California... (vacation photos)

heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
edited June 2, 2009 in People
A couple of weeks ago, my entire family (siblings, parents, nieces and nephews etc) all met together in the wonderful land of theme parks, beaches, sunshine and zoos for a joint family vacation. It was a blast. Most of the time I left my camera in the suitcase to take a vacation from photos.... But I did bring it along for a few of our outings.

Our rental house in Carlsbad had lemon trees. I have to confess this was a first for most of us Alaskans- to pick fruit from trees. We pick lots of berries but not actual fruit. So my youngest and I took advantage of the treat and made fresh homemade lemonade. (Apparently whoever it is that fixes her hair was on vacation too, LOL!)
549646437_HLC9H-L.jpg

549647724_jP8bD-M.jpg

3. My Niece, Madeline. (She, incidentally, looks more like me than any of my own children.)
549589789_si6Ts-L.jpg

4. Her face really was that red...
She is a poor fair AK girl and it was pretty hot for us. We applied sunscreen every hour or so, and she still was burning really bad. We eventually had to buy hats. (Another Niece, Marisson) This is at the Wild Animal Park.
549592582_2XMJX-M.jpg

5. At the Zoo, they must have known we were coming and built us a cool down station. We told the kids to get as wet as they could. They were rather shocked at the apparent loss of our senses, but dealt with it as best they could. It was rather a novel idea for them to get wet on purpose while wearing clothes.
549610541_goVwH-L.jpg

549611194_VK2E5-M.jpg

We met up with some of the boys down on the docks in SanDiego. They had chosen to tour historic ships instead of roasting themselves at the zoo.
549621659_ZXBPW-L.jpg

549620825_JKPQR-M.jpg

9. A couple days later I brought out my camera for our last visit to Disneyland. This is while waiting in line (for 2 hours!:huh ) to see the princesses for 3 minutes. At least I had my camera to play with... lol!
549652022_c8aME-L.jpg

10. Goofy Andrew in Goofy's house:
549655788_oEJZD-M.jpg

Anyway, thanks for bearing with me and checking out vacation photos. I know those are always "a favorite" to look at.:rolleyes

C & C always welcome, but they are what they are. No reshoot possible, unfortunately.

Comments

• ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    Sweet
    Heather,

Glad you had a good time here. Thanks for sharing your trip with us. Sorry we were up near you (we,, sort of) so we couldn't cross paths for a few hours.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    What gorgeous kiddos....and great looking photographs too.

We have been beaching it (still away!), but will return home late tommorrow. I shied away from shooting the candid....normal vacation photos this trip and instead left that job up to my daughters. I cant wait to see how they did. I did bring gear though, and spent a couple hours on two seperate afternoons shooting the beginnings of our caboose's senior portfolio. Im anxious to see those on a larger monitor as well. Im sure there is SOMETHING on one of those afternoon shoots worth keeping!rolleyes1.gif

I may not share any of those for months.....but.....Ill tease you by hinting that it involved a prom dress....sand....salt water....incoming tide....and off camera flash. Oh...and her guitar. Shesh....I really hope I have a keeper after describing that!rolleyes1.gif

Looks like you all had a great time. Thanks for sharing your trip with us!thumb.gif
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    ChatKat wrote:
    Heather,

Glad you had a good time here. Thanks for sharing your trip with us. Sorry we were up near you (we,, sort of) so we couldn't cross paths for a few hours.
    It would have been fun to hook up! But such is life. We were so busy we just fell into bed every night in exhaustion.
    Hope your trip up here was great... I hear you got all the good weather. And now it is rainy. :D
    edited May 30, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    What gorgeous kiddos....and great looking photographs too.

We have been beaching it (still away!), but will return home late tommorrow. I shied away from shooting the candid....normal vacation photos this trip and instead left that job up to my daughters. I cant wait to see how they did. I did bring gear though, and spent a couple hours on two seperate afternoons shooting the beginnings of our caboose's senior portfolio. Im anxious to see those on a larger monitor as well. Im sure there is SOMETHING on one of those afternoon shoots worth keeping!rolleyes1.gif

I may not share any of those for months.....but.....Ill tease you by hinting that it involved a prom dress....sand....salt water....incoming tide....and off camera flash. Oh...and her guitar. Shesh....I really hope I have a keeper after describing that!rolleyes1.gif

Looks like you all had a great time. Thanks for sharing your trip with us!thumb.gif

Yeah I hear you about shying away from candid vacation photos. I SO enjoyed the freedom of not being the official photographer. (Except for those 2 days, haha.) I did try my hand at video and discovered that I STINK at it. But I did have fun!

Enjoy your last day of vacation! I sure wish I was still on mine! And don't you dare hoard your daughter's SR pics all to yourself. That is grounds for banning, you know. Or at least strongly worded PMs or something.lol3.gif They sound like they are going to be fantastic! (You know you can always send me a link by PM and then I don't have to whine quite as much...)
    edited May 30, 2009
    Yeah I hear you about shying away from candid vacation photos. I SO enjoyed the freedom of not being the official photographer. (Except for those 2 days, haha.) I did try my hand at video and discovered that I STINK at it. But I did have fun!

Enjoy your last day of vacation! I sure wish I was still on mine! And don't you dare hoard your daughter's SR pics all to yourself. That is grounds for banning, you know. Or at least strongly worded PMs or something.lol3.gif They sound like they are going to be fantastic! (You know you can always send me a link by PM and then I don't have to whine quite as much...)

Oh I dunno......technically....the shots on the beach were a challenge for me....even if I did wait until late afternoon....we will see what we got before I make any promises.....oh...and you gotta pm comin!
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Oh I dunno......technically....the shots on the beach were a challenge for me....even if I did wait until late afternoon....we will see what we got before I make any promises.....oh...and you gotta pm comin!

Hey, no fair! :nono Your fan club will start getting restless :D

Heather, could your family be any cuter? Sheesh. One thing about reading a photo board: "holiday snaps" are "works of art". These are adorable!! thumb.gif (good to see you back around clap.gif)
  • granite.thundergranite.thunder Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    Great shot of the dude in 10.
    edited May 30, 2009
    divamum wrote:

Heather, could your family be any cuter? Sheesh. One thing about reading a photo board: "holiday snaps" are "works of art". These are adorable!! thumb.gif (good to see you back around clap.gif)

Diva,
    She indeed has a beautiful family. Im wondering if I take her family on vacation next summer if it will improve my holiday snaps to this level.

Do ya think?

Oh...and Heather,

My tip of the day for improving home video is to DEFINATELY use a monopod!
    edited May 31, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Diva,
    She indeed has a beautiful family. I'm wondering if I take her family on vacation next summer if it will improve my holiday snaps to this level.

Do ya think?

Oh...and Heather,

My tip of the day for improving home video is to DEFINATELY use a monopod!

You can take my family on vacation ANYTIME. Now that we have met Micky we are up for the Grand Canyon next. But I guess before that I would have hang out at the landscape forum to figure out how to do landscapes. headscratch.gif

I can just imagine me hauling my pod along with my measly video camera to DLand. (Not- I was much to lazy for such a thing!)
    edited May 31, 2009
    divamum wrote:

Thanks Diva- they are all pretty darn cute aren't they!
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2009
    Attractive family - gotta love vacation shots!

The shot that's missing is one of you! Show that your kids comes by her "pretty-ness" honestly! Madeline does look a bit like you - now show the rest of the world what they're missing! You know you want to!
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2009
    Great shots Heather! Looks like you had a great time with that beautiful family of yours! Photos they will love to show when they get older! Wish I was a better photog when my kids were little. Guess I will have to make up for it with grandchildren...someday....
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2009
    I'll look at your vacation photos any day! These are precious.

Caroline
    edited June 1, 2009
    Attractive family - gotta love vacation shots!

The shot that's missing is one of you! Show that your kids comes by her "pretty-ness" honestly! Madeline does look a bit like you - now show the rest of the world what they're missing! You know you want to!

People sure do get bossy in their old age.:D

I was so tempted to share just this to be sassy, lol:
    549650680_X4uS7-M.jpg

But I'll let you have one of these (you know the kind, blown highlights, messy hair, busy background with people cut off) types of vacation photos. Everyone has them including me. But you all know that I obviously did not take it so I'll live.

(Like my bracelet?)

549648853_QWW6W-M-1.jpg
    edited June 1, 2009
    Great shots Heather! Looks like you had a great time with that beautiful family of yours! Photos they will love to show when they get older! Wish I was a better photog when my kids were little. Guess I will have to make up for it with grandchildren...someday....
    I was just saying that same thing a couple of weeks ago about when my kids were little. It is all relative, and I guess we can only do what we can and focus on doing our best now.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2009

I was so tempted to share just this to be sassy, lol:

But I'll let you have one of these (you know the kind, blown highlights, messy hair, busy background with people cut off) types of vacation photos. Everyone has them including me. But you all know that I obviously did not take it so I'll live.

(Like my bracelet?)

rolleyes1.gif

And what was that about none of your children look like you? In that shot your son is a CLONE!

Too.
    Cute.

We need more shots of you, missy!
    edited June 1, 2009
    I'll look at your vacation photos any day! These are precious.

Caroline

Thanks!
    edited June 1, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif

And what was that about none of your children look like you? In that shot your son is a CLONE!

Too.
    Cute.

We need more shots of you, missy!

Ha ha- are you trying to act older than you are by being bossy like Scott? Some people!rolleyes1.gif

My son does look like me, but even more like my brothers at that age...
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    Looks like you had a fabulous trip. Really fun shots here. Been wondering what the family thought of palm trees...Laughing.gif....did you take one home? :D Nice to see the whole gang having fun!
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited June 2, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    Looks like you had a fabulous trip. Really fun shots here. Been wondering what the family thought of palm trees...Laughing.gif....did you take one home? :D Nice to see the whole gang having fun!

Funny you mention palm trees- my daughter (8) had a big goal to actually touch one. We told her she would have ample opportunity. I had to laugh at her, the silly goose.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009

(Like my bracelet?)
    What you say, Willis??? Who you calling OLD?

Me? Bossy? Say it ain't so! rolleyes1.gif

Actually, now that we've actually met IRL, I feel entitled to being a little bossy (and being bossed - it's a two-way street):lol
    Ha ha- are you trying to act older than you are by being bossy like Scott? Some people!rolleyes1.gif

My son does look like me, but even more like my brothers at that age...

And, finally, I have to agree with divamum - your son looks soooo much like you it's uncanny!

Thanks for sharing.

P.S. - I really like the bracelet. Hmmmm ..... I've often wondered what to do with those things. I wonder if they will fit over my hand?
    edited June 2, 2009
    a big goal to actually touch one.
    That is awesomely cute.

...and is so much fun...as a parent....to witness as your kiddos discover new things....

Tell her you know a pseudo-photographer who has a goal to actually lay his hand on a glacier someday. A real one.:D ....bare handed!