Coahuila Desert, Mexico

AlatristeAlatriste Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
edited June 2, 2009 in Landscapes
These are digital pictures taken with my Casio 5.0 MP pocket camera.

This is Poza Azul (Blue Pool). I have been riding my motorcycle down deep into Mexico. This is a thermal spring out in the middle of the desert.

552170004_zpD2A-M.jpg

Again out in the Coahuila desert. This is a petrified sand dune made of gypsum. The wind has weathered it down into this eerie shape.

552179324_RBxLa-M.jpg

El Muerto (The Dead Man). Mountain range. This was taken at morning twilight from the balcony of my hotel (a small bed & no breakfast).

552179355_LSSb4-M.jpg

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2009
    Alatriste wrote:
    This was taken at morning twilight from the balcony of my hotel (a small bed & no breakfast).

I love how you made extra-sure to qualify that lol3.gif

Still, looks like a really gorgeous place. That spring is incredibly clear and blue!
  • AlatristeAlatriste Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    ...Still, looks like a really gorgeous place. That spring is incredibly clear and blue!
    The B&B was actually pretty nice. I think there was no breakfast because there are not a lot of tourists, plus I was there mid-week as opposed to the weekend. In any case, I just walked to the central plaza, found a bakery, and had breakfast on a park bench before heading out on my motorcycle to explore the area.

The spring is thermal and hence the blue tint. There are cold water springs in the area which do not have the blue tint but are nonetheless are very clear and have small minnows living in them. There are also a few brooks (small rivers) that run underground. These brooks surface for a short time and then run back underground. You can actually hear the running water under your feet in certain places while walking around in the desert. There is strange aquatic life out in this desert that is peculiar only to this area.