DSS 27 - Latest Attempt

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited June 3, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
OK... so still haven't had the opportunity to venture someplace to shoot so I grabbed another shot from the bachyard. I took the advice from the other thread I started and shot a white flower. This is a fortnight lilly.

Let me know what you think...

553534575_34WeM-XL.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited June 3, 2009
    oh that is soo lovely! White works much much better! My only suggestion would to be play with the crop a little and see if you can come up with a different perspective.....like if your going to use the negative space on the right...maybe crop in tight on the left and see if 3/4 of the flower works....like zooming in if its a large file. Just to experiment. But I so like this one better than all the others you posted!thumb.gifthumb.gif
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    I would like to see more details and textures on the flower...
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    I like this one much better than your other attempts. thumb.gif Your conversion looks really good. But like Tatiana, I would like to see some more detail in the flower. You can try experimenting with an unsharp mask: try a setting of 20/50/0 and see if you like the result. mwink.gif
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    Great feedback... definitely stuff I can work on. I took a couple more shots this morning of this flower which I will proces and post later this afternoon; the shot I was working with here was hand held so couldn't pull the detail needed due to a bit of blur. The new shots were all from a tripod.

However, here is a shot I got of my youngest male pug Meatball chewing on his favorite toy, which he is completely obsessed with. Two conversion treatments. I kind of like the first one better. I call this "1-dog, 1-bone".

Yes? No? Maybe? Stick with the flower?

553772299_p7MWk-XL.jpg

553775022_rDnDQ-XL.jpg

My Smug Site
  • bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    Definitely white flowers. I like this better than the first set you posted on the other thread. I agree though...see if you can bring out some more detail.

Love the pug shot. I like the first one better as well. His coat is better exposed and not blown out. thumb.gif
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    OK... Updates to white flowers based on your suggestions
    I know I said I wouldn't have time to work on the new shots till this afternoon but I just couldn't help myself. I was late to work but at least I got my priorities straight. :D

So this is the same flower as in my first post, but a reshoot. I used a tripod this time to get some sharp detail. I pretty much did the B&W conversion identicle to the first one, but I sharpened it a bit more in LR2. I also gave it a bit of a bump in the Clarity slider to up the local contrast. Hopefully this has brought the detail out that you all were asking for. I made a few different crops. I have a favorite but I want to hear what you guys think. Please ignore the artifacts in the BG; I will take care of those later.

553790051_K5BBh-L.jpg

553790912_5xcj5-L.jpg

553790398_KQtkt-L.jpg

553791344_vKWrS-L.jpg

My Smug Site
  • WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    I like #4 best. I might like it even better a little closer.
  • lightdrunklightdrunk Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    Love the dog. I like the flower, too, but I agree with others that you could bring out the details in the petals.
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    Hey Cuban..

I am "really" liking #4.... you are getting there bro... You are starting to nail the composition in this one...

I have to say it is beautiful and boasts a powerful presence too..

Looks like the sharpness is coming along to give more detail..

The pug is totally cute, and it is a great black and white, but does not have the impact of the flower.

Kat
  • bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    I agree with Kat. You're definitely getting there. I too like #4. Composition thumb.gif I hate to sound like Christopher Walken in the SNL skit, but "I need more cowbell!" in terms of sharpness (just a little bit more).:D