Options

Can client order black and white when only color is uploaded?

Emily DeWanEmily DeWan Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited May 19, 2012 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Greetings! To sell both black & white and color versions of the same photo, what is the best method? I know I can go in and manually change an individual photo to black & white, sepia, etc., but that replaces the original color image, yes? And I can set a proof hold for the order so I can upload my own black & white, but that will also replace the original. Even if I do that, is there a place for the client to add a note that they would like that one black & white?
So... what are folks doing to offer both color and black & white to their clients?

Thanks!
Emily

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2009
    We don't that feature yet. I'm sorry you'll need to make a 2nd BW version.
  • Options
    NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2009
    There are so many ways to make a black-and-white...
    To have such a feature, SmugMug would need to have Lightroom-like tools online.
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2009
    Nimai wrote:
    There are so many ways to make a black-and-white...
    To have such a feature, SmugMug would need to have Lightroom-like tools online.

There's an option to make a copy of an image in your online gallery, so you can make the copy a black and white. You could also use the piknik.com editing option and save as a copy, instead of replacing.
  • Options
    Mark DickinsonMark Dickinson Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2012
    I haven't seen the feature updates but curios if this has been implemented. I always have a client saying "we want this in black and white" then I have to go in change the file re upload and send it.

I think I've seen a lot of sites do BW, Sepia, and there's another that does vivid saturation + and High contrast. BW/sepia would be fine since most of the people only know of that (but its more options for decisiveness again)
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2012
    I haven't seen the feature updates but curios if this has been implemented. I always have a client saying "we want this in black and white" then I have to go in change the file re upload and send it.

I think I've seen a lot of sites do BW, Sepia, and there's another that does vivid saturation + and High contrast. BW/sepia would be fine since most of the people only know of that (but its more options for decisiveness again)

We haven't done this yet, sorry. This has no bearing on whether we'll do it or not, but as a working pro myself, I can't imaging letting a one-size-fits-all BW routine do my BWs for clients - would much rather do them myself thumb.gif
  • Options
    Mark DickinsonMark Dickinson Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2012
    I do agree, it just has me flustered some days when I get a client that says, "oh can you do this in color, or this one we like black and white cand you make it color though." it just get's endless I gotta find a fix for it here. I agree with you though on the 'letting them make the decision" just frustration.