What the heck have I been doing? (Caribbean images.)

Kory LidstromKory Lidstrom Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
edited June 2, 2009 in Landscapes
(Yeah, I know these aren't strictly landscapes, but I'm posting them here because this is where I usually post.)

Wow, it's been a crazy winter! In the last six months or so, I have:

Destroyed two point-and-shoot cameras
Had two Canon 5D's bite the dust on me
Ruined my Canon 24-105mm f/4 L lens
Wrecked my 80GB iPod
Lost my cell phone along with my SIM card and all my numbers
Lost my silver hook bracelet (very precious)
Cracked two teeth
Fractured and dislocated my left hip requiring two surgeries and 14 days in the hospital

...and all this happened while I was in the Caribbean! But, all of that notwithstanding, I sill had an AWESOME winter there. :D (If you wanna know more about my comic misadventures, check out the last few entries on my photoblog.)

Anywho, I still managed to get some shooting done. Due to my injury, my time was cut short and I wasn't able to shoot as much as I had planned. Therefore, I only have three images to show. But, I consider these to be among my best work from my time there.

#1 Streetlight (EXIF can be found HERE.)

Kory_20090131_0107Master.jpg

This was taken near the beach of the El Condado region of San Juan, Puerto Rico. It was a very surreal spot with the solo light and two chairs, which is what drew me to it. I considered giving it a B&W treatment, which looked pretty good. However, too much was lost and I stayed with color.

#2 Magic Tree (EXIF can be found HERE.)

Kory_20090224_0217Master.jpg

I found this incredible tree in the rainforest on St. Croix in the US Virgin Islands. Its trunk had beautiful streaks of bright flourescent colors -- something I hadn't seen before. The tree was also crawling with lizards. I composed this shot so that there were five equal-sized vertical bands of color across the length of the image, making sure that the brightest band was in sharp focus to draw further attention to it. I then waited for a lizard to crawl over the brightest band and pressed the shutter. It took a while, but it was worth the wait.

A polarizer was used to further enhance the colors. I finished with a bit of slight dodging and burning and a touch of Orton effect.

#3 Lost In Thought (EXIF can be found HERE.)

Kory_20090324_0463Master.jpg

This was taken at Creque Dam in the rainforest on St. Croix in the US Virgin Islands. Creque Dam is a very unique place -- a body of water in an unusual place on an island that has virtually no bodies of freshwater. It's very calm and peaceful. With this image, I was trying to capture that tranquility in a classic, summery "sittin' on the dock"-type photo.

I waited until well after sunset for the clouds to light up. When the time was right, I used a three-stop hard GND filter to hold back the sky and took the picture. I did all this while crouching on the narrow edge of the top of the dam with my back towards the dropoff. One careless step backward and I would've fallen a good 40 or 50 feet onto the rocky floor. I was very methodical and deliberate with all of my movements. No room for complacency in a place like this!
I see the world through a 3:2 rectangle.

My site:Fine Image Photography

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    Wow thanks for sharing your journey with us! I hate to say this but your X-ray is at awesome thing to have a copy of and a small part of me is jealous that you have something so cool. lol3.gif Still, I hope that you're OK now and with all of the good and bad on your trip, what a great adventure it was. :D

I absolutely love the last image and you did a great job on all three. The ones in your blog, too, are fantastic! They were totally worth the wait thumb.gif
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    Yes, I agree...the 3rd shot is fantastic! I remember them from FM and it's great to see 'em here too.
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com