Ballet photo shoot - Practice Session

sonny_csonny_c Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
edited June 5, 2009 in People
This is all new to me!

In the distant future we are thinking about shooting Children & Senior portraits. But before we even can think about charging for a session we need lots of practice! I refuse to learn on the job at a customers expense. That's just me.

This past weekend while in Dallas visiting Dawn (my wife's best friend) we had an opportunity to practice with Dawn's daughter, Bailey. This is all part of my learning processing. I have no experience in posing, off camera lighting, or portrait photography. I've messed around a bit with my kids but nothing serious.

I took this series of photos to gauge my skills. I need to know where to go from this point forward. C&C welcomed....PLEASE.

GTP_3137_1.jpg

GTP_3168_1.jpg

GTP_3170_1.jpg

GTP_3156.jpg

GTP_3173_1.jpgGTP_3179_1.jpgGTP_3199.jpg

GTP_3213.jpgGTP_3161_1.jpg

Comments

• MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2009
    I think with the ballet costume on, you want to showcase the child doing ballet or at least dancing/warming up as much as possible, which is probably why those resonate the most with me. The ones of the girl just sitting on the couch, not so much.

Keep at it, they're all really good pictures! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • dustin32dustin32 Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited June 4, 2009
    Love the first one, the PP is great IMHO, and the one of her on the street is really neat as well.
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    Hi newbie! I like your processing in the third shot! I also like the one by the tree....clap.gif In the others the only thing that really stands out to me is the void in her eyes. You should try to find some better catchlights somewhere...either reflector, window light, bounced off a house or a flash off camera or something of that sort. With out a decent catchlight the eyes seem to be quite void. But you are one your way!!!
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!