Girl on a swing

msfoxmsfox Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited June 2, 2009 in People
I shot this photo on Cape Cod. Original Digitial Rebel with Canon 10-22 lens at 10 mm. Some post processing in Lightroom. Comments welcome. Thanks.

552531388_9xizC-M.jpg

Comments

• rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    First, welcome to dgrin clap.gif

By your title, I'm assuming that the girl on the rope/swing is the main subject of the photo.

* your subject is not dominate enough in scope of the photo
    * you have a vertical subject, but a horizontal shot
    * your subject is centered

These things are of course MHO, yours may vary.

I would have liked to have seen your subject shot vertically & off-centered, composed in a way that forces her to be the main subject, that your eyes are immediately drawn to. As is, the shot looks like it's a landscape with a girl on a rope/swing as only a secondary component to the image.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work thumb.gif
    Randy
  • du8diedu8die Registered Users Posts: 358 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    I agree with Randy,

Also, it rarely works (though you see it all the time) to shoot down at kids. Squat down and get down to their level. That'll help your shot tremendously.

Keep in mind that these tips will help you get better with portrait photography (why most of us are here). If you are simply looking for a good snapshot that captures a memory, you did great!

Thanks for posting!
    d8
    H2 Photography - Blog - Facebook - Twitter

Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.

Why do people post their equipment in their sig. Isn't it kind of like bragging? That having been said...

Canon 40d Gripped (x2), Rebel (Original), Canon 70-200 f/2.8 USM L, Canon 300 f/4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 17-55 f/3.5-5.6, ThinkTank Airport TakeOff
  • msfoxmsfox Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited June 2, 2009
    Thanks for the comments, they are much appreciated. I tend to put my subjects at the center too much, I am trying to get over that. I will take a look at other vertical crops that might work, even though the camera is looking down.

What drew me to this photo was that I felt it said "fun" and hinted at motion.
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    msfox wrote:
    Thanks for the comments, they are much appreciated. I tend to put my subjects at the center too much, I am trying to get over that. I will take a look at other vertical crops that might work, even though the camera is looking down.

What drew me to this photo was that I felt it said "fun" and hinted at motion.

To your last statement...

Just a reminder:

It's ultimately what you, the artist, thinks about your photograph. Not what someone else thinks (unless they are your clients) about your work. No one else would know what you are trying to relay in your photo, so their (my) comments may be off base for your photographic intentions.

To me, the golden words are: "I like it" ~ "That's the way I wanted it to look"

Even if I don't like a photograph, if the artist does, I'm good with that. After all, your in control of that photograph!

If your happy, I'm happy thumb.gif
    Randy
  • msfoxmsfox Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited June 2, 2009
    Randy, thanks for expressing that sentiment. Very thoughtful of you. While I do like the photo somewhat, I certainly don't mind constructive comments (as requested) like those left here from people with a better eye than me. I am looking forward to participating in more discussions here.