Yosemite: Tioga Lake

Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,467 Major grins
edited June 1, 2009 in Landscapes
Not technically in Yosemite, but it's close enough that you can see it. This is a campground in the summer, but right now it's closed. Only me and a father/son fishing were the only ones there. The best photography spots were also the best fishing spots, so I had to be careful not to get in the way of fishing equipment.

_MG_8768.jpg
5D, 17-40mm f/4L, ISO 100, 1/160, f/11

Comments

• CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2009
    Not technically in Yosemite, but it's close enough that you can see it. This is a campground in the summer, but right now it's closed. Only me and a father/son fishing were the only ones there. The best photography spots were also the best fishing spots, so I had to be careful not to get in the way of fishing equipment.

_MG_8768.jpg

Gorgeous shot, Mike!! thumb.gif

I gotta get back up there to Yosemite... rolleyes1.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,537 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2009
    Nice looking shot!! Looks like a lot of you are hanging out in the park and the surround area these days.
  • Picture North CarolinaPicture North Carolina Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited June 1, 2009
    Very nice shot. So did you come from the Yosemite side? Is the pass plowed / open already?

SmugMug Gallery | Website | Like my Facebook page, I'll like yours
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,467 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2009
    Adam - I'm about 1.5 hours from highway 140 entrance gate. So I get up there as much as I can.

Canned Grins - Yes, Tioga Pass is now open. They opened it a few weeks ago! :ivar

- Thanks for looking.
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2009

Lovely shot Mike. I love the WA aspect of the shot too. Was it shot at 17mm?

I spent a day last week driving up Tioga pass. It's really a beautiful drive and I need to spend more time there, sometime in the future. BTW the biggest disappointment for me were the Mono lake tufas (hope I got that spelling right). I had this impression that an area of the lake would be filled with these. I literally had to drive to the edge of the lake to find them and I was like 'THIS is it?'... :nah

Cheers,
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2009
    shniks wrote:

I spent a day last week driving up Tioga pass. It's really a beautiful drive and I need to spend more time there, sometime in the future. BTW the biggest disappointment for me were the Mono lake tufas (hope I got that spelling right). I had this impression that an area of the lake would be filled with these. I literally had to drive to the edge of the lake to find them and I was like 'THIS is it?'... :nah

Cheers,

Rut roh... I've been really looking forward to going to Mono Lake and seeing it in person. Now I hear I need to bring a magnifying glass? lol3.gif

Mike I really love the shape of the mountains and the U that gets created in the reflection. Gorgeous and peaceful!
  • NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2009
    Nice shot, Mike. I like the geometry, the crispness of the reflections, and the clarity of the water revealing the rocky bottom. Well composed image thumb.gif
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,467 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2009
    shniks wrote:

Yes, @ 17mm.

Thanks for the feedback about the 'Tufus'. Never been there. ne_nau.gif

Thanks for looking. bowdown.gif