Options

The Fly

windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
edited June 14, 2005 in Holy Macro
be easy on me - im very new to this macro stuff and i havent tried it for over a month. I think its amazing that an inexperienced person like me can take a picture like this. I think nzmacro, Skippy, Lord etc do magic!!! Im excited that i can participate! Handheld, Sigma 150 Macro.....

troy
24892060-M.jpg24909144-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2005
    He's Colourful Troy
    windoze wrote:
    be easy on me - im very new to this macro stuff and i havent tried it for over a month. I think its amazing that an inexperienced person like me can take a picture like this. I think nzmacro, Skippy, Lord etc do magic!!! Im excited that i can participate! Handheld, Sigma 150 Macro.....

troy
    It's not right ya know that don't ya eek7.gif the flies I have seen (and mind you they are not in abundance like they used to be) are black, how come you guys get all the pretty coloured flies, beetles, butterflies etc ne_nau.gif
    Just about everything I find to photograph is either Black, Brown, Grey, or White....... got given a big spider what colour was it .. GREY rolleyes1.gif

Now I know flies come in all different sizes, our what I call house flies are very small not much bigger than the icons in this post, we have whats known as Blow Flies, they are quite large, then we have March Flies they bite and they have big eyes, then we have those Robber Flies that bite too and are really big too..........trying to get an idea of the actual size of your subject how big would you say he/she is ?

Your composition on this one is very nice, love the colours, you can only get better and better Troy, the hardest thing doing Macro is focusing on the eyes, it is not easy to do, and I constantly struggle with it, don't know anyone who gets worse doing Macro :D Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2005
    Hi Troy,
    That's a nice fly macro. The clarity and focus is good. I think the background is an excellent compliment to your fly. I've been hunting a few times with my 100mm macro and haven't produced anything I'm willing to post. I do have a set of standards for posting, only somewhat though.

Good shot,
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2005
    Sweet Troy,one of the best flies I have seen in a whilethumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2005
    thanx John, it was actually a very tiny fly, i dont know how big it was but it was small enough that i couldnt make out any details with my naked eyes...

troy
    Sweet Troy,one of the best flies I have seen in a whilethumb.gif
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2005
    I don't care much for the buds on the bottom, but overall I really like the shot. The colors are fantastic.thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2005
    Big Thanx Skippy! I was about 12 inches away and this was a very small fly, smaller than your usual nagging fly....

troy
    Skippy wrote:
    It's not right ya know that don't ya eek7.gif the flies I have seen (and mind you they are not in abundance like they used to be) are black, how come you guys get all the pretty coloured flies, beetles, butterflies etc ne_nau.gif
    Just about everything I find to photograph is either Black, Brown, Grey, or White....... got given a big spider what colour was it .. GREY rolleyes1.gif

Now I know flies come in all different sizes, our what I call house flies are very small not much bigger than the icons in this post, we have whats known as Blow Flows, they are quite large, then we have March Flies they bite and they have big eyes, then we have those Robber Flies that bite too and are really big too..........trying to get an idea of the actual size of your subject how big would you say he/she is ?

Your composition on this one is very nice, love the colours, you can only get better and better Troy, the hardest thing doing Macro is focusing on the eyes, it is not easy to do, and I constantly struggle with it, don't know anyone who gets worse doing Macro :D Skippy (Australia)
  • Options
    nzmacronzmacro Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2005
    You have nothing to worry about with macro shots like these Troy. For a start you are 1000% more versatile than I will ever be. These are great, love the metallic colours and the sharp details. Nice clean backgrounds and well done in the exposure and lighting departments Troy. thumb.gifthumb.gif. I've been following shots taken from the Sigma 150mm macro and its only as good as the eyes behind it. Not bad eyes at all Troy mwink.gif

Danny.
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2005
    Ya got my fly vote thumb.gif
  • Options
    SusanBSusanB Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2005
    As much as I really detest flies:smack , those are beautiful images! The colors, clarity and compositions are terrific, IMHO. thumb.gif The only thing that you could strive for is the portrait look with the eyes more aimed at the camera.:photo

Susan
  • Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2005
    Great shots
    Excellent shots Troy. Lighting is very different to what I normally achieve. Like #1 the best- good pose wonderfull colours and best wings I've seen in a while.
    So how was the lighting done?- natural/flash. If flash where was it mounted?
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2005
    thanx chris,

with all the great macros on here i was a little intimidated on posting but what the heck? i have a long way to go but i figure i got to start somewhere...

troy
    That's a nice fly macro. The clarity and focus is good. I think the background is an excellent compliment to your fly. I've been hunting a few times with my 100mm macro and haven't produced anything I'm willing to post. I do have a set of standards for posting, only somewhat though.

Good shot,
    Chris
  • Options
    MuskyDudeMuskyDude Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2005
    Those are great Troy, nice and sharp!!!

AJ