Does the 1D MkIII have Custom Exposure Modes?

NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
edited June 2, 2009 in Cameras
A friend told me about their 40D (I think) that has three custom settings or presets where they can set ISO, f-stop, shutter, etc. and quickly switch between them. It sounded like he was saying he had modes M, TV, AV, ..., and C1, C2, C3 which could be customized. Am I missing something on the 1D MkIII?

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited June 1, 2009
    I believe you will find that the 1D/1Ds MKIII cameras have both the ability to "Register" basic settings and then "Apply" those saved settings as well as save virtually all settings out to a memory card which you can later retrieve and use for setting up, for instance, a rental or borrowed camera. This is potentially much more powerful than the custom "User Settings" of the 40D/50D cameras.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    I did see about saving (registering) just about every setting available through the Menu, and being able to apply those settings back, including the save/load from card feature. But from what I could tell, it referred only to Menu settings, not settings like shutter speed, ISO, and f-stop.

I've been in situations lately where I'm at an event where I have a corner set up for posed shots, with strobes, backdrop, etc., but I also roam around and take candids. Moving back and forth between these two environments requires changing just about every exposure control there is, and I'm looking for a quick, fool-proof way to do this. (Or, I should start carrying two bodies.)
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited June 2, 2009
    Nimai wrote:

I've been in situations lately where I'm at an event where I have a corner set up for posed shots, with strobes, backdrop, etc., but I also roam around and take candids. Moving back and forth between these two environments requires changing just about every exposure control there is, and I'm looking for a quick, fool-proof way to do this. (Or, I should start carrying two bodies.)

Two bodies is certainly a viable solution and a fair number of pros use multiple bodies/lenses, not just for this situation either.

You can also set your "Manual" mode settings for the "studio" environment and switch modes to say "Aperture Priority" with different settings, including some exposure automation. Then, when you return to the "Manual" mode aperture and shutter settings should be there waiting. ISO would be constant throughout.

I agree that it would be nice to have more "user presets" because I often have to shoot in a church interior (ceremony) and then proceed outdoors for some candids, and then right back indoors again for formals. It makes for a rapid transition from the different settings and it is easy to mess up.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums