#26 - C&C Requested

FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
edited May 31, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Thinking about the theme, I decided that, just as passing light through a prism is modifying the light, reflecting it off of a shiny surface is also modifying the light. Of course, as a photographer, your only control is how you place yourself vs a vs the subject.

With that in mind, last weekend I took a series of the Prudential tower, the tallest building in Boston. I was hoping that the sunset would yield some nice colors, but the light wasn't too cooperative. There were other problems, some my ineptitude and some just the placement of the buildings etc., but here is one of the shots - cropped and some curves adjustment. I also had to use noise reduction, which didn't really fix the consequences of using a higher ISO than I should have in view of my metering for the bright areas.:cry

550113181_F5Br7-L.jpg

I was pretty discouraged, but decided to try one more time.

Today I went out in late morning. This time Iused a polarizer.

550114529_sqq3i-L-1.jpg

Thoughts, suggestions, comments?

Thanks,

Virginia

Email

Comments

• MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    Reflections are a wonderful way to modify the light.

Of the two, #1 is warmer and more pleasing to my eye. thumb.gif #2 has some weird noise or something in the blue parts that are distracting.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    Very cool idea - I really like both!

I think I like the warmth and clarity of the first one, but the comp and painted quality of the second. I know, I'm no help at all.... :D
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    Hi Virginia...

I like the first one.. I do however like the effects on the second one too.. very pretty...

Still..I get a more reflective feeling from the first and the warm colors on the first aid in the feeling of reflective heat, whereas the colors on the second are very cooling..

Hope that helps some... thumb.gifrofl

Kat
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    Thank you all for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it.

Funny. I really don't like the first one - guess it is the composition. I can appreciate how the warmth of the light attracts though.

Mark, the "noise" in the blue is, I suspect, some of what is behind the windows showing through because of the polarizer. All of the photos I have seen of the Prudential building show a mirror finish so the effect surprised me. I rather like it because it gives the picture the feel of being a painting even though the effect is not the result of post processing. A true case of manipulating the light!!

Don't know if I will enter anything, but it has been fun playing with the reflection idea a bit and absolutely mind blowing (and humbling) to see everyone else's work. I can't wait to see who wins and, boy oh boy, am I glad I don't have to judge this one!

Virginia

Email
  • nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    Hi Virginia,

Have you thought about doing HDR for this shot? If you want detail in the glass during sunset with low noise, I would try 3 (or more) exposures on a tripod and merge them together. It is an interesting idea and I would love to try it myself sometime. I did something similar to this on the John Hancock Tower, but it was midday and all I got was some reflections of the clouds on it, which came out pretty nice, but again light wasn't an issue when I did it ... sunset is a different story, that's why I was thinking of HDR as an option.
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

edited May 30, 2009
    Thanks, Allen. Excellent idea.

Actually, the pictures are of the John Hancock Tower and not the Prudential. My mind is going. rolleyes1.gif (I don't know why I'm laughing about that.ne_nau.gif)

Haven't ever tried HDR, but you may be right about using it for this one.

Virginia

Email
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    I love the first Virgina, the warmth, the comp, and the creamy, smoothie, glassy look. Not sure those are words but that's what I llike about it.

g
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    Virgina.. :nonowhat do you mean you don't know if you will enter anything? I think these are just fine to enter... either one, actually... I like the effects you pulled off here and I think it is worth showing off in the contest, I say enter the one that you feel represents your taste and talent best and go for it....clap.gif just my thoughts..thumb.gif

Kat
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    headscratch.gifThe first one suits the theme the best, IMO. I like the warm colors in it. The second photo has some neat texture in it and the composition is nice, but it's a bit weak on theme. ne_nau.gif

I think what might add interest to #1 is a living element such as birds flying in the sky. There are PS brushes that you can download for free which might help.

Allen's idea of playing around with HDR is worth a shot. That's what I did with my entry.
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited May 30, 2009
    1 all the way!thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif love #1
    Aaron Nelson
  • bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    #1 is stunning! Love it! Enter it! Problem solved. :D
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2009
    #1 i think
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
    edited May 31, 2009
    Goodness, I have been away from my computer for most of the last 24 hours and had pretty much decided not to enter after a reshoot last evening didn't result in anything worth pursuing. (Trying HDR will have to wait, but it is on my agenda to do it asap.)

Now I come back to your wonderful encouragement. You remind me that it is playing the game that counts and not winning.

Sometimes I have a shot I am proud of and I'll enter it without qualms. If it doesn't make the cut, I don't mind, (At least not too much!) Sometimes, though, I enter something that I know isn't challenge worthy then I end up feeling embarrassed.

For this challenge, I have been on the fence. I really didn't want to enter something that was too lame. You have made me look at the pictures with new eyes. It is really fascinating (and educational for me) that so many prefer the sunset one. I'm really glad I asked for input.

So I will enter and I thank you all.

You folks are the best.

Virginia

PS - Thanks for the neat suggestion, Linda. I will check out the link.

Email
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2009
    Flyinggina wrote:
    You remind me that it is playing the game that counts and not winning.

The pursuit of the shot and playing... so very true!!!!

I too agree that the first one is worthy and wonderful!