Options

Advice for gymnastics shoot

ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
edited June 1, 2009 in Sports
Fist paid shoot is coming quick, it is on Sunday May 31st... just found out I will be shooting Men's trampoline and tumbling for first two days. Then some artistic gymnastics and finally I get to float and take pictures.

I have never even seen a picture of trampoline or tumbling routines, I kinda assume they are the same thing. Some advice and maybe some samples would be great so I have a clue when I get there.

The lady i will be working for and the main reason I am doing this plans on mentoring the photographers helping her, including me, so we can get the best possible pictures so she can make the most possible money :) Makes sense of course. I just want to make a good impression and not be completely clueless going in.

Do have a clue about lighting though. Sounds like manual settings will be around f/2.8, ISO 1600 and shutters between 1/300-500...

So while the money might cover my fuel to the event I am still excited about it for the learning experience.

Again any advice more then welcome, even basic etiquette type of things for a gymnastics meet. Will be a first for me and do not want to get kicked off the floor for a dumb mistake :)

Comments

• Options
    kiz5kiz5 Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    Flash is obvious prohibited.
    Tumbling is "floor" ... at most amateur events, including ones I've shot for the Ontario Gymnastics Federation, the floor is far smaller than what we see on tv. I suggest laying down, to get the most impact in the shots. Pick a corner, and stick to it. Don't move around once the routine begins. A corner you might prefer, is to be by the judges. After the performance, you can get their faces.
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2009
    Thank you.

I had already figured no flashes, just from the reading around here and common sense. Getting low is something I am tending to do a lot lately for photos, the wife hates the grass stains on the knees :)

What I am not sure is around the judges. I figured I would need to give them a wide berth, and uunder no circumstances block their view of course.

Well will certainly be a learning experience.
  • Options
    KellyCKellyC Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2009
    Good luck, can't wait to see the pictures, and the wife should be happy with no grass stains on this shoot.

Best wishes
    Kelly
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2009
    Don't expect too much on photos. I will post what I do get though. Just majority of photos do not belong to me. That the downside when working for someone else :(

The day started rough though. Had to QUICKLY learn how to create folders on the 50D. Thankfully only took a few seconds though.
    Then since first time working for this lady and first time doing gymnastics, and first time shooting with the end goal of being on site viewing.... Ended taking a couple thousand photos this morning and freaked my boss out. She was expecting about 5 pictures per pass on the double mini trampoline. I was doing close to 100....

I learned though....

by the end of day I am sore, headache and tired. luckily tomorrow starts around 2pm...
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2009
    just found this and it is kinda a round about way to get my pictures seen here, even though they are not up yet....

http://www.graceclick.com/photos/09cdngym/

I was shooting double mini trampoline, tumbling and individual trampoline today. My images should have an RB then numbers as image name....

And yes LOADS of pictures to thumb through if you have the time and inclination.

But that does show where I am shooting and the conditions I am shooting in.