#27 posibilities (CnC please)...

JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
edited June 3, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Ok thought of a couple ideas here. Black and white photos...I do not pp these to be b/w. They are shot directly from the camera set to b/w. With that said...I realized that in B/W images you cannot rely on color as part of the composition or making things interesting. So subjects, light and positions have to take center stage. C and C is always appreciated. Let me know what you think of these images and if they evoke any kind of emotion in you...good or bad.

1. ANTZ...never just one.....
552520921_NqRmz-L-1.jpg

EDIT: I am thinking on reshooting singled out with a white background reflection verses the shiney aluminum.
2. Singled Out....
552539772_PRnBy-L.jpg

3. FOUND: Lost Marbles....
552520930_3HbNF-L-2.jpg

Comments

• sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    #3 has some awesome texture going on. The composition is really nice too.
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    Ohhh wow Jag.. I love the ant.. and the way you have the upper side blurred and the lower in sharp focus and look at those hairs..

However, I got the immediate wow feeling with the lost marbles #3... that is awesome.. but here is my take on it..

With black and white conversions, it seems like simplicity rules.. and if the shot does get some what busy, then the artists makes sure that each element carefully falls into a gray or white or black zone.. this keeps the composition clean and easy on the eyes and the contrast dominant.. and like you said yourself, the subject is taking center stage... so with the marbles.. I love love love them... and absolutely favor the perspective you shot them at.. however all of the little glares on the marbles, coupled with the glare and reflections in the water may prove to make it too busy for a nice clean B & W that packs an emotional punch..

so.. I am sure you can still do something with the marbles, you mentioned a different backdrop? perhaps that would work better?

well there you are.. I gave you my best opinion..

hope that helps.. and your off to a great start, making the competition tough already, Jag style...thumb.gif

Kat
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    the ant is very cool
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited June 2, 2009
    Thanks Sher, kat, pyro for the input. I am going to try and get around to another shooting day sometime this week.
  • billtaichibilltaichi Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    I would like to see the marbles with more shadow. I am thinking the isolated marble with some shadowing could have a real punch to it. I agree with Katmitchell that the background is a little busy for a B&W photo, but I like the direction you are taking.
    Remember wherever you go, there you are.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    I like the ant a lot. Much stronger that the others. The marbles are cool but the glare kind of bothers me. If you do go with the marbles, I like the comp on #2 the best.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site