Comments please?

jandrewnelsonjandrewnelson Registered Users Posts: 300 Major grins
edited June 1, 2009 in Landscapes
This shot was taken overlooking the VA hospital in Asheville, NC. The "fog" in the b ackgroun is actually a rainstorm coming through the mountain gap. There were about ten street lights in the picture that I took out. What else could I do to make this shot superb?

Thanks for the help!
Jerry Nelson
www.JourneyAmerica.org

549729127_NS73Y-M.jpg

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2009
    Hi Jerry!

The key thing I find about this image is that I don't know what I should be looking at. If you didn't write about the storm coming in I wouldn't really have picked up on it. Is that the primary focus of this scene? If so, then composing so that there was less "stuff" in the way might help. The cars definitely don't add much to the scene, unfortunately. There's potential in the shape of the mountains, so if there was a way to move and position yourself so the building and foreground was minimized it might bring out the storm clouds and the fog a bit more.

Just my two cents. I hope this helps! :D
  • jandrewnelsonjandrewnelson Registered Users Posts: 300 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    Hi Jerry!

The key thing I find about this image is that I don't know what I should be looking at. If you didn't write about the storm coming in I wouldn't really have picked up on it. Is that the primary focus of this scene? If so, then composing so that there was less "stuff" in the way might help. The cars definitely don't add much to the scene, unfortunately. There's potential in the shape of the mountains, so if there was a way to move and position yourself so the building and foreground was minimized it might bring out the storm clouds and the fog a bit more.

Just my two cents. I hope this helps! :D

Thanks for the input! I'll scout around today and tomorrow for a better vantage point before the rain hits.

Thanks again and blessings
    Jerry Nelson
    www.meesoon.smugmug.com
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2009
    just by cropping out the bottom parking lot would help IMO.

bring the flag pole at least 1/3 into the composition also...

thumb.gif nice background
    Aaron Nelson
  • jandrewnelsonjandrewnelson Registered Users Posts: 300 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2009
    just by cropping out the bottom parking lot would help IMO.

bring the flag pole at least 1/3 into the composition also...

thumb.gif nice background

Thanks for the input and advice!

Jerry Nelson