammoth Cave in Eastern Kentucky and Carlsbad in New Mexico. I also recommend Devil's Den State Park in western Arkansas.
    Robbug wrote:
    I understand that we are supposed to post after the fact our journeys. I intend to do it more real time. Note to Mods - if I am out of the of the box please correct. Next Wednesday, I will be taking my family, wife and 3 kids, 4yrs, 2yrs, and 10 mos on a cross country trip. Map below. Our major stops are as follows:
    -Start - Bremerton WA (near Seattle WA)
    -Mt Rushmore
    -Badlands, SD
    -Myrtle Beach
    - OK and all that desolate area :) (apologies for anyone that lives there)
    -Eunice NM
    -Mayhill, NM - Deepsky astronomy
    -Petrified Forest and Painted Desert NM
    -Grand Canyon
    -Rt 66 to Joshua Tree Nat'l Park
    -Up to Monterey CA
    -(possibly 101 up to Home)Rt 5 up to home

Rt Map:
    3575500856_46ae2b70f9_b.jpg

Once we get on the road and as the trip progresses I will post pictures on here.

As a side note, can anyone suggest "gotta see" points along the way? I can't allow too much time for any one point due to time constraints but semi-quick stops are good. Thanks.

Gear that I am bringing as I am an amateur photographer
    20D, 24-70, 17-40, 50 1.4, 100 macro + tubes, and 18-55 kit, cards, remote switch, monopod, cheap :( tripod

I am hoping to get the Badlands early in the morning, standard family photos on the east coast, some ccd imaging of planets and star trails in NM, late afternoon shots in the painted desert/petrified forest NM, late afternoon shots/early morning shots/night shots in the Grand Canyon, AZ, afternoon shots in joshua nat'l park, CA, and whatever falls in b/w on Rt 66 plus whatever I get on the trip. Ambitious yes. I have high hopes. I have many snacks and dvd's for the kids :D:D I have valium for the wife...whoops inside voice. I have many "activities" for the wife. June 3rd is the big start heh. Need to make the wife drive mostly :D

anything I may be missing on gear? I ask these questions since Google has failed me on finding the best attractions and what "essential" photography gear I need to bring. I know I have failed on what's behind the camera but darn it I am gonna give it my best shot!

Rob
  • Options
    RobbugRobbug Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2009
    WhatSheSaw wrote:
    Looks like you'll be going pretty close to Mammoth Cave in Eastern Kentucky and Carlsbad in New Mexico. I also recommend Devil's Den State Park in western Arkansas.

Unfortunately can't stop at Mammoth Caves. I have always wanted to stop there but as it is we have to make it to NC for a wedding. Carlsbad was on my list but was axed due to having to be at a dark sky site at a certain time.

Thank you for the inputs. I will see if we can take a look at Devil's Den. Only 2 more days until the start! wings.gif
    www.refractivephotos.com

The Holy Trinity of Photography - Light, Color, and Gesture
  • Options
    wadesworldwadesworld Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2009
    In Memphis, right next to the river is the Memphis Belle, B-17 Bomber. Naturally there's also Beale street, Graceland, etc.
    Wade Williams
    Nikon D300, 18-135/3.5-5.6, 70-300/4.5-5.6, SB800