First dragonfly of the year

Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
edited June 13, 2009 in Holy Macro
Got my first dragonfly of the year in the garden yesterday and it was a broad bodied chaser, haven't had one of these around for a few years. All shots natural strong sunlight/fill flash.

brian v.

3587875815_9ff0ede9da_o.jpg

3587875829_5e30a5b264_o.jpg

3587875843_a003b70ce0_o.jpg

3588692992_f39cacd233_o.jpg

3588692994_b05f5ce819_o.jpg

3588693004_e635877b35_o.jpg

3588693028_4259713eba_o.jpg

Comments

• Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    Very nice, Brian! My favourites are #s 2, 3, & 4. It amazes me that you get such consistently fabulous results; you can even see (#2) that the darned thing forgot to shave this morning; outstanding!

Thanks for showing -

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    Wil Davis wrote:
    Very nice, Brian! My favourites are #s 2, 3, & 4. It amazes me that you get such consistently fabulous results; you can even see (#2) that the darned thing forgot to shave this morning; outstanding!

Thanks for showing -

- Wil

Thanks Wil - I did take a lot of shots of this DF as I hadn't seen this species for a few years.
    Brian V.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    Got my first dragonfly of the year in the garden yesterday and it was a broad bodied chaser, haven't had one of these around for a few years. All shots natural strong sunlight/fill flash.

brian v.

I've not seen one of these before Brian,
    the body width is like double that of other species of Dragonflies.

Sort of looks abnormal to see such a wide body on a dragonfly.
    Yet the wing span does not look like it would compensate for the extra weight.

It's odd looking .... thanks for sharing Brian clap.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited June 7, 2009
    Thanks for the comments Skippy- agree doesn't look quite as elegant as many other dragons but I was very happy to see it :D
    Brian V.
  • MadisonPhotographyMadisonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited June 7, 2009
    Great shots
    I have fishing a lot lately and noticed the dragonflys are out....

I'd love to know more about your setup....

Nick
    edited June 7, 2009
    I have fishing a lot lately and noticed the dragonflys are out....

I'd love to know more about your setup....

Nick
    Nick - was using a 350D/sigma 105/430Ex flash rig on LHS in shot below.
    You don't really need a macro lens for DF shots- longer telephotos can be used with either a closeup diopter or some ext tubes. Was using a bean pole for stabilistion
    Brian v.

1031826627_cbb12d26d5_o.jpg
  • MadisonPhotographyMadisonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited June 7, 2009
    Thanks
    I love that setup, especially the duct tape.....I have a Canon 100 macro and have taken some okay shots but really want to be able to do the "bug eyes" and "fly legs" shots....is the ring flash a must?
    edited June 8, 2009
    I love that setup, especially the duct tape.....I have a Canon 100 macro and have taken some okay shots but really want to be able to do the "bug eyes" and "fly legs" shots....is the ring flash a must?
    A flash is fairly essential for getting higher magnification detail to show up on at least live insects, but as you can see I just use normal flash guns on a bracket with a DIY difffuser. Ring flashes obviusly have the light in the right place but it's much harder to diffuse well.
    Brian V.
  • vegasdesertfoxvegasdesertfox Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    Hey LV, could you please, throw me some more tidbits on your flash setup and the DIY diffuser? Out here in the land where the sun always shines, we don't ever get a lot of bugs but I really like your set-up. Next spring I'll be ready thanks in advance!
    Dusty Trails Between Weather Fronts, VDF
    Got Tent Will Camp(WJ)
    http://vegasdesertfox.smumug.com
    edited June 8, 2009
    Hey LV, could you please, throw me some more tidbits on your flash setup and the DIY diffuser? Out here in the land where the sun always shines, we don't ever get a lot of bugs but I really like your set-up. Next spring I'll be ready thanks in advance!

Info on the diffuser here http://www.flickr.com/groups/macroviewers/discuss/72157594312315664/

Flash is just bracket mounted using an off camera cord. I use 430Ex flash guns on both my rigs now and normally shoot in ETTL mode. The bracket allows me to keep the diffuser near the end of the lens as the lens extends by rotating the ballhead and straightening the flash. The brackets are also a bit DIY but the Hakuba LH-1 ballhead bracket (Ebay) is similar but generally advise the replacement of the ballhead on that with a larger cheapo generic one with a 1/4" male thread fitting.

Brian v.
  • amg2833amg2833 Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    The fourth and last ones are my favorite.

Great to get a look at your gear, Lord V. Any insight is tons of help.
    ANTHONY :thumb
    [AMG]photos

[Yashica Lynx 14E | Canon 30D | Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 | 540ez | Cactus V4s]

• KellyCKellyC Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    Nice pics, my wife loves dragonflies, but I can never seem to get the to 'pose' for me.

Kelly
    edited June 13, 2009
    Thanks for the comments Kelly :)

I actually purposely have some canes around the garden for them to perch on.
    Brian V.