urgent help needed on pending DSLR choice!

amadeusamadeus Registered Users Posts: 2,125 Major grins
edited June 8, 2009 in Cameras
Best Buy has deemed my D40 "non repairable" and I will get a replacement via my extended warranty. :D

But they no longer carry the 2 lens zoom kitted D40 so I get to "buy up"
and get more camera and pay the difference. :wink

I'm pretty much limited to what they carry and choices look to be

Nikon D90 vs Canon 50D.

Canon comes with a 28-135 Macro Zoom lens

Nikon comes with a 18-105 zoom lens.

The kid claims their both "macro" lens's.

Aren't macro lens's for shooting bugs eyes and stuff?

My needs are specific to shooting dirt bikes/MX so dust and rain resistant is a consideration.

They also carry the Nikon 5000.

Any input greatly appreciated.

Amadeus.

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2009
    amadeus wrote:
    Best Buy has deemed my D40 "non repairable" and I will get a replacement via my extended warranty. :D

But they no longer carry the 2 lens zoom kitted D40 so I get to "buy up"
    and get more camera and pay the difference. mwink.gif

Nikon D90 vs Canon 50D.

My needs are specific to shooting dirt bikes/MX so dust and rain resistant is a consideration.

Any input greatly appreciated.

Amadeus.

d40 WAS/IS pretty much bottom end of Nikon......if you want any reisitance to dust and moisture you're gonna need to move upto something like a D300....
    Are you not keeping the lenses you currently have for your D40???
    also for shooting races you're gonna need better than kit glass.....for less expensive but really great glass....I woud recommend Sigma.....for a semi long zoom the 70-200 is great (I use an older 70-210 f2.8 great glass)....and for those wider shots the 18-50 f2.8 or the 17-70 f2.8-4.....

Not all BB carry the same thing in store, however if you go shopping on line there are cameras that state online only (not carried in any store) and the rest is store optional I guess.....

But if you are serious then do not look at D5000 at all and i would only glance at the D90.......the Canon 50D might be okay also.......

I am scrutinizing these cameras also......I was ready to jump to OLY but I really need better low light / High ISO abilty than they have right now and GPS embedability (so it narrows it to Nikon for me it looks like) or for that matter I need better than Sony has also or I could go Sony and keep my KonicaMinolta accessories................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• LifeandLensLifeandLens Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited June 1, 2009
    amadeus wrote:

Nikon D90 vs Canon 50D.

Amadeus,

I have shot the D90. It is a very good consumer camera. As Art states, the consumer line of cameras will not be well sealed to protect from weather and dust. Any chance that could have been the problem with your D40? If so, trade up to the D300 or Canon equivalent.

If you are not keeping your D40 kit lenses, then you really could go Canon or Nikon and will be well served. I don't recommend the other camera brands as the quantity of accessories and cool add-ons for other brands is very limited.

I've also used the Nikon 18-105mm lens. I think the optics are outstanding. I don't think it is a macro (yes, macro is for bugs, close ups) It is a plastic lens mount so its durability would be limited if frequently removed and re-applied. I too doubt the 105mm focal length will meet your needs. One nice thing about the D90 is it will auto-focus even Nikons slightly older AF lenses.

You might REALLY like the video capability inherent in the D90. Give it a SHOT!

- Tom
    Tom Schauer
    Life and Lens Photography
    www.lifeandlens.com
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    If you are thinking about switching to Canon, make sure you are comfortable with the control layout first. Some folks prefer the Nikon menus and controls over the Canon.
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    If you decide on a Canon 50D and want to take advantage of the kit pricing on a lens, there are other choices. I bought mine with the 17-85, which is a reasonable quality lens and a very convenient length.

The only lenses that are really macro are macro lenses. If you want real macro (1:1 magnification), you either have to buy a macro lens or add something to a regular lens, like extension tubes.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2009
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    If you are thinking about switching to Canon, make sure you are comfortable with the control layout first. Some folks prefer the Nikon menus and controls over the Canon.

BB sells the D300. It's what I shoot. I recommend it over any of the other Nikon bodies you quoted. It is built like a tank. It's a completely sealed body so does well in the elements. And to DJ's point, really play with the D300 and the 50D. What sold me on the D300 were the ergonomics. I love that my D300 has a button or dial for everything. I can dial in just about anything by touch... my eye never leaves the view finding. At least with me, I did not find the same thing with the 50D.

Just something to think about. Both Canon and Nikon are top notch. I don't think you will regret either choice. The other brands are nice as well but you just won't find as many options available to you in the way of acessories, repairs, rentals and because there is a greater demand for Nikon and Canon, resale value will hold better if you ever need to sell your equip.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • amadeusamadeus Registered Users Posts: 2,125 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    well after days of research and soul search and quiet reflection on wether to buy the Nikon D90 or the Canon 50D today I walked into Best Buy and walked out with a Nikon D300. :D

many thanks to all who took the time to reply to my thread and looking forward to posting pics asap.

deal.gif
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    amadeus wrote:
    well after days of research and soul search and quiet reflection on wether to buy the Nikon D90 or the Canon 50D today I walked into Best Buy and walked out with a Nikon D300. :D

many thanks to all who took the time to reply to my thread and looking forward to posting pics asap.

deal.gif

You won't be dissapointed in your choice. I love my D300.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • wadesworldwadesworld Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    The D300 is a fantastic camera. Let's see some pics.
    Wade Williams
    Nikon D300, 18-135/3.5-5.6, 70-300/4.5-5.6, SB800
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    congrats, GREAT choice!
    //Leah
  • ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    I shoot 50D and just finished working with a guy that uses a D300... I feel his pictures were nicer as far as colour goes. Something I could tweak in picture styles, not sure if he made adjustments in camera for himself...

Very nice and capable camera enjoy...
  • 20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    Congrats, that's one heck of a step up for a body!
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.