My first attempt at posting photos

Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
edited June 6, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
The oldest operating sternwheeler ferryboat in the US.
549702985_nh4vM-L.jpg

549703845_5fBQD-L.jpg

These photos were taken last fall, one foggy morning, with my Nikon D40 & 18-55 kit lens. The first one was enlarged to a 20"x30" poster and now hangs on my living room wall. So what does everyone think? What could have been done to make it better?
GaryB
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams

Comments

• DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    Quite nice! Where is this?

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    First off welcome to dgrin. I love the moodiness of these images and the composition in #1. I think #2 could be improved a lot by cloning out the leaves along the top edge and cropping out most of the dark green grass along the bottom.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    The ferryboat is in a small town about 28 miles north of Harrisburg, PA called Millersburg. Basically, nothing was done to these photos. I work in a 1 hour Photo center at a local Wal-Mart, and I found that if I wait to do most of my edits, mainly cropping, I get better results at print time. I'm in the process of switching over to an I-Mac for all my photographic and video work. I already purchased FinalCut Studio 2, and I just purchased Aperture and that should be here on Monday. The next thing I'll be saving up for is a good wide format printer, so I can print my own poster sized prints.

Thanks for the comments, and as soon as I get Aperture, and get familurized with it, I'll post an edited version of these.
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2009
    BroPhoto wrote:
    The oldest operating sternwheeler ferryboat in the US.

These photos were taken last fall, one foggy morning, with my Nikon D40 & 18-55 kit lens. The first one was enlarged to a 20"x30" poster and now hangs on my living room wall. So what does everyone think? What could have been done to make it better?

Welcome to the forum BroPhoto.

I've never seen a ferry boat like this before.
    Looks like a combination of a house boat and paddle steamer.

The fog works well more so in the second shot because of it's smokey like appearance.

The second shot is my pick of the two, and if I would change anything it would be to crop it more to look more a PANO Shot.

Great first post, and thank you for sharing a piece of history I bet most folks never knew existed clap.gifclap.gif

Keep Posting ..... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    Skippy wrote:
    Welcome to the forum BroPhoto.

I've never seen a ferry boat like this before.
    Looks like a combination of a house boat and paddle steamer.

The fog works well more so in the second shot because of it's smokey like appearance.

The second shot is my pick of the two, and if I would change anything it would be to crop it more to look more a PANO Shot.

Great first post, and thank you for sharing a piece of history I bet most folks never knew existed clap.gifclap.gif

Keep Posting ..... Skippy :D

Thanks for the comments Skippy! I remember riding this ferryboat when I was a very young lad. It's been featured on one of those morning shows on Sunday. I can't remember the name, but their logo is a BIG sun. Anyway, Apeture has arrived, and I will start playing with it on my next day off which will be Tuesday. I'll try and incorporate everyones suggestions and post the results.

GaryB
    GaryB