Shooting 1 year olds

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited June 6, 2009 in People
Seems like I may have another possible shoot... :huh Some friends asked about doing their 13 month old and possibly some family shots; I'd like to do it, but I haven't said yes to this one yet - I have NO experience photographing babies since my own was that size and it scares the pants off me! :tiptoe

So... suggestions for this age group both with and without parents? As I remember it this is one of the peak stranger anxiety ages/phases and I don't know this little guy - how do you get them to cooperate and interact? What are the pitfalls, good locations and things to try? (Gee, I don't want much, do I?! : :rolleyes :giggle)

Next thing is pricing - unlike headshots, I've not been a client in this situation so have no personal experience to base on. Is it hourly + prints (and do prints go via smug or other service, and does the client pay you or them? Sorry, my cluelessness is showing on this.... :hide)

All comments welcome. I need to respond to the request which I would like to accept, but I figure I should get my ducks in a row first so that I 1 know what I"m getting myself into and 2 know what to charge for it :D

ETA: I do not have a toddler-friendly space in my home, so a formal "studio" setup would be out; I would be asking for this to be either at their home, or a park or other more suitable (and safe!) location. Of course, my own lighting setup is speedlights and thus portable so I could take a background with me without much fuss.... :scratch

Comments

• sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2009
    Be prepared to get down on the ground and don't even think you'll be able to use the tripod! Little ones tend to feel more at ease outdoors, so a park or garden is a good idea. I usually start by just taking a few shots of baby being held and interacting with parents. Once the child is ready to get down, I ask a parent to come stand by me and look over my shoulder to talk to their child. It's good if the other parent can be closer to keep the child safe, and also so the child feels more secure. Take some bubbles along to get the child's attention. Your daughter could be a great help with that, especially if you are shooting the baby with parents.

Here's one I did last week.

546901153_tr3gW-XL.jpg

545708086_PshG7-XL.jpg

Just take lots and lots of shots, catch them in between poses. You'll get some good stuff.
  • wadesworldwadesworld Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    We had shots taken around that age of our twins. We had them rolling around on a bed in just a diaper, and then took them out to the garden. As was mentioned, they're NOT going to follow any commands, so just concentrate on being down at their level and getting the shots when they come. Parents' attention will need to be focused on trying to coax smiles out of them, so I'd recommend they not be in the picture unless that's really what they're after.
    Wade Williams
    Nikon D300, 18-135/3.5-5.6, 70-300/4.5-5.6, SB800
  • Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    wave.gif Hi Divamum!

You will not really be able to pose. The most you can hope for is sitting them in a nice spot and trying to snap a good photo before they run off. Give him/her a flower to play with for a minute...that can get you some cute photos. As already stated, no tripods AND I always use on camera flash for the little ones because you will be crawling/running around. If you try and set up lights and try to get the child to sit/stand in the right spot, you will miss all the best shots that will happen when the child is running around.
    Stay low.... at the childs level.... and be patient.

It's a lot of fun, you should try it!
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    Thanks all! I avoid using a tripod whenever possible anyway - greatly prefer to handhold, so that's no problem at all. I can probably also use my flash in my hand as well as on the shoe, so that opens up some more creative mobile lighting too.

Great suggestions. One of the things that makes me nervous is that my own daughter was so incredibly easy at that age, which I know isn't always typical - she was sooooo easy and unfussy that we never really had to learn all those soothing techniques because was always so happy-go-lucky. She smiled at everybody and had virtually NO stranger anxiety throughout early childhood, so I have no firsthand experience dealing with it - especially standing there as Crazy Cyclops Lady with the big black thing in front of her face!

Is this the age where noise-toys near the camera help? Flower sounds good. Any other easy and distractable props/techniques that help them feel more at ease while we do the photographic thing?

Thanks again - all comments warmly welcomed (and thanks for the pm's, too!)
  • wadesworldwadesworld Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    Sadly for me, many children love slapstick comedy. Nothing will bring a laugh out faster than Daddy busting his rear. So on the photoshoots of our children, my wife takes the shots while I end up making a total moron of myself. Now, my children are quite a bit older, but I find that slapstick is pretty universal - children of nearly any age past 6 months will laugh at daddy falling down, hitting himself in the head, or some such painful maneuver.
    Wade Williams
    Nikon D300, 18-135/3.5-5.6, 70-300/4.5-5.6, SB800
  • Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Thanks all! I avoid using a tripod whenever possible anyway - greatly prefer to handhold, so that's no problem at all. I can probably also use my flash in my hand as well as on the shoe, so that opens up some more creative mobile lighting too.

!)

Hmmm, you can hold and use your camera with one handheadscratch.gif Please let me know the secret!!
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."
    edited June 2, 2009
    Karrie McD wrote:
    Hmmm, you can hold and use your camera with one handheadscratch.gif Please let me know the secret!!

Small, lightweight camera - Xsi - with a vertical capable grip! I don't LIKE doing it that way (and certainly can't shoot that way for extended periods), but I can do it for bursts .... :D
    edited June 2, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Small, lightweight camera - Xsi - with a vertical capable grip! I don't LIKE doing it that way (and certainly can't shoot that way for extended periods), but I can do it for bursts .... :D

I've built up the strength to hold my D300 with one hand and the flash in the other. I'm not saying it's easy, but I sometimes work that way. I used that technique for a baptism and brunch I did yesterday- lots of informal pics.

Caroline
  • JustPlainMeJustPlainMe Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    Well, I have a friend, Jennifer, who only does natural light kid photography. Drawing on my own experience shooting my kids (daily), and what I see from her, I think that you should definitely try for outside---a park or nice local area with grass, neutral or nicely textured backgrounds, whatever the family is looking for. Jennifer (the girl in my church) asks the parents to pick the location, and she tries to limit it to early morning which is usually better for the very young ones. (My son has a great picture window between 7:30 and 10:00 a.m., then he's really done. He's never as happy the rest of the day as he is in the morning.) I think studio work is so difficult because at that age, they just don't sit still and they are so curious.

Definitely hand-holding is a great option for shooting kids. Getting down on their level and moving around with them is the way to really capture their personalities. I frequently spend most of my time photographing my son while I'm lying in the grass on my stomach.

That is a tough age---there could be separation anxiety, in which case it's doubly important to have a parent there in order to have a happy baby. If there's a sibling, that helps, too. When my son was that age (and younger), all I could get was him sitting on the grass smiling at his sister, who would stand behind me with his favorite toy. I couldn't get the two of them together, ever, once he was sitting up and crawling. I still don't have a picture of them "posing."

For payment, Jennifer charges an hourly "talent" fee and for that time, she'll go anywhere to any number of locations and take as many shots as you want. So in an hour, we walked around to four or five locations close to each other that I liked and that she said had worked well. Prints are a standard a la carte rate; she sends a proof sheet via email (or a link to her online gallery), I pick what I want and what size, and she orders them. Regular prices; $6 for a 4X6, $10 for a 5X7, etc.

I'm sorry if this is all duplicate info or useless!

HTH!

Sarah
    Please ignore my opinions! And if I ask for constructive criticism, please give it to me. I have really thick skin! :huh
  • happysmileyladyhappysmileylady Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    One year olds are a blast!

As others have mentioned, they don't really "pose." But, for the most part, they sit, stand, walk, and run :D And with that, you can still get cute "poses." There's of course standard sitting down, as posted above. You can also whip them around and have them look over their shoulder at you, though sometimes they turn their whole little bodies around for that. A cute little toy train or cars would probably hold his attention for a little bit. Also standing, you can do standing alone or holding onto playground equipment. And they can also look back over their shoulders for that sort of thing too. A cute one with all of them is to have mom and dad stand and each hold one hand while he walks, but all you see of mom and dad are the arms and hands (and maybe some legs and feet.)

As far as catching attention...Play peek a boo using the camera to hide behind, make all sorts of noises-blow raspberries, make animal noises etc etc etc.
  • lisarhinehartlisarhinehart Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    capturing a bit of their personality
    By similar I mean photographing young children, and getting on their level, but not that it was paid or professional.

Today I met my friend at the park in hopes of getting 1 shot that captured the personality of each of her three children (4,2,6mo) for father's day while we were trying to watch my two (4 and 1) at the same time. We had planned for 9:30, but as 5 kids would have it, we didn't get out there until 11:15 or so and that is in the "danger zone" in terms of lighting- ugh.

I agree with the comment about slapstick and calling their name in a sing-songy voice, silly noises, squeaking toys for babies, flowers or other cute props that make for good opportunities. I'm relieved to hear that other people don't pose children, though sweet caroline that is a gorgeous family pose.

I also rec (and maybe this is obvious) getting there a little early and finding the places with the best light and places that are interesting to kids and will hold their attention. I suggested hide and seek, which resutled in some really sweet shots involving peeking, covering eyes, running and laughing-- also the oldest one liked climbing the tree.

1. The baby
    553511866_SBYZY-L.jpg

2. The oldest
    553513105_hvNnF-L.jpg

3. And the middle one just ran the entire time (as always)
    553514529_kjJMe-L.jpg

I saw this nice backlit area, and my friend was the only one willing to pose there as the kids were spent.
    553513979_9hnhU-L.jpg

Having parents there to get the kids to smile etc. would be great and leaving the begining time to play with the child and let them get to know you a little. Maybe this is cheesy, but hats and other props/toys could elicit some cute pics-- mayeb bring some of their favorite toys ie a worn stuffed bear?

I think the woman who travels is a genious-- it will keep them interested and happy and make them last longer and give more interesting pics. And lots of pics at those locations, too. I know 20 minutes was WAY too short for three. I definately would NOT recommend bringing your own kids to the shoot, setting aside only 20 minutes or shooting so close to noon, but I doubt anyone else would be crazy enough to try any of those!!! lol
    Lisa
    My Website
  • KhristenKhristen Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    I'm in the same boat- fairly new to photographing children. I have however had several that I have already done. IT WAS TERRIBLE (with some of them)! The children had no manners and ran off with several of my bags and equipment. I was constantly running them off and herding. The parents weren't very helpful. Thankfully though, I had plenty that I borrowed from my own kids rooms. I took blocks, coloring books etc to help keep them busy. It just took me awhile to get them settled down. I encourage parents to bring their own items to add to the pictures. I've taken pics of brothers playing with cars and a little girl with her moms shoes on. It all depends on the mood of the pics that are being taken.

When I shoot infants and small children. I try to get as many shots as possible of the more rambunctious kids at first, before they get totally out of control. However, it varies per family and situation. When shooting infants and small toddlers I take a cat toy on a string, the ones on the end of the plastic poles. Really, I know it sounds crazy but you can shake it an get their attention and if you want a smile brush their cheek with it and VIOLA! In most cases anyway. Another thing that has happened more than once is that the child doesn't want it's picture taken. That takes extra work on my part. I end up having to trick the kid. Sometimes I almost feel bad, lol.

You can't always do the same for every shoot and I think we've all learned that appointments never quite go as expected. Start shooting and grow as you go. Just try to keep an eye on your equipment if they are rough kids. I take only what is absolutely needed now.

As far as pricing goes: I keep my general session fees and post to SM. They purchase from there and so far I have had no complaints. Because I'm dealing with kids the session generally goes to an hour and a half, but i take a flat hour fee. You can't rush kids. And I always have them outside. I have only had children in my shop/house that I knew were well behaved. I am fortunate enough to have a photogenic pond as a background on my property so I might have the family over to the house for the shoot but I try to stay outside.
    Good luck!

Some of my favs that I ever did are here:
    http://memoriestolast.smugmug.com/gallery/7134871_md9tZ#521479277_VfotU
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Seems like I may have another possible shoot... eek7.gif Some friends asked about doing their 13 month old and possibly some family shots; I'd like to do it, but I haven't said yes to this one yet - I have NO experience photographing babies since my own was that size and it scares the pants off me! :tiptoe

So... suggestions for this age group both with and without parents? As I remember it this is one of the peak stranger anxiety ages/phases and I don't know this little guy - how do you get them to cooperate and interact? What are the pitfalls, good locations and things to try? (Gee, I don't want much, do I?! : rolleyes1.gif :giggle)

Next thing is pricing - unlike headshots, I've not been a client in this situation so have no personal experience to base on. Is it hourly + prints (and do prints go via smug or other service, and does the client pay you or them? Sorry, my cluelessness is showing on this.... :hide)

All comments welcome. I need to respond to the request which I would like to accept, but I figure I should get my ducks in a row first so that I 1 know what I"m getting myself into and 2 know what to charge for it :D

ETA: I do not have a toddler-friendly space in my home, so a formal "studio" setup would be out; I would be asking for this to be either at their home, or a park or other more suitable (and safe!) location. Of course, my own lighting setup is speedlights and thus portable so I could take a background with me without much fuss.... headscratch.gif

Rather than write it all here Diva, if you want....check out my site...lots of 1 year olds (many in studio but getting more outside now that the weather is nice!) and the pricing is there also.... Don't be afraid to take it...you won't know if you like it unless you try...and unlike a wedding there are always do overs the next day!!
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
    edited June 5, 2009
    Rather than write it all here Diva, if you want....check out my site...lots of 1 year olds (many in studio but getting more outside now that the weather is nice!) and the pricing is there also.... Don't be afraid to take it...you won't know if you like it unless you try...and unlike a wedding there are always do overs the next day!!

Thanks Everybody!

Sandy, you BET I have been looking at your site! :Dthumb.gif

I did accept the gig (we're still scheduling, so not sure when we'll be doing it so it's not "booked" officially yet), and I came up with what I think of as an ok "starter package". It's in a format I can easily adjust as I gain experience or if I start to put myself "out there" in a more formal manner and it's fine for now.

One additional question came to mind as I was thinking about this: do you use a longer lens so you can step back and capture them more unobserved, or try to get right in there with them? Just wondering.

Thanks for the (continued) replies, all!
    edited June 5, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Thanks Everybody!

Sandy, you BET I have been looking at your site! :Dthumb.gif

I did accept the gig (we're still scheduling, so not sure when we'll be doing it so it's not "booked" officially yet), and I came up with what I think of as an ok "starter package". It's in a format I can easily adjust as I gain experience or if I start to put myself "out there" in a more formal manner and it's fine for now.

One additional question came to mind as I was thinking about this: do you use a longer lens so you can step back and capture them more unobserved, or try to get right in there with them? Just wondering.

Thanks for the (continued) replies, all!

I use a zoom so I have the option of getting close or staying back. Some kids feel more comfortable if you stay out of their space, but others really like the interaction. Actually, I find a mixture of both works well in almost every session. Being able to have more distance is good when I'm just having them play around, then I can shoot without them really noticing me. For those close shots with them looking towards the camera, you will need to get close enough to interact.

Caroline
    edited June 5, 2009
    I use a zoom so I have the option of getting close or staying back. Some kids feel more comfortable if you stay out of their space, but others really like the interaction. Actually, I find a mixture of both works well in almost every session. Being able to have more distance is good when I'm just having them play around, then I can shoot without them really noticing me. For those close shots with them looking towards the camera, you will need to get close enough to interact.

Caroline

Thanks Caroline! You have such an advantage working with Pre-schoolers, because you're already attuned to reading them. I'm ok with little ones, but I guess because I'm chatty and high energy they either seem to LOVE me or be terrified of me, with very little in-between. As I say, my own daughter was sooooo easy with people from day 1 that I never had to learn those "make them comfortable" skills, and my own teaching is with college kids (who are, allegedly, more verbal and housetrained, although sometimes I have to wonder!!! rolleyes1.gif)

These tips are so helpful! Thank you all so much. I'll keep you posted as this thing moves along - I have no doubt I'll be back for more advice and handholding :D
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    Here's one of my Great Neice taken 1 week before her first birthday with GrandMa! This one was taken at the kitchen table with my Nikon D300 & 18-70 lens.

553446890_PXyxp-M.jpg

She seems to be taking after her mother (my neice) in that she likes books! This was her favorite book, because it had a lot of animals in it, and one page it had a cat, and it actually has something attached to the page that feels like cat fur. She usually goes to that page and acts like she is petting it.

What gets me excited about photographing her is her eyes! I love to photograph kids with large eyes for some reason! Actually, I just have a thing for large eyes, reguardless of their age!

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams