Options

Where do you get sports trading cards printed??

beauzoebeauzoe Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited June 11, 2009 in Sports
I shoot many football and hockey teams mostly action shots...but now they are asking for individual pics...and also want trading cards. Smugmug doesn't offer this product for purchase. Does anyone know a good place to order these from?? Thanks...:D

Comments

• Options
    PenquinPenquin Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    trader card question
    I am fairly new to this forum and have received a lot of help from others. I am excited I can finally help someone else. I apologize for my story that comes with my recommendation. Several years ago I was taking action shots just like you and then the kids wanted individual shots and trader cards. I was fortunate that a company near my home town produced the items I wanted. I signed up with the company and had some what of a learning curve. I anxiously waited for the day of the shoot. The day of the shoot the company rep. I was working with called me up crying and told me that today was their last day,(she also lost her job). They had gone bankrupt. I had a scheduled shoot that night and no place to take my pictures. Lucky for me the team was my daughters. I then went on a nation wide search and telephoned every company I could find and asked them to send me samples of their trading cards. I knew that living in a somewhat small town and knowing all of my custmers I had to have great product at a fair price. I ended up choosing Group Photographers Association www.groupphotographers.com . They are located in Spokane, Washington. I do all of my job submitting and reorders on line. They allow you to do as little or as much work as you want. You can only do one shoot a year if you want. You can view all of their products on line and they will help you develop your envelope for picture day. I have been very happy with their service.
    Good Luck.
    beauzoe wrote:
    I shoot many football and hockey teams mostly action shots...but now they are asking for individual pics...and also want trading cards. Smugmug doesn't offer this product for purchase. Does anyone know a good place to order these from?? Thanks...:D
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2009
    :D:D This was my first post...and I'm so excited you replied!! I will look into this company..THANKS!!

What camera/lens are you using for your action shots?? I just got the 5D Mark II but I'm not sure about it yet...
    The white balance and ISO is great for shooting hockey but I'm getting some motion blurring around the hands or feet when I shoot High profile cheerleading (fastest sport to shoot)???

thanks again....
  • Options
    JermbubbaJermbubba Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
  • Options
    Rocketman766Rocketman766 Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    beauzoe wrote:
    :D:D This was my first post...and I'm so excited you replied!! I will look into this company..THANKS!!

What camera/lens are you using for your action shots?? I just got the 5D Mark II but I'm not sure about it yet...
    The white balance and ISO is great for shooting hockey but I'm getting some motion blurring around the hands or feet when I shoot High profile cheerleading (fastest sport to shoot)???

thanks again....

Sorry to jump in on a question that was directed at someone else, but I also shoot All-Star Cheerleading and I am looking to move up to a 1D Mark III or MK2 soon. Currently all my shots were taken with my Xsi which is not the best for cheerleading. My shots are not perfect, but I am working on it.
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2009
    trader cards
    I use a Canon 1D Mark lll with a a canon 70-200 2.8
    I take a lot of action shots of sports, but I havent taken any of cheerleading yet. I love my camera which I have not had that long. I moved up from a 10D which was a big jump. I find the high ISO on the Mark lll (lack of noise) and the fast focusing is very good for what I like to do. I recently received some help on this site on how to build a bracket to mount under my monopod for night time football photos. I built the thing and tonight the local H.S. athletic director and I are going to give it a test :D . I started off about 6 years ago doing just what you are doing (looking for a place to make trader cards), with just a camera and a flash. I started doing traders cards for just a few teams each year and all of a sudden I found in the past 6 months I purchased my new camera and 4 profoto studio lights, backdrops, stands, the list goes on and on. Before I bought my lights and other equipment I posted on this site and received a ton of help bowdown.gif . If you arent careful you will be setting up lights before you know it and photographing entire leagues eek7.gif .
    Let me know which way you decide to go and good luck.
    beauzoe wrote:

thanks again....
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2009
    I can see already that I am headed that way...but I am excited about it!! I got a great opportunity in the beginning of this year to photograph high profile cheerleading competitions...talk about jumping in and learning as much as you can in very little time...WOW...
    I thought hockey was fast!! So I now have experience with strobes and shooting directly to my laptop which is hooked up to a network and pictures are bought seconds after I take them!! I recently bought the 5D..and now I'm thinking I should have spent the extra money and bought the 1D..I originally had the 30D...which I now use as a backup...Do you think I could sell my 5D with not losing a ton of money??? I just bought it in Feb 2009...
    I also use the 70-200 2.8 lens which I love!!

Rocketman766....the 5d is very nice and I did get a lot of great shots of cheerleaders but I did experience some motion blurring of the hands and sometimes feet in some pictures (and I'm using strobes) the FPS on the 5D is 3.9 the 1D is 10 FPS...a big difference...
    Using the 5D for shooting hockey is great and I'm not sure about football yet?? Want to buy my 5D??? ha ha

Most of my football & hockey pics can be found on www.brucepics.com My Cheerleading pics are sold on site and some are posted on the company I work for's website.

PENGUIN.....let me know how your monopod contraption works....I haven't used my flash for football yet...I shoot younger kids during the day...I will need your advice about shooting entires leagues because I have already been asked to shoot this years football/cheerleading teams...approx. 500 kids or more!! YIKES....
  • Options
    ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    FPS of the camera will not help one little iota to stop motion. Only thing that will help there is shutter speed. Faster lens and/or higher ISO and/or larger apertures....

I have been shooting gymnastics this week with a 50D and a 70-200 /2.8 and while I love that combo i am dreaming of faster glass already. The 85 f/1.8 is very reasonably priced and 1 1/3 stop faster than the 2.8. The 135 /2 is a dream piece of glass for this stuff though, twice as fast as a 2.8 aperture and near perfect focal length for what I was doing earlier this week.
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2009
    I checked out your website and your pictures look great considering the camera you are using...I just noticed you are in Tonawanda...I am in OP...and I travel all over the USA shooting cheerleading...never local though...which would be nice... Do you shoot with strobes?? and print on site?? Do you shoot alone or have other photographers with you??
    My favorite thing to shoot is Football or hockey...but I have a new challange with cheerleading....it is really hard to shoot...almost like playing a video game!!! shooting at fast moving targets!! I just bought a 5D in Feb 2009 and now would like to sell it and upgrade to the 1D....let me know If your interested in buying my 5D???
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2009
    Yes I will have to play around a bit more..I can't change my shutter speed since I am using strobes and it has to be set to 250...the range of the 70-200 is nice to have.

I was thinking about the FPS more for my football & hockey shots...but maybe my 5D is just fine...and I need to learn & experiment more....I think I'm going to love this site...I already learned so much!! thanks!!!
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2009
    Shooting directly to your laptop??
    I am interested in learning how you shoot directly to your laptop. Are you tethered to the lap top??
    beauzoe wrote:
    I can see already that I am headed that way...but I am excited about it!! I got a great opportunity in the beginning of this year to photograph high profile cheerleading competitions...talk about jumping in and learning as much as you can in very little time...WOW...
    I thought hockey was fast!! So I now have experience with strobes and shooting directly to my laptop which is hooked up to a network and pictures are bought seconds after I take them!! I recently bought the 5D..and now I'm thinking I should have spent the extra money and bought the 1D..I originally had the 30D...which I now use as a backup...Do you think I could sell my 5D with not losing a ton of money??? I just bought it in Feb 2009...
    I also use the 70-200 2.8 lens which I love!!

Rocketman766....the 5d is very nice and I did get a lot of great shots of cheerleaders but I did experience some motion blurring of the hands and sometimes feet in some pictures (and I'm using strobes) the FPS on the 5D is 3.9 the 1D is 10 FPS...a big difference...
    Using the 5D for shooting hockey is great and I'm not sure about football yet?? Want to buy my 5D??? ha ha

Most of my football & hockey pics can be found on www.brucepics.com My Cheerleading pics are sold on site and some are posted on the company I work for's website.

PENGUIN.....let me know how your monopod contraption works....I haven't used my flash for football yet...I shoot younger kids during the day...I will need your advice about shooting entires leagues because I have already been asked to shoot this years football/cheerleading teams...approx. 500 kids or more!! YIKES....
  • Options
    Rocketman766Rocketman766 Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    beauzoe wrote:
    I checked out your website and your pictures look great considering the camera you are using...I just noticed you are in Tonawanda...I am in OP...and I travel all over the USA shooting cheerleading...never local though...which would be nice... Do you shoot with strobes?? and print on site?? Do you shoot alone or have other photographers with you??
    My favorite thing to shoot is Football or hockey...but I have a new challange with cheerleading....it is really hard to shoot...almost like playing a video game!!! shooting at fast moving targets!! I just bought a 5D in Feb 2009 and now would like to sell it and upgrade to the 1D....let me know If your interested in buying my 5D???

Howdy neighbor... Well, right now I shoot alone. I am just starting and have alot to work on. I do not use strobes since I "grew up" with my daughter in gymnastics and cheerleading where flashes were a no-no, so I shoot with ZERO flash or strobes. I am currently working on a workflow that will allow me to print onsite. Also sent you a PM.....
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2009
    Penquin wrote:
    I am interested in learning how you shoot directly to your laptop. Are you tethered to the lap top??

I am tethered right to my laptop. You can use either the software that comes with your canon camera or I use
    DSLR Remote Pro...it's fairly simple to use and nice to see the pictures instantly on the computer screen
  • Options
    Jeff_MiloJeff_Milo Registered Users Posts: 327 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2009
    beauzoe wrote:

I used MVPcards for my little league trading cards. They did an excellent job and are very affordable. Turned around my orders in 2 days.
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com