Nothing like a good little bribe...

heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
edited June 5, 2009 in People
A couple of weeks ago I found the worlds greatest incentive for my daughter: dresses. She loves to wear them every single day and has a ton of them. I made a rule that she could wear them all she wanted if her room was clean, and it has worked miracles! It is always tidy now!

I thought I would try it out for photos this morning. Her room was already clean so that was good, but I held the prize before her- if I let her wear one of her extra nice dresses, she would let me take a few photos of her outside in them. Well it worked smashingly and it bought me about 15 minutes to work with. Not bad really.

It bought me:
1. A cute little open smile

553177833_DfqLr-L.jpg

2. A shot of her thinking pose. She does this all the time when ever she has options to consider. i.e... which pair of shoes match which outfit. She always says "hmmmm" while making this face.
553175698_JfvCV-M.jpg

3. And a chance to show off bookeh...553179556_o2agz-M.jpg

4. And she had to have one with her favorite playmate, Lucy. (The stroller was definately her choice)

553169125_bdLc2-M.jpg

Don't you love it how other people pay us to take their photo, and your kids sort of do the opposite?

C & C appreciated...

Comments

• VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    Very NICE!! And what a lovely young lady she is. I love them all, the stroller kinda bugs me but you are a wonderful Mom to let her be creative in her own way!!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • blaser321blaser321 Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    These bribes might get expansive I know have a 17 and a 19 year old daughters It's worth it
    I like 1 & 3 the best
    5D mark II, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8 L IS
    EF 2.0x II extender BG-E6
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    VayCayMom wrote:
    Very NICE!! And what a lovely young lady she is. I love them all, the stroller kinda bugs me but you are a wonderful Mom to let her be creative in her own way!!

Thanks! She loves that darn stroller. She is about the cutest 6 year old on the planet.
    edited June 3, 2009
    blaser321 wrote:
    These bribes might get expansive I know have a 17 and a 19 year old daughters It's worth it
    I like 1 & 3 the best

Tell me about it... my 8 year old has been asking for a laptop for the last 6 months... (haha they start early)
    Thanks!
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    Adorable shotsbowdown.gif

They grow up so fast.

Take Care,
    Chuck
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    I absolutely love #3thumb.gifbow - that is just so ... Oh, I don't know the words!
  • rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    Great shots of your precious little girl, I wish my seven yr old loved to wear dress but that is not one of here favorite clothing items. ne_nau.gif

All the shots are great but I think the third one is my favorite. the light and background are great and love the expression.
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires
  • mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    Oh boy... you got yourself a full-on girlie girl there! Nice shots Heather. As you are doing family pics, don't forget that your daughter will want some of you with her. As photographers we all tend to stay on the other side of the camera, but as important and meaningful as these pics are to you, some of you and her together will be just as important to her. [/preacher mode]

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    mmmatt wrote:
    Oh boy... you got yourself a full-on girlie girl there! Nice shots Heather. As you are doing family pics, don't forget that your daughter will want some of you with her. As photographers we all tend to stay on the other side of the camera, but as important and meaningful as these pics are to you, some of you and her together will be just as important to her. [/preacher mode]

Matt

You're not kidding - I want some of my family together so badly, but we never seem to get any!!

Heather, she is SOOoooOOOOOOO adorable! Man, I wish I'd thought of using dresses as a bribe - A is too old for that now, but there was a time. Hmm - what can you offer an 11 year old to keep her room clean??!!?? eek7.gifD

I absolutely love #2 - #3 is a gorgeous portrait, but I bet #2 is the one you'll look back on and think, "Yep - that was her age 6!".
    edited June 3, 2009
    Adorable shotsbowdown.gif

They grow up so fast.

Take Care,
    Chuck
    It is so true! I can't believe that she is so big.
    Thanks Chuck-
    edited June 3, 2009
    I absolutely love #3thumb.gifbow - that is just so ... Oh, I don't know the words!

I am surprised all of you don't dig me on the flash on that one. I had it up a bit hotter than I was plannin' but it still is a fun shot. (Of course with her for a subject, what can you do to screw it up?!- a mom's prejudice, I guess. iloveyou.gif )
    edited June 3, 2009
    rhondavid wrote:
    Great shots of your precious little girl, I wish my seven yr old loved to wear dress but that is not one of here favorite clothing items. ne_nau.gif

All the shots are great but I think the third one is my favorite. the light and background are great and love the expression.

I don't know how I got girls that love dresses- especially since when I was little I was not a big fan. Maybe I just lucked out? Who knows, but I doubt it will last through Highschool.
    edited June 3, 2009
    mmmatt wrote:

Matt

Love your funny little preacher mode coding. that made me laugh out loud!

Thanks for the reminder.. I think perhaps I need to find a local photographer to do some family photos for us. Maybe a trade? Hmmmm Sounds like a great plan! (Though I confess it would FREAK me out to shoot for another photographer.. ha ha) Or I could just finally get a remote shutter release for the 5D and do them myself.
    Thanks for the reminder Matt iloveyou.gif
    edited June 3, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    You're not kidding - I want some of my family together so badly, but we never seem to get any!!

Heather, she is SOOoooOOOOOOO adorable! Man, I wish I'd thought of using dresses as a bribe - A is too old for that now, but there was a time. Hmm - what can you offer an 11 year old to keep her room clean??!!?? eek7.gifD

I absolutely love #2 - #3 is a gorgeous portrait, but I bet #2 is the one you'll look back on and think, "Yep - that was her age 6!".

My older kids are not nearly so easily bought... Though "friends over" is a big one. Even then my 10 year old has to keep his door closed at ALL times to help me with my sanity. (It only MOSTLY worksrolleyes1.gif ) I think you are right about #2... It is definately "her".
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    I am surprised all of you don't dig me on the flash on that one. I had it up a bit hotter than I was plannin' but it still is a fun shot. (Of course with her for a subject, what can you do to screw it up?!- a mom's prejudice, I guess. iloveyou.gif )
    The monitor I'm on right now tends to show things a bit brighter than they really are and I didn't notice it being too hot. Even going back to it again, I think the flash is well within aesthetic bounds - it's a sweet shot!
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    2,3,and 4 for me.....and especially 3.

Im not a fan of crossed arms in portraits.....usually....but wonder what 3 might look like with crossed arms?

FWIW....laptops are cheaper than cars.

But it wont be that long in the grand scheme of things.:D
  • GemGemGemGem Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    These are great! I love #3 and 4. and yea.. my kids run away when they see me with the camera. Thank goodness my two year old doesn't mind... yet!
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    I'm lovin the 3rd one!. How grown up she looks! Keep her little as long as you can! my baby girl turns 20 next month....
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!