Options

model release question ...

tznal94931tznal94931 Registered Users Posts: 10 Beginner grinner
edited May 29, 2009 in Sports
Just starting out at some of this and I have questions about model releases: if I attend a rodeo (as an example of an event) as a freelancer and offer pictures of some of the action, like bull riding or bronc riding, do I need model releases from the participants in the rodeo events? :huh Or because it's a public event, have they essentially given consent for their photos being taken? I am fuzzy on public event photos, what is and isn't acceptable or "legal". :dunno

Comments

• Options
    KellyCKellyC Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    Not 100% sure about this, but I think as long as they are not a 'professional' that you would not need a release. I know for professional athletes selling their photos is not allowed. I would wait for some more feedback on this one.

Kelly
    tznal94931 wrote:
    Just starting out at some of this and I have questions about model releases: if I attend a rodeo (as an example of an event) as a freelancer and offer pictures of some of the action, like bull riding or bronc riding, do I need model releases from the participants in the rodeo events? eek7.gif Or because it's a public event, have they essentially given consent for their photos being taken? I am fuzzy on public event photos, what is and isn't acceptable or "legal". ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    Basically, if you are at a public event and are not using the photographs for commercial purposes (i.e., using the images to advertise and/or promote the sell of a product or service) then you do not need model releases.

In the case of most college and professional sports, the sanctioning body (NCAA, NFL, MLB NBA, etc.) owns the copyright on all images which eliminates your ability to sell photographs from those types of events.

Kent
    "Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
    Web site
  • Options
    tznal94931tznal94931 Registered Users Posts: 10 Beginner grinner
    edited May 29, 2009
    hmmm ... so ...
    Scenario - to continue the "rodeo" example, if I was at a PRCA rodeo, all the participants are "professionals". If PRCA owns the rights to the pictures, how do freelance photographers submit photos to various magazines? Or for the NCAA/NFL/NBA/NHL counterparts, are non of the photos submitted to magazines taken by freelance photographers?
  • Options
    SledhedSledhed Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    tznal94931 wrote:
    Scenario - to continue the "rodeo" example, if I was at a PRCA rodeo, all the participants are "professionals". If PRCA owns the rights to the pictures, how do freelance photographers submit photos to various magazines? Or for the NCAA/NFL/NBA/NHL counterparts, are non of the photos submitted to magazines taken by freelance photographers?

The photos are shot with a media credential and must go to a media outlet. I regularly shoot MLB games, and the photos go to whoever hired me to shoot that game.