5-in-1 reflector

JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
edited June 1, 2009 in People
Well, I finally "upgraded" to the 41 inch reflector. Much better than my smaller one. :D

I bought it for the wedding I'm shooting next weekend. After the wedding, we'll be doing the bridal party portraits outside at or around 12. I'm not sure that it will block a whole group, but it definetly will block the sun for at least three I would think. Anyway, in these images I sat them in full sun. I had someone hold the translucent part between the subject and the sun. WOW! I am impressed.

549649631_wGpBM-L.jpg
549620335_vWVnN-L.jpg
549649346_NtPvw-L.jpg
549618185_nCRbm-L.jpg

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    Great job! #3 is a cracker, even if it was just a test shot :D

I haven't tried this myself (yet), but I've also had it sugggested to use the scrim above as a kind of giant softbox, and then a reflector underneath to create a kind of clamshell setup (I can't tell from your catchlights if you had another reflector underneath, so apologies if I'm completely redundant here!).

I'm dying to do this sometime and have been trying to figure out if I can make a scrim rather than buying a 5-in-1 (although those things are fab - I wish I had the cash to buy a couple before summer gets into full swing!)
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    That would be a neat idea, the clamshell setup, but that would mean I would have to have two assistants. I've got my sister coming for the wedding on the 6th...which i'm so thankful for.
  • codiac2600codiac2600 Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    Great use of the reflector and I love keeping an assortment of them with me no matter the situation.

One suggestion is actually your choice of reflector as the round ones make no sense to me anymore after trying the rectangular reflectors with grips. You can find them from Lastolite and Interfit and oh my goodness what a difference as they don't bend much and you can train yourself to hold it with your left hand and shoot with your right.

The scrim above and kicker reflector is a great combo and actually so popular that they sell massive 3 way scrims that cover an area about 10 feet by 6 feet on the left and right sides plus above! Great for wedding and couple poses, but don't take it out on a windy day.

This video I made here actually shows some setups using a diffuser and kicker combo.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzeOQV_zUbY
    -Chris :)
    http://simplyphotostudio.com
    http://decayedbeauty.com
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    codiac2600 wrote:
    Great use of the reflector and I love keeping an assortment of them with me no matter the situation.

One suggestion is actually your choice of reflector as the round ones make no sense to me anymore after trying the rectangular reflectors with grips. You can find them from Lastolite and Interfit and oh my goodness what a difference as they don't bend much and you can train yourself to hold it with your left hand and shoot with your right.

The scrim above and kicker reflector is a great combo and actually so popular that they sell massive 3 way scrims that cover an area about 10 feet by 6 feet on the left and right sides plus above! Great for wedding and couple poses, but don't take it out on a windy day.

This video I made here actually shows some setups using a diffuser and kicker combo.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzeOQV_zUbY
    Nice video dude:-)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited May 30, 2009
    Well, I finally "upgraded" to the 41 inch reflector. Much better than my smaller one. :D
    I like #3 thumb.gif
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    The light to the eyes and the catchlights are wonderful here! Nice job!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    Thanks everyone. I started watching the video too. I will finish it tonight. It's really good. :)
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    Nice! :D

Has anyone here tried a simple door screen tacked to a light wooden frame, as a diffuser?
    edited May 30, 2009
    D'Buggs wrote:

Has anyone here tried a simple door screen tacked to a light wooden frame, as a diffuser?

i wanted to try that last year but couldnt get anyone to make it for me... i would guess that would work though
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    D'Buggs wrote:

door screen, as in the kind of wire mesh that stops bugs? Does that block enough light?

The kind I used in the college studio were Calumet ones (about 6x3ft) - basically riptstop nylon cut and shaped to fit over a dedicated pvc pipe frame. I think it would be pretty easy to replicate with a cheap (thus thin) nylon shower curtain and some plastic piping.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    Aaaaaaahhhh!!!....

Beautiful girls....beautiful light...captured beautifully!

Well done Julie...clap.gif
  • tijosephtijoseph Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    So what is the five in one reflector you bought?

It looks great!
    edited May 30, 2009
    tijoseph wrote:
    So what is the five in one reflector you bought?

It looks great!
    The reflector has a gold side, sliver side, white side and sun-kissed? side. Then the main piece is translucent.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited May 30, 2009
    Very nicely done, Julie!

Lovely light!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited May 30, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    Very nicely done, Julie!

Lovely light!

Thanks so much! :)
    edited May 31, 2009
    The reflector has a gold side, sliver side, white side and sun-kissed? side. Then the main piece is translucent.

The sun kissed side is called sunlite, soft sun or sunfire. It's an odd mixture of silver weaved with gold but here is the spin on the gold side. Most reflectors don't use anything close to gold and the quality of that light seems to be well... odd. I've always looked at it and I see yellow not warm, not that orange warm glow of light, but harsh yellow. This issue seems more problematic with digital as it's interpretation of light is too accurate for such a color compared to the best portrait films.
    edited May 31, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    door screen, as in the kind of wire mesh that stops bugs? Does that block enough light?

The kind I used in the college studio were Calumet ones (about 6x3ft) - basically riptstop nylon cut and shaped to fit over a dedicated pvc pipe frame. I think it would be pretty easy to replicate with a cheap (thus thin) nylon shower curtain and some plastic piping.

Technically speaking the wire mesh will soften light and take a stop or so of light away. The only downfall being is that the mesh can warp and if you use the diffuser in close it will cast varying amounts of light because of the tighter mesh in some areas and being looser in others. It would be easier to purchase a yard of 9 foot wide muslin and staple it to your frame.
    edited May 31, 2009
    codiac2600 wrote:
    Technically speaking the wire mesh will soften light and take a stop or so of light away. The only downfall being is that the mesh can warp and if you use the diffuser in close it will cast varying amounts of light because of the tighter mesh in some areas and being looser in others. It would be easier to purchase a yard of 9 foot wide muslin and staple it to your frame.
    Or 9ft of 3ft wide one - eaier to find, prolly cheaper, too:-)
    edited May 31, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Or 9ft of 3ft wide one - eaier to find, prolly cheaper, too:-)

9ft wide is $4.99 a yard at the local fabric store mwink.gif
  • My3SonsMy3Sons Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2009
    Very GOOD! I'm loving the soft light. I've always wondered about the translucent reflector, and now I know. Thanks for sharing. One question... did you also use a flash, or is this all natural light?

-Melissa
    www.naturalphotography.smugmug.com
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2009
    codiac2600 wrote:

makes sense, thanks!
    edited May 31, 2009
    My3Sons wrote:
    Very GOOD! I'm loving the soft light. I've always wondered about the translucent reflector, and now I know. Thanks for sharing. One question... did you also use a flash, or is this all natural light?

-Melissa
    www.naturalphotography.smugmug.com

No flash whatsoever. :D
  • barbnjonbarbnjon Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited June 1, 2009

I bought it for the wedding I'm shooting next weekend. After the wedding, we'll be doing the bridal party portraits outside at or around 12. I'm not sure that it will block a whole group, but it definetly will block the sun for at least three I would think. Anyway, in these images I sat them in full sun. I had someone hold the translucent part between the subject and the sun. WOW! I am impressed.

549649631_wGpBM-L.jpg
    549620335_vWVnN-L.jpg
    549649346_NtPvw-L.jpg
    549618185_nCRbm-L.jpg

These are gorgeous! Could you share the PP on the eyes? If any.
    Thanks for sharing.
    edited June 1, 2009
    I just sharpened them just a little. They have really great eyes. I did do a levels adjustment to..that effected them a little bit too. :)