Grand Canyon Sunsets

BeaKeRBeaKeR Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
edited June 2, 2009 in Landscapes
Hey all,
Haven't been around DGrin for a while, but I'm trying to find the time. The average quality here is way higher than a lot of the other forums out there - I'm hoping some of that will rub off. :)

Anyway, two different sunsets from the Grand Canyon. C&C always greatly appreciated.

551440538_SEixb-M.jpg

501610288_MxWkZ-M.jpg

Comments

• Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,467 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    I like them both, but I prefer the second one. :D Do you have a close up of the tree from the first photo? thumb.gif
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    Nicely done! That FG tree in the first shot really stands out with the side lighting.
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • BeaKeRBeaKeR Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    I like them both, but I prefer the second one. :D Do you have a close up of the tree from the first photo? thumb.gif

Thanks! No, I don't have a closeup of that tree. Well, I guess I could crop it out of that photo.
  • Allan FGAllan FG Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    I like the first one very dramatic lighting.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    Hey Beaker, good to see you again :D

I think we've already rubbed off on you: the second shot is just amazing. Taking the trees, the river, the sky, everything out of context just really sets off the texture and the color. Despite not having the context, we still know what/where it is and that's fantastic thumb.gif
  • NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    I like them both for different reasons. The first image has some nice color and a detail feature with the canyon basically as a backdrop. Too many people overlook the details in such locations due to the grandeur. If critique is requisite, I'd say maybe including the entire tree down to the roots would help.

The second shot is the opposite, it's all about the canyon even eliminating the sky as a relevant aspect of the image. Again too many people feel compelled to make the sky the focus of sunrise/sunset images and miss some beautiful subject matter in the process. For the GC in particular, I'd say the majority of the images I've seen that are truly compelling do not include the skyline as a significant aspect of the composition.

Nice job on both images thumb.gif
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
    edited June 2, 2009
    Thanks again everyone for the good feedback.

articblooms, in retrospect I think you're right about including the tree roots. Unfortunately I cropped them out in camera. Next time, I guess.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited June 2, 2009
    Beautiful! Love the contrast in the first.

Al...where's spot?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited June 2, 2009
    ian408 wrote:
    Beautiful! Love the contrast in the first.
    Thanks!
    ian408 wrote:
    Al...where's spot?
    Is that like Where's Waldo? :)