Pay For Your Sins!

catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
edited June 3, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
1. I stand up before you all and confess. I kept MEANING to have a good back-up plan in place.

2. I took an iffy drive to Catalina Island and then the horse show this weekend to download photos that my poor itty bitty 30G ibook G4 harddrive could not handle (and no, the G4 doesn't have enough power for portable USB drives).

3. I kept meaning to move those Catalina photos.

4. Just as well, as the T drive I had? DED

5. Oh, and the Catalina drive? DEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

:cry:cry:cry:cry (we really need a BAWLING smiley).

okay okay

5b. it's not dead-dead but it won't spin up to speed so I'm hoping I can get it going (success rate has been dropping) ONE LAST TIME. Except I haven't any harddrive with enough space for those photos.

6. I quit my job

7. severence has NOT YET PAID OUT

8. recent thunderstorms likely fried this, oh AND THE MAC MINI

9. I need some GOOD powersurge protection (was not at home, but computer was uploading images from weekends' show).

a. does anyone know about drives that just won't spin up enough to load entirely?

b. RECOMMEND THE TOP OF THE LINE POWERSURGE PROTECTION. I don't care about backup power, I do about stopping the frying.

*cue sobbing*

(really, I'm cursing up a storm but I'm sure I'll sob soon enough)
//Leah

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    Best buy and other electronics stores have surge protectors...range in price from $20 upto approx $90....the difference being in the amount they are willing to insure your equipment for...states on package........

It may be possible to recover the data from that drive using software like Stellar Phoenix .............it has saved my butt once or twice now.

ALWAYS HAVE AT LEAST 3 BACK UP COPIES OF ALL IMPORTANT DATA.....NOT JUST PHOTOS .....EVERYTHING!!!!

YUP I AM YELLING AT YOU NOW!!!!!!

Done yelling............
    Tiger Direct has had Hitachi 1tb drives for under $90 and sometimes they even have seagates externals for the same price.....

There are recovery services out there that dismantle your drive and get the platters to spin and recover to another hdd or tons of disks but they are expensive......talking several dollars per MB.....yeah MB......not GB ......so the last one I checked on a 320gb was going to be near $5000...........
    Recovered with Stellar Phoenix above.........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• KhristenKhristen Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    I feel your pain. I had an issue with one of my hd's also. I sent it to a company who did not charge me a dime unless they could recover my info. TR Logic (google them- they were very cooperative) I also thought that my HD was just not getting enough power to really let me access my info. However, when I sent it to TR logic they told me the read arm was damaged beyond repair. They kept the HD for a few weeks and ordered another part to try to recover the data but it was useless. My HD had actually dropped about 3 feet when it slid out of it's sleeve while I was carrying it.
    Anyway, I did not have to pay a dime even though they went through the process of ordering specific parts to fix mine. The parts had to be from a particular model, make, date manufactured etc. I went in expecting the best but experienced the worst. I lost pictures from my only sons birth. Even now it makes me want to cry but moral is: I back it all up now. Two and three times over.
    I'm sorry this happened to you. Hopefully your data can be recovered.