Lake Louise Spring Thaw

dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
edited June 2, 2009 in Landscapes

Comments

• Kory LidstromKory Lidstrom Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    This is a decent comp, but the light is overpowering the image.

Since this was taken in the middle of the day, the dynamic range is too great for one exposure. The result is that the cloud highlights ended up being blown out. Combining two exposures would greatly help to eliminate this. Either that, or waiting and shooting during the magic hours.

Secondly, a lens hood would eliminate the lens flare that is in the upper corners of the image.

What was the temp there? Looks cold. Brrrrr.
    I see the world through a 3:2 rectangle.

My site:Fine Image Photography
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    NugBlazer wrote:
    This is a decent comp, but the light is overpowering the image.

Since this was taken in the middle of the day, the dynamic range is too great for one exposure. The result is that the cloud highlights ended up being blown out. Combining two exposures would greatly help to eliminate this. Either that, or waiting and shooting during the magic hours.

Secondly, a lens hood would eliminate the lens flare that is in the upper corners of the image.

What was the temp there? Looks cold. Brrrrr.

Thanks for your feedback. thumb.gif This is a 3 exposure HDR. I'll try re-processing. The temp was about 65 F. Delightful.

Dan:D
  • AbiciriderbackAbiciriderback Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    Dan

Nice comp but I agree a manual blend would have been better 1 exposure for the sky another for the foreground. Did you use a polarizer or ND/GND filter?. Also don't care for the soft look of the trees on the right. The lens flare doesn't bother me that much but sure is a lot of sensor dust everywhere. Looks like you had a wonderful time in an awesome place with great weather

Ray Still
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    Dan, I think that this site has great potential for sure. What I like most are the layers: rocks, water, ice, then mountains, trees, everything leading down that valley. thumb.gif

I agree the light is a bit harsh, as this looks to be in the middle of the day. We all have enough experience to know that sometimes your travel schedule doesn't comply with the sweet light but I bet this scene would be amped up ten notches at sunrise or sunset :D
    edited June 2, 2009
    Dan

Nice comp but I agree a manual blend would have been better 1 exposure for the sky another for the foreground. Did you use a polarizer or ND/GND filter?. Also don't care for the soft look of the trees on the right. The lens flare doesn't bother me that much but sure is a lot of sensor dust everywhere. Looks like you had a wonderful time in an awesome place with great weather

Ray Still

Funny, you should mention that. I just sent for a sensor cleaning kit.

I did not use a gnd on this particular shot, but I did on some others that were similar. I guess the bottom line is to wait for good light, but I was unable to do so for this shot.

Thanks Ray. :D
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    Nice composition with some wonderful clouds!
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    Nice composition on this image, Dan. I agree with prior comments that the lighting simply doesn't work. Essentially backlit clouds and mountains which can be compelling in moring/evening light but just doesn't work mid-day. One of my biggest frustrations as a photographer when traveling. Sometimes you're just there when you're there... ne_nau.gif Whatya gonna do, not take a picture ??? eek7.gif
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
    edited June 2, 2009
    Of course you are all right. I simply shot this at a bad time of day. Here is another PP attempt:

553389912_cktfp-XL.jpg