Help from seasoned Nikon owners for a possible newb

midnight ridermidnight rider Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 122 Major grins
edited June 4, 2009 in Cameras
So I am on the verge of taking the leap over the Nikon and I have a few questions.
1. What is with the several different styles of lenses.
2. If I get a D700 do I need to worry about buying any style or better yet not buying any different style?
3. It would seem from my reading that any Nikon Lens ever made will work on the New Nikon bodies? Please correct this if I am wrong.
4. What are you thoughts on the Nikon D700 in terms of responsiveness?
I will be coming from a 1D mk2 and I really liked the speed of that camera. I know that the d700 can get 8FPS with the optional accessories but what about lag time?
Thanks to all that respond.
If you care more about the gear you use that the pictures you take, you have a problem:D

Comments

• manboumanbou Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    So I am on the verge of taking the leap over the Nikon and I have a few questions.
    1. What is with the several different styles of lenses.
    2. If I get a D700 do I need to worry about buying any style or better yet not buying any different style?
    3. It would seem from my reading that any Nikon Lens ever made will work on the New Nikon bodies? Please correct this if I am wrong.
    4. What are you thoughts on the Nikon D700 in terms of responsiveness?
    I will be coming from a 1D mk2 and I really liked the speed of that camera. I know that the d700 can get 8FPS with the optional accessories but what about lag time?
    Thanks to all that respond.

What do you mean by "style" of lenses? Are you talking about focal length, speed (maximum aperture), build quality (pro vs. consumer), DX vs. FX, or something else? headscratch.gif
    "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Photography is often finding something cool and taking a picture of it."[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] -- Ken Rockwell[/FONT]
  • midnight ridermidnight rider Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 122 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    Sorry for not being more specific. Some of the Nikon lenses have the Aperture ring on the rear of the lens and some do not.
    I heard that some have AF motors in the lens and some have to be gear driven? Why so many different variables?
    If you care more about the gear you use that the pictures you take, you have a problem:D
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    For the most part, any Nikkor lens made after 1977 can be used.
    Steve

Website
  • Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    You should know that although DX lenses can be used on the D700, they will give you a smaller image size since they are made for Crop sensors and therefore only focus on the central region of the sensor. I believe it takes you from a 12MP image to a 5MP image.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    You should steer clear from the DX lenses if you purchase the D700, D3, or D3X. These are full frame bodies (FX). The DX lenses were designed specifically for the cropped sensors of the other Nikon DSLR bodies (DX).

The DX lenses will mount on your D700, but the limited coverage on the sensor would be a waste of time. Don't limit yourself with those lenses.

Responsiveness on the D700 is excellent. No noticeable shutter lag. The focusing is fast, but not quite up to D3 standards. The FPS is good and even better with the grip.
  • midnight ridermidnight rider Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 122 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    Thanks to all who have responded. When I first started looking at Nikon lenses I got very confused because it seemed a little intense but now that I am learning more about then I can start to put it into my own language.
    It just seems that the D lenses are like the Canon lenses with the micro motor just that Nikon uses a screw drive instead of physically placing the motor in the lens. The Silent wave system is like the Canon Ring USM and is fast and very quiet.
    How loud are the screw drive lenses. The 50mm f/1.4 was one of my favs on the Canon so I was thinking about getting one as my first Nikon Lens. However I have been reading and it seems like the AF is more reliable on the 50mm f/1.4D than on the 50mm f/1.4G. However the last thing I really want is a loud lens having been spoiled by the USM versions.
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    The 50mm 1.4D is a superb lens. I cannot compare the silence to the Canon version as I have never used that version, but it is as quiet as any Nikkor lens I have ever used. Incredibly fast focusing and razor sharp when you get to 2.8
    Steve

Website
  • rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    I bought the D700 and grip and was impressed with the speed boost. You can see it in action here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JUsAZodYVc

And do not buy DX lenses or else you get this

517302993_pR2Ly-M.jpg
    edited June 3, 2009
    I bought the D700 and grip and was impressed with the speed boost. You can see it in action here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JUsAZodYVc

And do not buy DX lenses or else you get this

Thanks for the link. To be honest I have probably watched near 100 youtube vids on the camera at this point. Although to be honest I would be coming from a 1D mkII so the speed may seem a little slow to me.
    I am reading a lot of contradicting reviews on the grip and the 8 FPS. Did you have to buy the cap and the other battery to get the 8 FPS? I saw a video and the guy said the 8 FPS was with the grip and AA batteries?
  • rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    Thanks for the link. To be honest I have probably watched near 100 youtube vids on the camera at this point. Although to be honest I would be coming from a 1D mkII so the speed may seem a little slow to me.
    I am reading a lot of contradicting reviews on the grip and the 8 FPS. Did you have to buy the cap and the other battery to get the 8 FPS? I saw a video and the guy said the 8 FPS was with the grip and AA batteries?

I originally bought AA Duracells and it did not work. I then bought some rechargeable NiMH batteries and it has been perfect ever since. Battery life is awesome too.

As someone who switched from Canon to Nikon I am totally satisfied. I never knew what I was missing in terms of controls and low light performance, plus the customizations and options are amazing. I highly recommend the D700.
    edited June 3, 2009
    I originally bought AA Duracells and it did not work. I then bought some rechargeable NiMH batteries and it has been perfect ever since. Battery life is awesome too.

As someone who switched from Canon to Nikon I am totally satisfied. I never knew what I was missing in terms of controls and low light performance, plus the customizations and options are amazing. I highly recommend the D700.
    Thanks, I was wondering if all the extras were necessary to get this camera up to speed. It is good to know that I would be able to save some money somewhere. I already have a ton of NiMh rechargeable batts from my flash so I would be set.
  • Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2009
    Seymore wrote:
    The quietest 50/1.4 is the MF AIS version... mwink.gif
    And it's FF!!! thumb.gif

And you're in luck, because I have one for sale! PM if interested...

Sorry, couldn't resist. But I am serious...
    edited June 4, 2009
    A proud New Papawings.gif
    At first I was almost heart broken. I unpacked everything and racked the 50mm. I eagerly went to take a shot and it would not fire. The AF worked but no click. So I referred to my new friend ( AKA the manual) and saw that there was a function that had to be turned on ( f9) to enable me to use a lens with an ap ring. Close call. But I changed the setting and all is well.

554746833_3HLc6-L.jpg

Now for a question ( and yes I did look in the manual) How do I get live view to work? I set the dial to LV and pressed the shutter release like it said but I got nada. I will more than likely never use it but I just like to make sure everything is in perfect working order when I get a new toy.
    Nevermind I do not think it can work with the D lens. Please correct me if I am wrong.
  • manboumanbou Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2009
    At first I was almost heart broken. I unpacked everything and racked the 50mm. I eagerly went to take a shot and it would not fire. The AF worked but no click. So I referred to my new friend ( AKA the manual) and saw that there was a function that had to be turned on ( f9) to enable me to use a lens with an ap ring. Close call. But I changed the setting and all is well.
    I think you're wrong about the purpose of the f9 function. Its purpose is to let you adjust aperture by turning the aperture ring on lenses that have one.

To use your 50mm normally on your D700 (i.e, adjusting aperture with the camera's command dial, not by twisting the lens' aperture ring), you want the lens' aperture ring set to its minimum aperture, which for your lens is f/16. Then it should work normally, regardless of what you do or don't do with f9.

In the photo, your lens' aperture ring appears to be set to f/1.4, the biggest aperture. You need to crank that down to f/16, and then you should be able to control aperture with the command dial.

If I'm wrong about this, someone please set me straight. But I'm pretty sure that's how it works.
    "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Photography is often finding something cool and taking a picture of it."[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] -- Ken Rockwell[/FONT]
    edited June 4, 2009
    manbou wrote:
    I think you're wrong about the purpose of the f9 function. Its purpose is to let you adjust aperture by turning the aperture ring on lenses that have one.

To use your 50mm normally on your D700 (i.e, adjusting aperture with the camera's command dial, not by twisting the lens' aperture ring), you want the lens' aperture ring set to its minimum aperture, which for your lens is f/16. Then it should work normally, regardless of what you do or don't do with f9.

In the photo, your lens' aperture ring appears to be set to f/1.4, the biggest aperture. You need to crank that down to f/16, and then you should be able to control aperture with the command dial.

If I'm wrong about this, someone please set me straight. But I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

You are awesome. Thanks
    You just solved both of my issues with one post. I set the lens to the min aperture ( f/16) to see what it did. Not only can I use the dial to set me lens aperture but I can also now use live view mode. Sincerely Thank youclap.gif