Panorama from Upper Yosemite Falls...Yosemite Valley & Half Dome

shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
edited June 2, 2009 in Landscapes
Hey guys,

So here is the result of my trudging up 4.2 miles (and 3000 feet elevation gain) to the Upper Yosemite Falls, with all the pano gear on my back. I am pleased with this panorama (have a couple more, which will see how they turn out). This panorama was shot around sunset from 'Yosemite Point' which is the highest point at the summit of Upper Yosemite Falls. I was the only person at that point around that time (all the day hikers had left a couple of hours before). Incidentally, I did end up getting lost while coming down and had to sleep on the trail till early morning (as I was running out of water and could not, for the life of me figure out where I had taken a wrong turn). Oh well!!!

550284031_Z8R3q-O.jpg

Cheers,

Comments

• Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,467 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    Laughing.gif...sorry, I shouldn't laugh but when I did the hike in 2001, we met 2 hikers that got lost in a snow storm and had to camp out until morning. If you're interested, I have the pictures and my trail journal on my backpacking site. Most of the photos are before I got "into" photography though.

The Backcountry - Yosemite Falls

Anyway, love the pano....excellent job! thumb.gif
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    Laughing.gif...sorry, I shouldn't laugh but when I did the hike in 2001, we met 2 hikers that got lost in a snow storm and had to camp out until morning. If you're interested, I have the pictures and my trail journal on my backpacking site. Most of the photos are before I got "into" photography though.

The Backcountry - Yosemite Falls

Anyway, love the pano....excellent job! thumb.gif

Hey Mike- you will find this funny, but I actually did check out your site a few weeks ago, before I went up there. So you see, you sorta inspired me... :D

The ironic part is that I make so much fun of others when they get lost on hiking trails- I am like, how did you manage to get lost on one trail? And now my friends can't stop making fun of me. My problem was that when I was around an hour from the bottom (I had passed the base of the Upper Yosemite falls), I noticed that the trail seemed to be going uphill. I thought that something was wrong (even thinking that I might have taken a wrong turn and heading towards El Capitan). Since I only had half a bottle of water, I decided to just stay put in one place till daylight. Of course a half hour into my sitting down (around 11 pm), I looked up and saw a young bear (maybe a year old) staring at me (around 40 feet away). It was at that point, that I became very religious and started to remember all the Gods I could think of. The poor li'l bear cub just ran away when he saw me staring at him! :D

It was a great experience though, and one that I would LOVE to repeat. That hike is just spectacular.

BTW here is a shot taken at the summit of the falls looking down (before sunset and before I headed off to Yosemite Point to capture the panorama).

550306987_SKXcq-L.jpg

Cheers,
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,467 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    Great story!

I'm glad you found my site. I've heard it's very popular amongst the backpacker/hikers. :D

How many pictures did you do to capture the pano?

I went up to Tioga Road Wednesday and while I was there, I tried a 6-capture pano. Haven't posted it yet. mwink.gif
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    Both images are beautiful shniks!! Very well done.

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • Picture North CarolinaPicture North Carolina Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited May 31, 2009
    Very nice shot. By "pano gear" are you talking about nodal point stuff?

SmugMug Gallery | Website | Like my Facebook page, I'll like yours
  • scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2009
    I like the pano and the view of the valley is fantastic. You really get the sense of standing there. thumb.gif

The only thing that pokes at me is the "fisheye" bulging of the horizon right of Half Dome. Probably an optical illusion and nothing you can do about it but it does draw my eye towards it.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2009
    Stunning Job on both
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2009
    Simply AWESOME shots, Nikhil!!! thumb.gif

I would say the shots alone would make having to camp out on the trail was worth it, but getting the chance to see the bear cub up close (and not have any trouble from it) is jealousy-inspiring!!!!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    edited May 31, 2009
    Very nice shot. By "pano gear" are you talking about nodal point stuff?

Yeah I meant the entire rig for aligning the nodal point (entrance pupil) correctly. I used the multi-row pano rig so that I could aim the camera down and stitch it easily (without having to crop too much).

Cheers,
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2009
    Wow, excellent job. The detail is amazing. thumb.gif
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2009
    Wow, you must have been seriously scared. I've been lost and I know how frightening it can be. Glad you are OK, and man that Pano is awesome. bowdown.gif The things we photogs will do to get a good photo.rolleyes1.gif

Dan
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2009
    Not sure what I like better, the story, or the photo! lol3.gif

You are now officially a hard-core photographer, congratulations!
    edited June 1, 2009
    Thanks guys...
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Not sure what I like better, the story, or the photo! lol3.gif

You are now officially a hard-core photographer, congratulations![/q]

Yep Ron- it would seem that I am now a member of this elite club of masochists!!! :D

Cheers,
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2009
    Thanks for the story! You seem remarkably calm about it, but I suppose that you're back now (obviously) and I'm glad we didn't lose you to a hungry Yosemite bear. Oh, and wonderful view from the top!
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2009
    rolleyes1.gif ive had to backtrack more than once.....rolleyes1.gif

thumb.gif love your pano!
    Aaron Nelson
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2009
    :jawdrop thumb.gifbowdown.gif

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • ridgemacridgemac Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited June 1, 2009
    I missed these high spots when I was there!
    shniks wrote:
    Hey guys,

So here is the result of my trudging up 4.2 miles (and 3000 feet elevation gain) to the Upper Yosemite Falls, with all the pano gear on my back. I am pleased with this panorama (have a couple more, which will see how they turn out). This panorama was shot around sunset from 'Yosemite Point' which is the highest point at the summit of Upper Yosemite Falls. I was the only person at that point around that time (all the day hikers had left a couple of hours before). Incidentally, I did end up getting lost while coming down and had to sleep on the trail till early morning (as I was running out of water and could not, for the life of me figure out where I had taken a wrong turn). Oh well!!!

550284031_Z8R3q-O.jpg

Cheers,

This is a great shot! I was there in late May but was unable to do any hiking to see this beauty.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Larry
    http://www.ridgemac.smugmug.com/gallery/8070402_KbBLi#545623413_dagFY
    Larry
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    Super colors and processing, Nikhil! Awesome sharpness and comp too! :)
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com