Ok Here Is The Black Light Work

KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
edited May 31, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Had to get them up fast, so some can use a polish here or there... but just wanted to give you the idea....

Keep in mind I only used photoshop to enhance.... all color is achieved by black light and using fluorescent paper tubes to reflect color back in with very long exposures and F stops of 18 to 32 ISO 100...in the pitch dark.. The only light used was black.. no other light or flash.. this really pushed my camera especially since all I have right now is a kit lens and I could only get "so" close...

The same is true for the Shells..The original shell was a dull gray and yellow color with white stripes.. I think the shells did so well because of stuff they pick up in the ocean and it reacts to the blacklight..not sure.. but they really worked well and by the way,, I discovered that blacklight gives you AWESOME black and white conversions..

Draco On Ice

550385765_7f5j9-L.jpg

- this is one of those light prism things where the glass blower blows figures into the prism with air bubbles.. I just utilized it here...

Draco Prism
550385911_uus74-L.jpg

Black LIght Umbra

547365663_RnDXC-L.jpg

--There is some distortion I am working to get out of the background..

Glass Whale - again all blacklight and color tube paper.. whale is originally clear glass..

547365855_89pHH-L.jpg

Tropical Ice

550386052_x6pVG-L.jpg

Black Ice
550385632_P4qie-L.jpg

AND FINALLY -MY SHELLS... MY ORIGINAL IDEA...

AND I INCLUDED A BLACK AND WHITE CONVERSION FOR YOU TO SEE JUST HOW WONDERFUL BLACKLIGHT CAN MAKE A b&w...

HIGH CONTRAST
543713690_cGBKt-L.jpg

NORMAL CONTRAST VERSION

543645889_HEiE2-L.jpg

AND THE BLACK AND WHITE CONVERSION

547365316_BUUWz-L.jpg

ASIDE OF THE SHELLS.. THESE ARE ALL OF THE ONES I HAD SHELVED EARLY ON IN THE CONTEST.. WHATCHA THINK... BE BRUTAL.. NEED TO NARROW IT DOWN FAST...

THANK YOU ALL.. :bow:thumb

kAT

Comments

• KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    Kat, if you can get the distortion out of "Black Light Umbra" it would be my pick of these. Good luck.
    — Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    a hit for the flowers right off.. hmmm.. I have one more of those I may post for you to scrutinize for me if I end up swinging in that direction, if ya don't mind....?

I only shot two..

Thanks Kevin

Kat
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    Of the new ones you posted the Black Light Umbra really stands out. It's gorgeous! If you can't get the distortion out, then I'd consider the normal contrast shell shot.

That Tropical Ice shot would make a great poster!
    edited May 30, 2009
    A blacklight poster? Donn's gonna favor it then..lol

ok, that's 2 for the flower.. got it.. taking notes avidly..

thanks..
    edited May 30, 2009
    Just a thought, what does it say about our social lives when we sit here in front of the computer on a Saturday night? Maybe I better not go there. Introspection can be a scary thing.

Good night ya'll!

My Site, My Book
    edited May 30, 2009
    Good night Kevin and thanks for the advice.. Hey... some of us only have Saturday night to work on anything..........at all... between work and kids >> especially with kids... its called "the husband is home to back me up" HA HA...

Again thanks for the help and have a great weekend....thumb.gif
    Kat
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    A blacklight poster? Donn's gonna favor it then..lol

ok, that's 2 for the flower.. got it.. taking notes avidly..

thanks..

:) I do like it, but I REALLY like the flowers!... there's another vote.
    edited May 30, 2009
    wow,, and to think I was gonna give up on the flower shots... this is a surprise for sure.. thanks Donna....
  • silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    Hi Kat wave.gif

Add another one for the black light umbrella.

I also really like the B&W shell, but I'm a sucker for a good black & white.
    - Joe
    http://silversx80.smugmug.com/
    Olympus E-M5, 12-50mm, 45mm f/1.8
    Some legacy OM lenses and an OM-10
  • bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2009
    I really like the flowers too, but if you can't get the background cleaned up I'd go with the caviar. :D
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2009
    I'll be the odd man out and say I'm really grooving on the Glass Whale. thumb.gifthumb.gif

I think any of the black light images are worthy of entry. Kudos on a very cool interp. of the theme! clap.gif
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2009
    High contrast shell for me.

The concensus is making your life so easy, right??!! eek7.gifD (take it as a compliment - it means you have MANY good shots to choose from! thumb.gif)
    edited May 31, 2009
    Thanks Silver, Brian and Mark ...

Well,,, this really surprised me... I thought the men and bulb shots would come out on top, not the stuff I had already decided to shelve.. I am blown away.. I trust the vote though... and so far, it is for the flowers, the shells, and the caviar...

So, I am going to do a polish today on these and get my final very narrowed down selection up here... hopefully there will be time to get a vote on those...
    I really appreciate the help everyone....

Thanks

Kat
    edited May 31, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    High contrast shell for me.

The concensus is making your life so easy, right??!! eek7.gifD (take it as a compliment - it means you have MANY good shots to choose from! thumb.gif)

well you "did" favor the regular contrast... you changed your mind to the high contrast? I know it is hard between the two because one carries a strength the other does not.. so .. I am gonna reshoot the shell today and see if I cant strike a balance,, the angle and sharpness of the high contrast, but the colors of the normal shot......thanks Diva..

Kat
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2009
    here you are :
    Draco On Ice

550385765_7f5j9-L.jpg

kinda cool

Draco Prism
    550385911_uus74-L.jpg

also kinda cool, but those colors aren't my favorite to say the least. I'm not sure if i'm the only one but some colors just weird me out. =c/
    Black LIght Umbra

547365663_RnDXC-L.jpg

really cool as well but somehow i find myself almost ambivalent about it

547365855_89pHH-L.jpg

nice but the colors put me off

Tropical Ice

550386052_x6pVG-L.jpg

same thing with the colors

Black Ice
    550385632_P4qie-L.jpg

i love this one, but the only thing that throws me off are the lines of the table (table?); it looks like they would not meet where I would expect them to meet. I understand that that's probably an optical illusion, but it's still unsettling. I would try to move the right line down.

HIGH CONTRAST
    543713690_cGBKt-L.jpg

nice but a little dark
    NORMAL CONTRAST VERSION

543645889_HEiE2-L.jpg
    nice, but a little light (i'm starting to feel like (goldy locks)

547365316_BUUWz-L.jpg

this right here is awesomeness

kAT
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
    edited May 31, 2009
    wow.. thanks Pyro, I mean Goldilocks..Laughing.gif

I appreciate the in-depth review.. I kinda figured the colors would put a lot of people off.. I don't like them either, but that is what the black light offers...

I am working on a final draft of shells and flowers.... narrowed it down to that..

I have a question for you though... do you think the black vignette is all wrong for that black and white conversion shell ? I may use it, if I don't,, I still want it in my folio.. so was wondering is the vignette helps or hinders it???

Thanks
    and wow.. on your ring. love it.. gold and purple are very royal colors together..

Kat
    edited May 31, 2009
    Good night Kevin and thanks for the advice.. Hey... some of us only have Saturday night to work on anything..........at all... between work and kids >> especially with kids... its called "the husband is home to back me up" HA HA...

Again thanks for the help and have a great weekend....thumb.gif
    Kat

I hope no one took that the wrong way. After watching my sister try to coordinate everything with two boys (8 & 11 yrs.old) with little or no help from the ex, you have my utmost admiration. I have a hard enough time taking care of myself and find time to shoot a few frames.

My Site, My Book
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2009
    Vignette

547365316_BUUWz-L.jpg

A vignette here looks good, but it needs to be a bit more subtle. You want the viewer to be pulled toward the shell but not realize what they're being pulled toward the shell.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2009
    These are all gorgeous Kat clap.gif

Dan
    edited May 31, 2009
    Thanks Dan..Glad you like them..!!!!

Linda.. thanks for the suggestion on the vignette.. I will feather it out..

Kat
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    A vignette here looks good, but it needs to be a bit more subtle. You want the viewer to be pulled toward the shell but not realize what they're being pulled toward the shell.

i kinda 15524779-Ti.gif
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2009
    Wow, some amazing shots to choose from.
    I like the first one and the b/w shell.